Guess someone rubbed the magic lamp

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CatsPaws, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Aurastrider Augur

Of course they will which is why the people that outright object to mergers at all don't like the idea. Just look at the top raid guilds and how many come from low population servers. Who's guild do you think is going to be consumed the larger successful one or the smaller one? If you merge multiple smaller servers there wont be that one dominant guild that takes from all the others. What you might see are smaller guilds merging. Either way this part has no direct impact on me so merge away. When guilds are destroyed and players quit you will know why.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Once prices rationalize on merged servers everything is equal again. Nothing to see here.
  3. Aurastrider Augur

Or you are someone who stands to profit and benefit the most from this merger? You have the dominant economy. You have probably the largest casual guild on live. Of course you only see how this benefits you so you are correct nothing to see here. This comes down to you poaching and a fast cash grab nothing else.

On a side note I don't think you are actually trying to profit from this but you can at least see how this looks from the perspective of someone on a smaller server. If its numbers you really want you should be trying to merge with another large population server unless you are afraid you might end up being the one that gets consumed.
    code-zero likes this.
  4. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

That quote, if accurate, brings me some sense of relief. As the rumor mill tends to get rampant and the latest was TBL was the last Story Boarded expac SOE sold DBG fueled the mongers to say 25 was it. Hearing that 26 is on the table and from all indications from the FoH AMA the Expacs will continue to roll out with DBG's taking the game further into the future.

My addiction thanks you Holly!!
  5. Morthakia Augur

Aurastrider — I understand the attempt but I don’t think it is fair to compare servers to real world economies. The “powerful” guilds are powerful because they raid. And raid gear is no drop. From my experience, raiders tend to have LESS contribution to the server economy than the group players because everything they pursue is not tradable. To use your analogy, imagine if the USA were to merge with Mexico, but all of the advanced goods produced by the USA could only be consumed by those that produce them.

While I agree that smaller guilds will lose people to larger guilds, I don’t think that the economies on “weaker” servers will be disrupted. In my experience, some of the “richest” players, in terms of both plat and items, come from these weaker servers. My server would be considered one of the “weaker” ones on the basis of no current content raid guild and possibly lower population, but we have players here with 100+ Krono and 50+ million platinum (one guy I’m thinking of in particular only plays 2 characters).
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

On a side note saying I am trying to profit from it then saying you don't think I am trying to profit from it doesn't wash :). Can't have your cake and eat it too. Sort of puts the thought out there without owning it. Are you still beating your wife Mr Smith?

I see smaller servers merging with Xegony creating more opportunities for casual guilds to rise up. Most of the almost 20 years I have run Lions we have had many healthy casual guilds besides ours. For many reasons we don't anymore. But a merger will bring in more people and more chances for more guilds to flourish and while guildleaders and officers might suffer losing guilds I think the players themselves end up benefitting from being in healthier guilds. And that is what it is about. Healthy guilds help keep existing players playing and encourage returning players to stay.

You can ask players in my guild and recent recruits things have not changed in Lions from day one. I welcome players to join us and try us out but I always stress that if they feel they can have more fun in another guild I encourage them to act on it. I always tell people they are free to use Lions as a stepping stone to raid guilds. Level up with us and move on if that is what will make the game fun for you. I have two mottos. Everquest shouldn't be a job and people should always do what will make the game fun for them as long as it isn't at the expense of others. As far as running my guild I know I put player needs above trying to hold on to folks who might have more fun elsewhere.

And I guess I can see a low pop struggling guilds wanting mergers with other low pop servers because they think the luck of the draw might favor them into absorbing some other struggling guild. No matter what there will be guild mergers. In both situations.

I think if someone wants to look for selfish reasons you can find them on either side of this issue. Do I want players to join my guild? Sure do, I think for the right folks its a great place to be. But I would not promote merging small servers with large ones if I thought it would bad for the player base as a whole.

Server mergers no matter how they are done will cause some short term pain for some folks. In the long run I think they make for a healthier game overall and that the best results will be by merging small pop servers with large pop ones.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I can see DBGs rationale about merging small servers. Large pop servers seem to be working so don't mess with them. Don't think it is the right approach but I can see it.

Or maybe they think it will be less technically challenging.

Wish I could see things from the DBG side :) I really do want what is best for the playership as a whole but hard to figure out when you don't have all the info. *sighs*
  8. Aurastrider Augur

How much time have you spent playing the economy game in EQ? I spent significant time myself and I can tell you how disruptive one player transferring over with a large plat stockpile can be compared to the players on the server. They target all of the high value items, out bid everyone else because they can and then transfer off and make bank on their home server. Take this same scenario and multiply it exponentially. Yes there are some players who have a large amount of wealth on smaller servers but they are the minority of the overall population. The poorest players on the smaller server will get hit the hardest. The only way for low population players to combat this is to hoard goods now. Their plat will lose value immediately. Item x that sells for 10pp today might be worth 100pp after the merger while the 100pp they saved might only translate to 10pp after inflation. The smart move would be to plat dump and invest it all in goods in anticipation and hope you don't invest in the wrong market.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

In the end things may be better or worse for individual players but overall the larger the economy the less impact these players have. Yes even on the largest server there are probably players with enough plat to mess up the economy but I don't see it happening often.

I can see if you are a bazaar wheeler and dealer on a small server you could be worried about being overwhelmed by larger servers. And larger servers probably have cheaper prices for items due to a greater supply so all that inventory being held might lose value. But that ends up being good for the average player in the long run.

And to be honest looking at how few players are bazzar/barter players on Xegony I can't imagine that many on smaller servers. I would not stop small/large server mergers because it might hurt a few folks. In the end the larger economy will be the healthier economy.
  10. Aurastrider Augur

My side note is mostly because I have followed you on the forums so I don't think your intentions come with bad intent just ignorance to understanding the perspective of someone who plays on a smaller server and doesn't want to be consumed. Had I not followed you I might think you are just out for power and a cash grab which is how it appears when a larger entity wants to "merge" with a smaller. I would much rather merge with other smaller servers for reasons already stated. Maybe it's hard for you to understand that because you have only played on a large server. Smaller servers do have their benefits also such as less camp disruption and disputes over resources. I have no interest in over crowding and TLP dps race tactics.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I may be conceited but I actually think I am a rather smart fellow. And in general I do pretty well looking at multiple side of an issue and trying to see them fairly. Or at least that is what I think of myself and sometimes get told by others. Yes I take great pride in my modesty. And I don't think I have any problems imagining things on smaller servers. I have actually occasionally played on them just to see what they are like actually. And actually viewed the baz and barter to get an idea of what those servers are like. Just to see what things are like. You read stuff but its always good to see it too.

Xegony is already supposed to be one of the big servers but we have none of the problems you talk about. We have pick zones and instances. There will be no overcrowding and DPS races. MAYBE there would be fewer places in static zones where botters could afk play with no one else in the zone but I consider that a good thing. And the issues you speak in this post would be method agnostic anyway. Whether you merge large and small or all small servers you could end up with the same population levels in the end.
  12. Angahran Augur

If they would apply the advloot to forage and fishing that would be awesome!
    Set rusty daggers and waterlogged shoes to never :)
    Ssdar, Yinla, Elyssanda and 2 others like this.
  13. Lilura Augur

From the article:

The game has suffered a bit as late, and the last expansion, The Burning Lands, was rather poorly received. Longdale said she was distracted with an 18-month project (she would not disclose what exactly) that took her attention away from the game and left someone less experienced in charge, but now she is back.

Any ideas what Windstalker was doing?
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Battle Royale?
  15. Belexes ForumQuester

If the lamp was magic, shiite would already be in place.

You all need to relax and quit grasping for straws that aren't really there. Just play.