Zephyr Named Need to be TONED DOWN

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Geko, May 21, 2019.

1. Natal Augur

The problem is that named difficulty is not arranged logically by tier. Some of the most difficult nameds in RoS are in OT, the starting zone, for example, while many of those in tier 2 zones are quite easy.
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Natal Augur

All group warriors have monks armed with Ascending sun battle staffs in their box teams of course. This is well known.

Give real advice please.

His basic problem is the tank dying. If the tank does not die, he wins. Amazing dps from melee means absolutely nothing if the tank dies. His tank probably has to sacrifice survivability to improve hate in that scenario, so that added dps may actually be hurting him. He needs to figure out how to avoid the tank dying, and if that means sacrificing some damage output to even out incoming spikes, then that is what he needs to do.
  3. Natal Augur

This is correct, mercs take a bit to get up to speed, if you depend on them healing from the start you will likely have some issues. On a named you should always start with fort. Use that time to position and burn non-disc damage abilities. When fort fades, flash and use the 6 seconds to start defensive. Don't use other long duration mitigation abilities until defensive fades. This will allow you to keep even damage absorption capability going for the duration of the fight. Make sure to use your offensive discs in the period where you have your non-disc big rune abilities running (your spot healer should spam heal when this is going on to reduce risk).

If you have a shaman on the crew, make sure he is ready to hit one of his AE heals as soon as the named AEs the group with a DoT or DD. These are the things that will represent the biggest threat to the group, so have to be dealt with fast. Other than that, he will be dotting the named or spam healing the tank, depending on how well the tank is standing up at that point in time.

Oh, and use glyphs. Those can change the difficulty of the fight dramatically.
  4. Funk Augur

Are you blind? Read my post pal, you'll see I gave him the full list of what to do on his warrior. The monk weapon doesn't have to be best in slot so have a solid burn.. that's not the point.

I gave him solid warrior advice. All you did was make a weak attempt to scold me without bothering to read.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

I have never seen a tank have to decide between aggro and survivabilty on a single mob.
    I've seen bad tanks fail to aggro properly, but I have not seen any tank have an issue if played well (and I've played with all 3 classes of well played tanks vs some serious dps)
    The ONLY exception is if hate buttons aren't up fast enough in a fast chain killing group.
    (wars can struggle a little in a super fast killing group - but mobs die fast enough other than the war wishing he could aggro like a knight, mobs die before it matters)
    Voxynn likes this.
  6. Bamboompow Augur

Sounds like you need (and your friends) to have everything accomplished in the game (outside of raids) prior to attempting these named. Basically that whole character achievement tab should have no white space from CotF on. Its good to have goals and better to have them listed out for you.

Have fun and good luck.
  7. Laronk Augur

I disagree with you, this is tier 1 of a no level increase expansion and auto grant is only to level 85. I think there's a reasonable expectation that you do the other content and prepare yourself properly including having a good number of AA.

At level 110 players should be expected to make good use of their disciplines. In your OP you said you used everything you had and died before getting a heal. The fact that you use final stand instead of culminating stand unless you mispoke is terrible, please use the new versions of your disciplines.

Not only did you say you didn't use flash, if you're having trouble with a named try engaging with fortitude, that gives you 18 seconds of fun time. Then once you start taking damage hit flash for 6 more seconds. Now that you've used up flash you should probably hit blade guardian if you didn't hit it before the fight.

Also nameds shouldn't just be a speed bump in any current expansion zone if you're in group gear.

That said

There's some legit stupid stuff in the progression like mobs that get 12k damage shields and some nameds in tier 1 zones being harder than ones in tier 2
  8. Yimin Augur

Tone down grouped named ? no sorry I don't think that should ever happen , back in the day we would just two group very tough named !

YiMin
  9. Geko Elder

Your suggestions for warrior disc's are spot on. I will correct you on Auto-Grant. It used to be to 85. Now it pushes your AA between 100 - 105 depending on the AA. I know this for sure because when I auto-granted on my monk ... it pushed my Combat Stability to rank 58/78 (Required Level 105).

Another example General Sturdiness 46/60 (Required 105) ... So for most AA it takes you to 105 now.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I took my group-geared Warrior back to Stratos tonight and killed every named except Starshine and Silver Eyes. No deaths. It was so easy I thought maybe they did tone the mobs down.

Now, I know what you're thinking. But my healer set up is: Cleric Merc with 221AA and group geared Shaman with 32k AA. That's it. My Warrior, at 19k AA, has right at 300k HP / 7.2k AC buffed. Dissident 4 and about 30% of his Heroic AA completed. No Alaran tear. some aug slots are not great but most are recent. Jann's Veil. Gnoll Totem completed.

I don't think it's your healers. I think it's you. Try chatting with some higher end warriors on your server or join the serverwide.warriors channel. You might be able to figure out what you're missing. But by my experience tonight, even tanking a named with an add or two was no problem.

Good luck!
    Allayna likes this.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Knight AC works a little differently than War AC. But point taken. You're an overachiever and survive. My War is nowhere close to max and I tank Mearatas named without issue. Stratos named are closer to T3 trash with a couple special abiliites/AE. This is definitely a skill issue. Not a gear/ach/AA issue.
  12. Tucoh Augur

In case anyone is curious I put on the typical buffs my warrior runs with and took a pic of his AC, then took all his buffs off to see what it was. Buffed is 9439, unbuffed 7504.

My warrior has almost BiS group gear and zero raid gear.
    [IMG]

Note that against group mobs I'd bet that the DI curve doesn't look all that different for 9.4kAC vs 8.4k, or even 7.4k. I'd bet that most mitigation comes from misc active buffs like (For warriors) PDH, Brace for Impact, Culminating Stand, Dissident Shield, Anguish BP etc. If I get caught with my pants down and take a couple (or one) round without my buffs up I'm pancaked.
  13. Natal Augur

There are melee who refuse to understand that tank survival is more important than dps, and sometimes you are forced to sacrifice survivability to save their dumb rear ends. Their attitude is that it is their job to deal dps and the tanks job to hold agro, those sorts almost never consider what happens when the tank dies unfortunately.

In fast killing scenarios the problem is usually idiot dps classes who wade in guns blazing before the tank has time to secure stable agro, then complain bitterly about the tanks lack of skill when they inevitably gank the mob and get their sorry a**es owned as a result. If they played with a little intelligence that would not happen, but usually those that brag about their dps capabilities don't do that.
  14. Natal Augur

It is usually the special spells/abilities individual nameds have that cause the problems. Most group tanks in reasonably current gear can tank their normal melee output without serious issues.
  15. Whulfgar Augur

I honestly cant even believe there are tanks out there that have issues with agro at all.. every single tank class right now is beast mode agro wise..

I'm kinda shocked reading the post above.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  16. Natal Augur

They don't. But if you have a BER (or any major dps class for that matter) going full bore at the moment of engagement, there will be a problem due to the spiky nature of both damage and hate generation. The dps can (and probably will) pull agro long enough to potentially get mushed. Then the tank is going to have to waste time and concentration trying to hold agro off them at the start, instead of spending that time ensuring that the mob is safely and securely engaged and placed. All that is needed is for the dps to hold off for a few seconds, but quite a few of them will not do that.

Another issue I have often when real people are in my group is that on a pull with multiple mobs in camp, it is necessary to build initial agro on each of them for safe CC purposes, which means switching of targets. DPS have a nasty habit of not using constant assist at this critical phase, resulting in them pulling agro on mobs I am not currently on. Or damaging mobs I have carefully avoided damaging and putting them into summoning mode. Awesome. This means I have to try to get agro back from them, then get back to the original mob, and things rapidly become an unholy mess. You end up with a situation I can control quite easily with my crew to one that is a potential wipe in a very short period of time. That is the main reason I avoid inviting other people to my crew unless I really trust them.

A successful effort is a team effort, but when one part of the team refuses to play as a part of the team, or doesn't understand the need to, it is a problem.
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, sorry.

Try being a paladin grouping with the monks, zerkers, beastlords, and rangers in my guild (RoI).

Or have an sk fulminate their alliance. Then talk to me about "beast mode agro".
    Thrillho, Whulfgar and gotwar like this.
  18. Whulfgar Augur

I was talking about tanks.. Just teasing.
  19. Tucoh Augur

A big problem with tank aggro is the speed at which things can happen in EQ. A group of mobs can enter the group and split DPS can easily pull aggro off a warrior. If said DPS' few defensive cooldowns are down they could be toasted in a round or two (especially if the mob they've attracted hits them with a big DD). All this can happen in a matter of a few seconds. In calmer paced situations where CDs are up, tanks have so many tools that if DPS is assisting, after a few seconds the warrior should always be able to control aggro, especially due to percentage based abilities like Phantom Aggressor and aggro weapon procs.

That being said, when I group with DPS I tell them to go balls out and let me handle aggro, it's way more fun that way.
  20. Allayna Augur

You spelled "deep" wrong.