Anyone try any unorthodox combos or trios this time?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by spoopy, May 14, 2019.

1. spoopy Journeyman

I thought it would be interesting to share my experience with a team built around a shaman.

I chose a shaman as a main with bard and wizard to support it. It has proved to be very efficient and effective.. shouldnt really come as a surprise since the shaman is already borderline op. The bard pushes my Regen up to 65ish and I usually always finish a fight full health even against rock golems. Can break camps with bard, easy DPS and utility with wizard. Alchemy helps with the lack of clarity.

I thought about a lot of other possibilities using an sk and or a monk/necro. But really wanted to play the shaman as the main and thought it would be realistic to only get one raid geared and wanted afk boxes to focus on the sham.

The wizard has been super useful and decent DPS and I chose it for the Long haul.. ae groups and such but a mage would be more Mana efficient DPS for when I play by myself.

Now that everyone is 50 and have had some time to experiment - did anyone try anything new or just the same tried and true box combos and trios?
  2. Moranis Augur

I tried Necro / Bard - it was decent until my friend joined who played a shaman - then it was pretty baller. Necro mana regen with Lich + Conc Pot + Bard Song is just thru the roof.

I can't say that I was bold enough to try and kill rock golems, but we were able to handle high level camps and fend off some KSers with the OP E-bolts.
    code-zero likes this.
  3. Gana Augur

I did Ranger/Cleric/Mage on Selos. The plan is to heal the pet once the Ranger is able to be ranged DPS...but I am not there yet. =) Very casual (and also leveling a paladin/druid on Mangler and Enchanter and Wizard on Selos for tradeskills and travel)
  4. HoodenShuklak Augur

Do pets ever become tanky like old eq?

One of the big changes as a returning player was how incedibly fragile even the earth pet was. It really changes the class when choosing pets.
  5. Gana Augur

Well, with the opening of PoP (and LoY), I was able to level my research and do the sage research quest and get 10 levels (52-62) on my mage (and 50k plat), so the level 60 pet does fine against level 55-59 mobs so far...especially with a cleric to buff/heal. But 3+ mobs (especially when they break root quickly) have been problematic on my Truebox group. I think when I get my epics for Ranger and Cleric (non-KoS in Chardok), things will get easier (but it looks like I am going to have to level a rogue to unlock the Royals area). Also used the quest to level my enchanter from 22-41 (on much fewer turn-ins). Now to get the Wiz to level 16 and see how few it takes to level him up (requires minumum Research skill of 100). This is one quest that the turn in xp was not nerfed.
  6. spoopy Journeyman

This was definitely my other top choice. Necro+bard+shaman but figured it would be to hard to play the necro and shaman to the best of both their abilities.
  7. spoopy Journeyman

They changed it because they were to over powered with updates to the live game. They don't get their defense back until like planes of power or something. Pet classes would be too strong before pop
  8. Moranis Augur

I'd say you can box the shaman about 75% efficient, depending on how attentive you are to spamming Canni. Personally, I'd make a < /pause, /cast [cannibalize] > x4 macro with a /sit at the end. You can toy with the /pause to get that tick of sitting-mana in between the spell casts.

The way I'd do it is that I would pull with the bard, then flip over to the necro to peel the mob off onto the pet and pop his spell macro, and lastly flip over to the shaman to hit the < /pet attack + /cast slow + /cast e-bolt > macro. If it's a long fight, maybe I pop the bard macro to play some DOTs or even *gasp* melee.

Having 2x E-bolts + Fire dot + 2 pets on a mob that is slowed makes most fights relatively trivial. Even a wimpy skeleton pet can stand up to lvl 45+ mobs without needing a heal typically.
  9. kjempff Elder

Have my usual bst-mag-cle trio, which is pretty unorthodox.
    Unfortunately pet aggro mechanic has changed (including proximity aggro that was removed), so I am no longer able to keep aggro on the bst unless I remove the warders proc...
    Bit of a shame as it used to be a very fun trio.. building something else now, well more like forced to add a 4th as a sk tank which seem to be the only class who can reliably (and with low maintenance) keep aggro of the warder (with its proc on).
  10. Aziuno Augur

Pets scale back to normal in Luclin, and then get super tanky in TSS
  11. Aziuno Augur

Use blind on the Beast, or Cripple / slow.
    Be in melee range when casting blind
  12. Fluid Augur

Ran a level 51 mage on Agnarr PoP recently and got spanked bad. No focus items available, no bazaar items like Fist of Ixiblat et al, light blue unfocused pet at that level. No Mercs, no boxing, not a lot of other players, bazaar is empty. Times are tough there at PoP. I'm not up to killing light blues to level 65 or signing in more then once a month. :) Prices are crazy too, like a Stein of Moggok for ~6500 pp.