Playing in Third Person (I don't even)

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by BlueberryWerewolf, May 13, 2019.

1. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Are you under the impression you've added something to this discussion? My question was earnest and I have appreciated the feedback given.
  2. Visheena New Member

Youre right, my apologies. Maybe I am just upset about things atm. Sorry I projected on you.

Personally i find 1st person worse than 3rd, because without mouse sensitivity corrections, I can see more of whats going around me 360° and react vs 90-180 cone in front with required 100% trust in keybinds allowing me to react to the situation.

If its possible to react to everything around me in 1st it would be the most entertaining choice.

If you have any suggesstions on that, they would be appreciated, if not then thats my experience.
  3. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I have the same problems with 1st person. It's a bit clunky if you're not dealing with things directly in front of you. I just can't seem to wrap my head around using 3rd person (I don't have this problem in other games), but it may be more due to familiarity and muscle memory than anything else. I played the game for about ten years and have just recently come back after about a ten year break, so it's funny to me what still feels natural and what new things I have to learn or learn again.
  4. dinozo_povar Journeyman

I love 1st person, zoomed out with mouse wheel.
    Left click and drag camera to move camera independently of your character. So nice when in melee or autofire.
    It's easy enough to just zoom back in for swimming or lev'ing up and down (or immersion)

nice thread
    (sorry if i'm repeating someone, admittedly I only skimmed the thread)
    BlueberryWerewolf likes this.
  5. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I do think mousewheel out of 1st person is going to be the most viable option for me, as it controls very similarly since you're default facing the same direction as the button alignment.
  6. Kalaxis New Member

I mainly do 3rd person as a tank due to needing more situational awareness. The only exception is the tried and true corner tank method on raids as if you scroll (mouse wheel scroll) out you cannot see a damn thing anyways.
  7. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

When it comes to 'leving down', there's a key for that. I think it defaults to the END key above the directional arrows. I remapped mine to the 0 key on my number pad, cause I have tiny hands.
  8. Kianara Lorekeeper

I always use 3rd person, I've never played in first. I love the more complete view of the area, and as a druid my self buff allows me to be zoomed out even further. The only time I swap into 1st person is when I navigate tunnels or am swimming, or am in a corner facing out.

When it comes to controlling pitch/levi height, it defaults to PgUp and PgDn. At least, that's what it's always been for me.
  9. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

This is just something to literally lower you. You don't have to be moving for it to work. Just poke the button and down you go. Elevator go down!

It's got some weird name in the Options menu, but it's there. Only been there a few years, iirc.
  10. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I do remember this button existing! I have no idea what it was. End sounds like maybe the one but I dunno.

Is this Mandela Effect or does it actually exist? Heh.
  11. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

Move down is what it's called in the Options - I just checked a screenshot I had of all the keymapping I had done. End is the default key for it.

I actually hit it compulsively when I'm fighting - I have no idea why, but I bounce up and down a bit to make sure I still have lev on.
  12. Scorrpio Augur

Another awesome use of 3rd person is for pulling. 3rd view, one can see and target mobs out of one's LoS. Given that Pacify spells do not need LoS, it is real powerful.
  13. Gio-Cefalu Augur

Third person view all day long! You can see more around you (adds, roamers, cliffs, etc). I previously used F9 (or whatever the hotkey was back then) to change views, but once they added mouse-wheel scroll to zoom out, I've used it ever since. That is a fairly common MMO mechanic today with holding right click on the mouse to move your character's direction and hold left click on the mouse to rotate the camera around your mouse. My only complaint is that the zoom distance isn't quite far enough.
    Winnowyl and BlueberryWerewolf like this.
  14. Merker New Member

I am a returning player, casually playing atm. Since I am partial to rogues, due to the challenges that class offers, I often pull and have my tank merc take the aggro after a pull. Due to this fact, i generally play in 3rd person since i need to be aware of what is around us at all times to avoid being wiped out by too many adds. By doing this I can set my merc to passive quickly and pull back to a safer area and set her back to aggressive and avoid a possible wipe. This is situational really. If I were grouped or raiding, I would more likely be in first person as I have others watching my back. I may zoom out from time to time to get a view of the situation but otherwise would be primarily in first person.
  15. Cidran Augur

So happy to see so many people using 1st person! I thought I'd be probably the only one still using it but clearly that's not the case.

I really prefer the focus and immersion you gain in 1st and even it might seem less practical than 3rd person I don't think Everquest is the kind of game that punishes you too badly about it. Also extended target helps a lot with awareness :)
  16. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

It explains a lot of the frustration a lot of people have with the game. Playing in 1st person is like driving a car with no mirrors, no side or rear windows, and only a SMALL portion of the front window available. Go ahead and enjoy your immersion, but you are definitely letting your teammates down by not playing to your full potential and it's hard to have any sympathy when you are having trouble with tougher game mechanics.

I fluidly and constantly switch (yay mouse wheel) between them both. I do not ever use the F9 key (though there may be some benefit some times).

My suggestion is to practice it more: run around different places like towns and dungeons, constantly changing the view distance with the mouse wheel, without fighting anything.

I guess what I'm saying is: learn to walk first.

Changing your view should be as natural and reflexive as breathing or turning left. And if you aren't using the mouse to look and turn...:D
    Aenvar likes this.
  17. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

I played in first person right up to the day they allowed you to set your UI to allow clicking through your character. I never played first person again since that day. Its always 3rd person from that point on.
  18. Cidran Augur

Hi, I appreciate your concern and advice. However I tend to solo a lot so my playstyle doesn't hurt anybody. No need to mention if I had to play 'sensitive' group content I'd do anything in my hand to ensure success.

I agree,3rd person view is very useful and the way to go, though I don't feel it is an absolute must like other games like, for example, Elder Scrolls Online, where the 1st vs 3rd person debate is much more heated!
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  19. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I can't say that situational awareness have ever been a problem for me in groups or raids, though I have only raided content up to GoD or OoW (I forget which - it's been quite a while).

Playing in first person I still find myself often being the one calling out adds and pops to my group. It doesn't seem like I'm "letting people down" by playing this way. I understand it may be different in content I haven't experienced yet and so was curious what people's methods were.
  20. Dreadmore Augur

I think it's been mentioned already, but I'll just share my experiences :confused:

it's necessary for me as a tank and boxer to play in third-person the way I play. there is no text that can trigger an audio trigger that will tell me that something is attacking me from behind, or depending on the camp, that some add or pop is sneaking up on me from behind. and if you're tanking multiple (which I do ALL THE TIME because who has time for single pulls and debuffing anymore, it's 2019, come on), turning around to take a look is not an option. you could circle around the group of enemies until you're facing the opposite way, but that's dumb :p since I'm boxing, I also glance at all my other characters' views for more situational awareness, and they are in third-person views, but even if they were in first-person, I would say that's technically third-person since they're not my main character's first-person

third-person view gives you a tactical advantage over first-person. I'm sure there are people who make first-person work fine, but third-person literally, empirically, objectively gives you more information about your situation, which can be important in many scenarios. and many people just never run into all those scenarios