Everquest article on ArsTechnica

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by svann, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Lilura Augur

People coming back will have to relearn their class because many have changed, the shaman most of all. I spoke to an old friend who played a shaman back in the day. On raids she said she slowed, dotted and healed the cleric. I pointed out that in modern raiding she wouldn't even be grouped with a cleric, she'd be with melee DPS and their sole healer and DPS enhancer and that she shouldn't have a single DoT loaded even with 13 spell gems. That got an 'ugh' response.
  2. Daedly Augur

I am not trying to imply you are wrong, I am genuinely curious.
    You don't load any dots at all, what do have up?
    There are I believe 3 direct heals, 2 group heals, 1 AE heal, 1 group HoT, Dissident, probably gift DD for heal Twincast, canni, then maybe slow and resist debuff that I can think would always be loaded. Assuming those are loaded, that's 12 spells, you wouldn't even load your combo dot?

In writing this all out, man shamans need more spell slots lol.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

“We’re basically stunned by it ourselves,” says Holly “Windstalker” Longdale, executive producer of EverQuest at Daybreak Games. “I’ve played them all. The majority are gone now. But we’ve been making more money year over year since I started working on this game. Our special sauce at this point has been nostalgia and reaching out to people who want to play it again.”

But please realize a lot of us are 10, 15 or 20 years older then whenever we first started the game. Let's not make nostalgia a painful process. Some returning players are raiders and want to get back into the raiding game. Some are casuals who want to try raiding when they come back. Most returning players are going to be playing the non raiding game as they get leveled up to raid or to just play if they don't want to raid. Make sure the game is inviting and fun for those on the Live servers who come back due to nostalgia but want to play the current modern EQ.
  4. Lilura Augur

Growth
    Incapacity
    Swell
    3 single target heals (Reckless)
    1 group heal
    prehistoric
    tevik
    single target Unity for the rezzed
    Dissident
    frostbitten gift
    cloud of renewal
    Daedly likes this.
  5. Allayna Augur

I’d like to see Druids get the ability to load multiple from the resurgence line.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

“Everyone’s getting older. We all seem to know someone going through serious health problems,” says Angie “Istraa” Dwyer, leader of the EQ guild Final Empire on the Povar server. “There is no influx of younger people, whereas with WoW there’s constantly young people joining it. I can’t remember the last time I met someone under 30 unless their parents played, too.”
    In an increasingly competitive field—not just in the MMO-sense, but for attention and free time at large—what inspires players to keep a shrinking, distinctly un-modern game alive? Maybe certain gameplay aspects made EQ feel different from its MMO brethren at the start, but in retrospect the secret to the game's survival depends more on impactful, longstanding relations between players.

I think this is another important part of the article that it is worth the notice of DBG and players alike. We are an aging population and worth remembering in expansion design.

I think the bigger thing to note is obvious I guess. Our having a much older game population probably has a lot to do with the longetivity of EQ. Yeah its sort of a chicken egg thing but overall we have a more mature player group and I think that does a lot to create an environment that keeps people playing. Not to say you don't get very young but mature players but..........

And another reason for server mergers, at least for the low pop servers, more folks around lends to making more meaningful connnections with others and those bonds will help keep the game going.
  7. Conq Augur

You're doing it wrong. Good shaman does all that and dots and makes parse. I'm watching shaman parse top 10 in damage on boss, on adds as well as show up top 5 on the same raids' heal parse.
    Conq
  8. Angahran Augur

Sure nostalgia is a good thing for a long running game, but eventually you are going to run out of players due to the simply fact that we won't live forever :p
    If you continue to refuse to do anything to even attempt to attract new players then EQ will die.
  9. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Like... what can you do?

It's a 20 year old game. It looks like it and it plays like it. The people who would even consider coming for the first time is already an extremely limited market.

I'm not saying it's impossible to bring new people in, but... might need to manage expectations on that front. How much development time should reasonably be directed that way as opposed to providing reasons for those who are playing to stick around?
  10. Brohg Augur

Because you dislike druids?
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think they have thought of that. Pretty sure it's all part of the expected end of EQ. I can't argue that money spend on attracting new players would probably not be well spent. Definitely pursue any free or near to free methods but you could argue that is exactly what things like this article do they at least get the eq name out there. Unfortunately the article portrays a somewhat accurate state of the game if you ignore the fact it really concentrates on the raiding side of things.
  12. AcemoneyFV Augur

YouTube is actually great for EQ. Quiet a few videos with over 250,000 views. Sure, it's not huge numbers but by looking at the comments, you can see lots of potential new players/people wanting to come back.

The one downfall most people talk about are the graphics, mainly people who have never played EQ but want to. The other issue most people talk about is not having the time to return, which is a huge reason for lots of people I'm sure.
    Spellfire and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  13. Allayna Augur

Because Druids are the only priest who cannot. Even Paladins can load multiple group heals from the same line. Clerics and shaman both do that.
    Druids are stuck with the 1 spell each from resurgence line, adrenaline line and panavida line.

3 or 4 from the resurgence line would be much better and would bring them in line with the other priests.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.