Nerf Mearates (Now)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ShadowMan, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotwar Gotcharms

It's fine to have a couple simple tank and spanks (a la the entirety of Corrupted ToV minus what's-his-face at the end), but I would hate it if an entire expansion dropped filled with those.

There are some of us who really enjoy challenging content (read: Anything that doesn't get one-shot by RoI/VH), there are some folks who really enjoy a straightforward puppy-pile tank and spank, and a lot of folks who fit somewhere in between. There's enough events available in each expansion to cater to all three.

I truly do not see the problem in leaving Mearatas in its current post-nerf state. It's the final event in TBL and there's nothing wrong with having a challenging encounter at the end of an expansion. It's a pretty stark contrast to the snooze-fest finales we had in EOK/ROS and I think a lot of people have appreciated the increased difficulty.

It's already been demonstrated that the changes enabled 2 new guilds to complete it (congrats again to Triton and SR) and I'd imagine we'll see even more as other guilds attempting the event refine their strategy and uncover the details of the mechanics (and how to deal with them).

Can't wait to see who beats it next!
    Endaar, Elyssanda, Ssdar and 4 others like this.
  2. smash Augur

There have however not been any raids that is near as punishing as this one, and those need to be turned slightly down.

I will 10 times rather have a buttkicker named, with less test on emotes.
  3. feeltheburn Augur

I beg to differ....PoW pre nerf.....Triunity...yeah that.
  4. Lianeb Augur

While I will agree with you on this there also has to be replay ability to the raids verse just challenge. How many times have the guilds that beaten the raids gone back to do them verse other targets in the same line that are easier for loot.
    Once a challenging is beaten it comes down to risk verse reward. Quite frankly this is not going to a farm raid in this expac as it is. Guilds are going to beat it then it will fall off the target list for easier loot chest. Let’s be honest here, when was the last roi did this raid or even VH, or MS. I know for us it’s the raid we will do in our schedule if we have time. We would rather hit the loot piñatas in the expansion first, as I am sure the rest do.
    Challenge is one thing but once beaten in the challenging state there needs to be incentive to back, if mearatas has a chest with double loot or muhbis on it it might a different sroey but that is not the case
    Cailen likes this.
  5. Cicelee Augur

My biggest complaint is that one person missing one emote could wipe a raid. The punishment is so severe that if you fail once, it could start an avalanche that results in a wipe. There are few raids in EQ history that are similar to severe punishment like this, and those raids have been very polarizing- you either seriously love it, or hate it.

It seems like 25 to zero should get another tune for June patch IMHO. That gives enough time for other guilds to join Triton and SR, and if not then it becomes more winnable in the summer.
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  6. gotwar Gotcharms

To be honest, for us this is more a result of the GMM release than the difficulty of Mearatas.

We like to get everything done in one evening on both servers, and having GMM + TBL makes that pretty difficult even for us. Both RoI and VH try to keep an ~11pm cutoff time, meaning we're (trying) to cram 11 events into a ~3.5 hr window.

If GMM wasn't a thing this year it's unlikely we'd be skipping Mearatas regularly. And to be clear yes, we are skipping it, because as you stated there isn'treally a ton of incentive to go there over other TBL events.

Edit: I realize not every guild tries to do the one-night-cramfest and that this is probably the exception rather than the rule. I do agree with you that there should be more incentive to go down Mearatas each week.
  7. Snowman Augur

My only concern is that 19 guild have beaten T2 but only 5 now have T3 completed with the nerf now ... so 14 guild are still trying to beat this ... hard raids are good but when they might start to promote people to stop logging in from another night of wiping -- losing more people in EQ is not going to help this 20 year old game
    Mintalie likes this.
  8. Axxius Augur

Did you just say... ;)
    Thunderkiks and Bahdah like this.
  9. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Triton has cleared it every week since we first beat it. Yeah it's still a tough event but it's a quicker fight than a lot of other TBL raids. I would rather do Mearatas than some of the longer fights like PoF or Aalishai myself.

Adding bonus loot to Mearatas isn't a bad idea though, it's been done before. Two Gods in Solteris had 2 chests and I'm sure there's other events that I'm forgetting that had more drops than the others. RoS had the new mount and TBM had the Eye Augs both from the final encounters, a unique reward from Mearatas would be cool. Hell it doesn't even have to add power I'd be happy with an illusion item.
    Genoane, Allayna, Axxius and 2 others like this.
  10. Mezacor New Member

Illusion? Nah.

Mephit swarm pet clicky!!!!
    Maedhros, Cailen, Elyssanda and 7 others like this.
  11. Spellfire Augur

yes please :D
  12. Allayna Augur

Passive AA that mass spawns mephits on yo death!
    Thunderkiks and Axxius like this.
  13. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I hope you get caught in an endless lag death loop next to UFF...

...we NEVER need more swarm pets.
    smash likes this.
  14. smash Augur

Remove all swarm pets.
  15. Endaar Augur

Simple fix that would require minimal work...why not add some older, desirable items that are still somewhat difficult or tedious to get to the drop table? Twincast clicky, cure shield, augs from the 17th anniversary raid, etc. Give everyone a good reason to keep going back.
  16. Brohg Augur

...Because those treasures already exist as reasons to do those events
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  17. smash Augur

There already items in earlier expansions, you wanna remove the reason for people to do those expansions ?
  18. Maedhros High King

The biggest issue is that the death mephits are just as hard as the regular mephits.
    It just takes one knucklehead dying to start a cascade of death mephits and then that's a wrap.
    I think the next nerf should focus on tuning down the dmg output of all the mephits by about 25%.
    Death mephits could take 1 fewer bane shots to kill.
    I think adjusting that, without changing any other parts of the encounter, could make this raid just a tad easier and we'd see another 3 or 4 guilds beat it.
  19. Endaar Augur

RoV has yet to beat this event, and I'm on record on these boards being against the original nerf, let alone a subsequent one.

That said, there's some validity to the argument that even once guilds beat it, it probably won't be an "on farm" event like many others. The risk/reward is too out of balance. So one of three things happens:
    • No further changes are made, in which case a limited number of guilds beat it and revisit it only occasionally.
    • The event is nerfed (possibly a few more times) to the point where it no longer stands out as any sort of accomplishment, and T3 capable guilds farm it as they would any other TBL raid.
    • Increase the reward.
    Of those three options, I think increasing the reward is the best one, since it leaves UEE as a significant accomplishment while providing incentive for guilds to revisit it. Ideally we'd get some unique items, but I gather getting new items made is unlikely. So that leaves either adding another chest (which is certainly a valid option), or looking to items elsewhere in the game that are still valued but not all that accessible.

I see the argument against obsoleting older content, but given the difficulty of UEE I'm not sure adding it as an additional source for a few difficult to obtain items has much of an impact.
    bbanz likes this.
  20. bbanz Elder

I do miss getting titles on server-first wins. An UEE win should have some unique loot (e.g. clicky, mount, extra TS item even, etc).
    Axxius and Scornfire like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.