I'm a Chanter and wish they would massively nerf charm

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ethyre, May 29, 2019.

1. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

You can still choose to play an Enchanter by only CCing.

If no one wants to play with you because you insist on not playing up to your class' full potential, that's your choice.
    Renshu and code-zero like this.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

Yes, you had some chanters charming, but the vast majority were not.
  3. Kobra Augur

Here is how you fix "problem"

Put buff on charm spell that when it breaks any PC it hits does double damage.

Now you have proper risk/reward. Keep everything else same just make it do more damage against player. Skilled chanter/necro can control pet, bad chanter/necro will be killed.
  4. jack of all trades Elder

You guys are a bunch of snowflake sissies. Enchanters are not "end all be all", even in classic content. Yes, the charm pets are solid DPS. Yes, they can buff and CC. No, they cannot heal, they will die if they screw up, and YES there is still risk involved. Has it gotten easier? Significantly, from fine tuning resist checks, to player knowledge and experience.

You don't like to charm? SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP. You don't have to do it. But like several have said in this thread, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

You claim to have played an enchanter for 18 years, and that you were "always told to be good." Well, when you aren't using EVERYTHING in your arsenal to play, you're not good. In fact, you're lazy.

Charm doesn't need fixing. You newbs need to learn how to play in THIS day and age, or quit.
    code-zero likes this.
  5. atomi New Member

I want to play a warrior but don't pull, because my job is standing there to be hit like a sandbag.
    I want to play a shaman but don't canni/dot, because my job is buff/slow.
    I want to play a bard but don't mez/DS/..., because my job is melody selo/mana/haste to death.
    I want to play a wizard but don't root/evac, because my job is DD to oom then afk for 10min.
    I want to play a magician but don't DS/rod/pet offtank, because my job send pet for assist.

Enchanter is nothing to do during raid, if charm nerfs, we are going to be No.1 AFK class in group, sounds good.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. Renshu Augur

Back on live during POP, I was maining a druid and became friends with an enchanter who liked to charm. We'd duo for exp in PoP zones and get way more exp/loot than a traditional group. Very, very few people were charming back then. I think too many people were afraid. EQ was a slower game back then and people didn't want any extra risk of death. Now, EQ is a faster game, death doesn't mean as much, and a group without charm (in early expansions) gets EXP at about half rate.

If they mess with charm, without giving groups another way to get fast exp, I'd imagine the next round of TLP's would tank. Leveling up is the least fun part of the game for many people, don't make it take longer.
  7. urbanbo70 Elder

I think you hit it on the head here. This is the mentality I remember, being deep in guk or seb and the group not wanting to risk charm breaking on that 5 pull resulting in a wipe. Most people these days do not have any idea what a nightmare retrieving your corpse could be. Rogues were much more useful then with CR. Maybe we should just go back to CR's?
  8. HoodenShuklak Augur

Yeah, if you're going to nerf charm then it has to go hand in hand with bringing back corpse runs.

How come rogues arent more vocal about how they've been nerfed and sidelined so hard yet we have here 25 yr eq vets clammoring about how they're so strong they need to nerf themselves?
  9. Nessirfiti Augur

Hard no! I don't miss losing gear because of looting bugs at all.
    I'm a rogue main, and although I wouldn't call rogues sidelined in later expansions I'd like to see them brought up to parity with monks and zerkers. But I'm not going to call for nerfs to monks and zerkers to do it.
  10. Hadesborne Augur

Charm isn't broken, it requires effort and risk. Players have gotten better at reducing the risks and corpse runs have been removed, but there still are plenty of risks. Managing pets alone can be a pain. Mobs can chain break the charm and then your set way behind and are now in downtime mode. Charming random mobs doesn't need to be nerfed. Charming Named tho? Well that could be fixed.
  11. taliefer Augur

please remove taunt from the warrior class. all id like to do is stand behind the mob and apply my critical hits, but everyone always expects me to use my taunt skill to grab the mobs attention.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

Charming the ghoul assassin though for those monster backstab numbers though...
  13. Thalliius Augur

Lol I love when people jump in with the “charming is super hard and risky!!!”

Leveled with a friend from 10ish to 60 without a single death from Charm breaking. When PoP hit he has 2 total deaths from charm breaks and one of them was because he was AFK

It’s beyond ridiculous to try and defend the OP nature of charm because of “risk”. I love the hyperbole tho, “mobs can chain break the charm and then you’re set WAY BEHIND and in DOWNTIME mode.”

lolol... “way behind”, only an entitled enchanter who lacks perspective would look at it that way. Way behind in reference to what exactly? Another group with enchanter(s) that are chainsawing thru mobs? A little hiccup in your slaughter fest doesn’t put you way behind anything, and it rarely happens.. you’re still WAY AHEAD of any group that doesn’t have an enchanter

It’s one thing to want to keep your broken mechanic, it’s entirely another to try and pass off your EZ Button charming as some risky, high skill level maneuver.. hope you don’t hurt your arm patting yourself on the back so much

Risky... lol, comedy gold.. can’t make this stuff up. Thanks for the laugh on this Friday morning
    kjempff likes this.
  14. Thalliius Augur

Can’t wait to /emote pee on every enchanter I see once OoW comes out and they have their EZ Button taken away from them
  15. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Charm is not risky but asking for it to be nerfed is akin to asking for Wizard's spell damage to be nerfed or Shamans to have Canni taken away.

It's a tool in the class' toolbox. If you don't want to use it, don't use it, but it's how the class works.

If you want to be a KEI bot that casts mez every once in a while, feel free, but that doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.
  16. Thalliius Augur

Yup, I’ve been in groups where the charmed pet was tanking, and was parsing over 50% of the groups total damage.. more than 3 dps classes. It’s stupidly broken but they won’t fix it, which is why I look forward to OoW on Selos. I just laugh at the try hards that won’t admit it’s broken and act like its perfectly reasonable for an enchanter to basically fill the role of 3-4 classes by themselves with 1 spell where they can bind a hot key for /pet attack.. of course they need to have ELITE skills in case the charm breaks and they need to hit 2-3 buttons to stun/mez/recharm every 5 minutes while a cleric heals them or someone else snares/roots it. Those kinds of elite skills are only gifted to a select few of God’s creations
  17. Thalliius Augur

Fixed that for you
  18. yerm Augur

I used charm back in the day too. People didn't die to charm breaks much then either, unless they were bad or afk or didn't understand and prepare for it. People today understand charm and are prepped with stuns or short mezzes, necs using st, etc. If you did that in 2002 you didn't die due to charm much then either.

Like it or not, most people used to just not be great at eq. Knowledge wasn't as shared, experience at eq wasn't as developed. If dbg managed to whip out some magical clone of eq as it existed when loy released, and today's tlpers jumped onto it, the enchanters would be charming and slaughtering and living through it.
  19. Nessirfiti Augur

It's hilarious that you're this upset about enchanters charming in the dullest expansions.

Frankly I'm not sure why I care about enchanter charming, beyond I hate it when people demand things are nerfed. And a general distaste for people who play on Mangler, and a lesser amount Selos demanding the game be changed to suit them.
    code-zero likes this.
  20. Vorlic Journeyman

I 100% agree.