Next Expansion Monk Ideas

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Lisard, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Lisard Silly

Its half way through the expansion time of year. I thought we could spit ball some monk ideas for next expansions, rather then trying to cram all our thoughts in during beta =P. these ideas can include AA, Combat Abilities (disciplines such as speed focus, Heel ect, as well as spamming discipline such as Synergy, torrent of fists, hoshkar's fang etc.), Skills (h2h, 1hb, 2hb, Flying Kick, Tigers Claw etc.) some thought into things we haven't seen upgraded in awhile, outside the normal/obvious upgrades we get every expansion.

Keep it constructive, if someone lists a silly idea to you, there is no reason to flame them, just explain why it would not work and move on. Don't be shy either, all walks of life monks ideas matter!

I'll start it off with something simple =D

AA. Extended Impenetrable Discipline: Add more Ranks currently it is 2/2 ranks (House of Thule Expansion was last update) which makes Earthforce Discipline (the impenetrable line of disciplines) duration 40 seconds (give or take a second or two, ran some tests in brothers island just now on 06/05/19 and it lasted between 36 seconds and 41 seconds depending on ms/server ticks, the average was 40.), propose adding 3 more ranks making it 5/5. Rank 3/5 would add 6 seconds, rank 4/5 would add 8 seconds, rank 5/5 would add 10 seconds, making the final duration 1 minute 4 seconds depending on server ticks/ms. Earthforce is a defensive discipline monks use for pulling, spot tanking and it also adds a very small DPS portion that monks use to fill in the gaps between their primary DPS disciplines. Earthforce is something every monk uses both in group content and raid content. (monks never use voiddance or whirlwind anymore due to the super long reuse (30 minutes) and very little defensive property. 99% of all monks probably haven't used whirlwind or Voiddance in over 4-5 years due to them sharing a Cool down (same reuse timer) with Earthforce Discipline.

Skill. 1H Blunt, 2H Blunt, Hand to Hand, Throwing: would love to see a skill cap increase on these. Currently they are sitting at 450 (throwing is 430) for their caps. dont think we have gotten a bump to these in a long while, maybe raise them to 555 to match our skills like Flying kick, Tiger Claw etc currently.
  2. Monkman Augur

Thank you Lisard for starting this discussion. Definitely worthwhile for us to talk about it now rather than beta when most of the changes are set in stone.

Something I’ve mentioned over and over again... make H2H/1hb a viable dps option. Either make it so they’re equal to 2hb or something creative where 2hb is the “solo tank/defensive” set up and DW is the group/raid dps combo.

Would love to see some of our timers unlinked (you mentioned whirlwind/voiddance) I haven’t used either of these in forever. An alternative would be to reduce the refresh on whirlwind so that it is similar to our shaded step/eye of the storm option in regards to cooldowns.

Additionally, and this may be a pipe dream.. I would love to see our alliance work similar to rogues where as anyone in the raid using poisons can “help” proc alliance... possibly anyone using a variation of “kick” can help us fulminate alliances... again one can dream right?

I have more to add but am typing on my phone at work :X
  3. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Change how Alliance for Monks works so other classes can help trigger it. How many guilds have more than 1 or 2 Monks that raid? We have one token Monk and 1 app atm. There's by and large none to recruit.

A suggestion would be to have Monks and Zerkers trigger each other's Ally as they both work so similarly. Berserkers aren't really out in force, either. Would aid both classes performance on raids. Both classes have one job in modern raids: do damage. This would help them do just that.
  4. Brohg Augur

a generically Martial covenant? that would help the isolated players, but lower the damage of those who do get to raid in balanced forces
    menown likes this.
  5. Skalde Elder

Maybe that's because raid guilds don't recruit monks so they ended up going with another class? In all seriousness alot of "ideal melee groups" never include monks sadly.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I suppose you're concern is over a stacking issue with either Ally debuff? If you have 3 zerkers and 3 monks organizing fulminations, wouldn't that cause quicker fulminations and increase people's dps? I mean, we have 6 high raid attendance ranger mains and we do just fine with it.
  7. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

It's possible. I wouldn't say we actively recruit them as high priority but the potential damage output of a Monk doesn't discourage us from taking a look see at a Monk candidate. They have a really impressive burst.
  8. DaciksBB Augur

At this point I just want to see alliance funimations tied to combat skills rather than procs. It never made sense that we melee are the only classes whose covenants are purely rng. Yes it is possible for
    2 monks to fulminate but I've only ever seen it when one is using Speed Focus.

Would also love to see a proc tied to Dragon Punch/Tail Swipe

Would like to see an upgrade to Eye of the Storm and Terrorpalm Discipline. Seems like Terrorpalm falls further behind Heel and Speed Focus every time IoT gets an upgrade. Eye of the Storm's bonus damage is super dated and it's melee damage increase is only 45% vs the 20% on Zan Fi.
    Sancus likes this.
  9. Thrillho Augur

I like the way the monk class has been getting slow improvements over the past few years. It keeps us from being the flavour of the month, and keeps us away from the nerf hammer. I don't want to ask for too much, but I do see some improvements that could be made.

Alliance - change the fulmination method. The above suggestions are good. Could also add if a second alliance is cast, it decreases the amount of procs remaining or increases damage. Coordination can be troublesome for some people. And reducing the amount of procs needed would help two monks fulminate.

Heel - have it impact all kicks, not just flying kick. Not that we use Kick or Round Kick that often, but those two have utilities tied to them (stun and snare) which could benefit from Heel. Stun locking is the only benefit I could see here, but there may be others. At the cost of damage output, it might be worth it. Certainly wouldn't be overpowering.

Ironfist - Overdue for some sort of improvement. The damage output on it is seriously lacking compared to the other three we use. I regularly hear of monks using this only for Crane, then clicking it off in favour of another disc.

Stacking issues - Bard Fierce Eye with our IoT, Vehement with whatever, Ton Po with Destructive, etc. Would be nice to see a reduction in conflicts.

Zan fi - currently 7.5 minutes on, 0.5 minutes off. Make this permanently on. It'll save us a click.

Tiger's Poise - significant reduction in timer to be more in line with our disc timers.

Post-death endurance regen - very difficult to regain adequate endurance after a death. The hiatus cooldown timer is crazy long (if you die shortly after you use it, which is likely considering you have no buffs, you can't use this again on the next rez). The Breather line worked great, it would be nice to see that again. With the way FD works (or doesn't work) against higher level raid bosses, we can no longer drop combat / breather / re-engage, so there's less concern of us abusing a new Breather.

ADPS - monks have never been one for adps, and it shows. Masters synergy and stc have been beneficial, to the point where monks can actually be in demand in a raid. It would be nice to see another adps bump - something similar to the rogue's flanking damage (I forget what this one is called).

Aggro - add more hate reduction to Silent Strikes, and add more hate production to the BP (unnerf this). Being able to pull aggro a bit is useful at times. If we don't want it, we can use SS to mitigate.

Destructive force - our only ae. Would be nice to have an additional ae, or a significant reduction in the timer.
    Ezbro likes this.
  10. Duder Augur

My monks is 6.5m, max aa and raid extended enhancement, am I missing something? is still 30s off, so I imagine its just a lapse
  11. Lisard Silly

Discipline. Protection of the Shadewalker: this was introduced and immediately forgotten about during Reign of Fear expansion, a neat concept but flawed heavily in its usage (as in i dont think anyone has ever actually used this). I propose adding an upgrade but this time make it a Self buff in the song window, make its duration 1 minute or 10 charges, and those charges Mend your groups Hit Point (15k), Mana (10k), Endurance (10k) when ever a Spell or Melee hit strikes you. Currently I use the reject death line of abilities which is on the same timer as protection of the shadewalker (which is never used, ever) this would make the player have to chose between having a fail safe by using Reject death on themselves or choosing to use an option to help their group. give it a 10-15 minute reuse.

Discipline. Ironfist Discipline: This was last upgraded in House of Thule Expansion. there are many applications for this disc in how you chose to apply it. nowadays I personally find myself letting it run its full duration on every raid event lately only because of how the events work (running around to different mobs, scripts, length of raid etc.). There are some raid events that are over in under 2 minutes (crypt robbers in RoS, Rustbottom in GMM as examples) where some may find them selves only using it to boost the initial Crane/FPP/Synergy spam then clicking it off for Heel to fluff their parse numbers. In either situation, would love to see an upgrade to this discipline line. Perhaps, to break the mold of what this Discipline line has always done, maybe add in some bells and whistles such as add a 50-100% twinstrike Mod to it.
    ref. Twinstrike = this passive ability grants 5% chance to twincast skill attack combat abilities that cost at least 10 endurance
  12. Lisard Silly

ya think it was just a fat monk finger =P 6 minutes 30 seconds duration, 7 minute reuse. 30 second gap...either way making this a permanent buff would be amazing.
  13. Duder Augur

yes please
  14. Duder Augur

Those two things would make an over the moon Dooder
  15. Lisard Silly

yes please. maybe something like these?

AA. Ton Po's Bo Stick Sweep: you perform a radius attack around you striking all enemies within 40 foot radius with 2-3 primary hand combat rounds and stunning them for 1 second. 3-5 minute reuse

I suggested that during beta last year. mostly because i like the sound of the AA =P Ton Po's Bo Stick of Understanding has a one hundred blows proc (which did DD and a spin stun), Similar to War/Zerker Rampage but instead of 5 hits we would get the reduced hits for the trade of of the stun =P

AA. Destructive Force / Focused Destructive Force: Last updated in Call of the Forsaken Expansion, and heavily Neutered with the AE nerfs in The Broken Mirror (destructive force AE round only does 25% of the damage). Currently the AA has the reuse at 15m. Requesting further AA to bring it down to 5-10 minutes reuse
  16. Ditka Journeyman

Group Mend AA !
  17. Thrillho Augur

Brain fart. I knew it was 7 minutes for something and 30 seconds for something else. I figured it was 7+30, not 7-30. Either way, it should be permanent by now.
  18. Sancus Augur

I only started playing a monk like a month ago, and have been kind of skimming this thread out of curiosity. What's the stacking conflict with IoT (Infusion of Thunder?)?
  19. Monkman Augur

Vehement Rage and IoT don’t stack

I thought awhile back they messed around with FE stacking... could be wrong
    Lisard likes this.
  20. Lisard Silly

they buff stack fine...maybe he was thinking of intensity of the resolute buff blocking with iot. but i think they fixed that now.