New fanfaire decided yet?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Proximoe, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Proximoe Elder

There should be a get together for us nerds, any new plans since Easter didn’t pan out?
  2. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

You haven't checked in the hotel yet?

It's being held at the Hotel California....you can check in but can never leave ....muhahahaha :D
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

4. Raccoo Augur

Guess we all missed it cause not enough time given for those of us with jobs/families. How disappointing.
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Proximoe and klanderso like this.
  6. Danaleigh Elder

7. Greymantle Augur

Why not have one in Toronto ?
  8. Ryino Elder

That seems like an odd place to have it when the company is based in San Diego.
    klanderso likes this.
  9. Greymantle Augur

True, but the player base is not. Toronto is central to NA.
  10. AcemoneyFV Augur

Let's be real, that WAS it.
  11. Jalelorf Augur

Agree. That was it and their timing was awful. Hardly enough to plan at trip to San Diego.
  12. Raccoo Augur

According to the guy from Evercast, who went to both the brew day and the museum thing, the museum thing was the Fan faire. He's the closest thing to authority on the subject that I know of, since I don't know anyone else that actually went to the events.
  13. Sancus Augur

Well, klanderso liking Beimeith's post is probably worth something.
    klanderso likes this.
  14. KermittheFroglok Augur

I think the Comic Con mueseum was the "fan event". I think players started saying fan Fan Faire, not DBG? I don't doubt here or there someone from DBG might have responded to references to the event as a Fan Faire because the community was calling the event as that and used the term in that responsive context, but I never had the expectation they'd throw a huge event like a full blown Fan Faire.

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble but re-read Holly Windstalker's anniversary message. I personally think she was very clear and set a pretty clear expectation.

"We are collaborating with the upcoming Comic-Con Museum in San Diego to hold an EverQuest fan event..."

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-20th-anniversary-producers-letter-march-16-2019

Nothing stops people or guilds from coordinating unofficial smaller regional gatherings? Heck, even the old 90's Star Wars Customizable Card Game player base has a committee to coordinate events and mini tournaments.
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Was planning on going. Ended up going on a different vacation instead. No news = no point.
  16. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Jan 23rd:

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-anniversary-producers-letter-january-2019

March 16th (supposedly):

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-20th-anniversary-producers-letter-march-16-2019

Pretty clear that was it. And I don't know about any of you, but I don't recall any March 16th producer letter, and its interesting to me that NO ONE ever mentioned this on these forums, including on the threads asking about the get together.

So was this actually released on March 16th and somehow no one noticed? The original thing was:

"We also want to celebrate with you IRL! We’re working on pulling together an EQ fan event so we can hang out with you, our honored guests. Timing for that event is likely to be summer, but I’m hoping to announce more details on timing/location in March for those who want to plan ahead with your own family, guildies, and friends and join us!"

But no announcement ever came, and I have never heard anyone mention that March producer letter.
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

18. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I went to both to show my support for EQ.
  19. Raccoo Augur

Yay, I know someone! Now I'm not as disappointed.
  20. KermittheFroglok Augur

The March 16th letter happened, you can even see the link to it on EQ's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/10703556362/posts/10155913532971363/

If you look, there are threads where people are discussing the announcement and I think Roxxlyy even chimed in on a few of them.

Again, I don't think DBG ever set the expectation that a Fan Faire would occur. To me the first thing that I can find that setup that expectation was the first episode of the EQ show which ISN'T a DBG communication, it's fan made.

Planning conferences or events like that is really hard and takes a lot of time and resources to prepare. For a couple years, I held a leadership role in a youth organization that hosted fall and summer conferences ranging from 2,000 to 10,000 participants and they usually needed the venue booked close to 18-24 months in advance, ideally earlier. Also, the organization had two full time employees to facilitate the planning and vendor management ontop of a contingent of a half dozen seasonal part time staff and dozens of volunteers.

Imagine planning an elaborate wedding with a huge guest list and making it 4 days long.

I'd like to see something on the east coast but I'm happy EQ has had so much this year so I don't mind.