Merging Live server

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sentinal, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Whulfgar Augur

Con.

They lack the team and the resources to accomplish server merges at this time.
  2. Whulfgar Augur

Con.
    Trying to do a server merge right now with the team and resources available would inevitably lead to no new expansion this year.

I much rather have new content.. over some one not willing to buy a server transfer token to enable themselves a larger pool of players from which to not be picked to grp with.
  3. Syylke_EMarr Augur

You can stop with the overly aggressive attacks that contribute nothing to the discussion anytime, friend.
    ------------
    There is a definite need for something on some servers. Maybe mergers aren't the answer. Free transfers from those servers probably aren't either, since that would just make the issue worse by further reducing the population.
  4. snailish Augur

Reading the posts at the time, it really seemed that one person was in charge of the Vulak to Fippy merge.

Maybe when it went sidewise they needed extra help? I don't recall that being said.

IIRC, they also said they identified why that merge was problematic. That doesn't mean they fixed the issue...

...but it does not lead me to believe they couldn't merge another server, or do a round of these, if they wanted to.

Nor do I believe that every single content dev would be used to do this, thus preventing a new expac as you are claiming in other posts. Now if a dev posts "we can do this or do a new expac" then I will have learned something.
  5. snailish Augur

^fair points.

If you were a person that played on Vulak, or one of the other really low population servers you might have enjoyed that for a stretch of time. Forced merge stops that.

Free transfers of others can help it... to a point. Then you are on a ghost town. Sure, a handful might still enjoy that but the other side is Daybreak has to have a viability number for bothering to keep a server running? One would think at least.

So I think that is what you risk if you go the "free transfers from low population servers x,y,z to higher population a or b".

Probably a risk worth taking, if the example x, y, z are actually "at risk" enough that this may help retain players by letting them move. Paid transfers work if you are doing 1 or 2 characters. Gets silly fast if you have multiple accounts of full characters that are not that great but you want to keep playing them.
  6. Whulfgar Augur

That is not overly aggressive in the least.. friend.
  7. Whulfgar Augur

I dont care about what you think. This has been stated dozen's of times on New Expansion launch podcasts.. by every single Dev that ever gets interviewed an reads questions from us the player base when they do those podcasts.

So its not "my opinion" saying that.. Its the actual makers of the game Dev's .. who have stated this multiple times.. And anyone who has ever watched Eok - TBL launch podcasts .. will tell you I am speaking the truth because each of those 3 expansions some knuckle head inevitably asks that very question.
  8. Whulfgar Augur

Lets look at the facts and why it does not add up to me.

The claim of low population. How to fix : Transfurring off server .. reasons not to because of friends..

Now I'm just saying if the population is that low you can't get a grp together of real people / friends .. I'm calling bs on the whole .. "I can't leave cause of friends" reason.. that just blows that whole arguement outta the water right there.

The claim does not fit the excuse in that..
    code-zero likes this.
  9. code-zero Augur

Ah yeah, that whole friends thing bugged me but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Let's say you have 2 friends. So can't you and your friends and your mercenaries group up to do stuff?

And if so, why were you worried about more people. I really doubt that there's no guilds recruiting or no one but you and your two friends sitting in PoK

If there's enough players to catch /afk mgb buffs at wherever your servers lagpile might be then there's enough players on that server
    Whulfgar likes this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Servers merged in 2005
    Servers merged in 2010

It takes 3 to make a serial game killer

Just go play on one of the new servers. That is what was intended on them - fast exp, groups, etc but people will still complain.

There have been over 450 players logged into our server quite often lately - if you can't find a group out of 450 - its not gonna happen with a merge. Ok take away 100 for folks afk in the baz but then add back in the people who close general chat.

The only merge I want to see is on Survivor (yes I still watch that)
  11. Bigstomp Augur

Hard to argue with this. We don't need mergers. OP needs to talk to people and build their social network.

The servers are doing ok when I randomly end up in a pick zone I was not expecting to be in.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  12. jeskola pheerie

This. A couple Lockjaw guilds decided to pay to move since merge requests were met with silence, so now there is a prescedent set.. pay to merge/transfer or go down with your server's sinking ship.
    snailish likes this.
  13. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

SPED thread spotted....
  14. snailish Augur

I don't believe for a second that the entire dev team would be stopped developing an expac to run server merges. Devs have specific job descriptions --why would you need the AA or spell dev to run a merge?

Look, I'm not saying the OP's stated reasons (or the reasons many) ask for merges add or up make sense.

If you can't find anyone to play with during your peak playtime on a live server, you login to all the other ones until you find one with activity during your peak play time. Then you roll there for real or transfer there. This still applies if you are a small group. If you are a small guild... err why not enjoy your private server (if it is a low pop as some claim)?

At the end of the day, Daybreak some time ago (and SOE before that) looked at the positives (from their end) of the last big merges and must have determined it wasn't worth it, or at least hasn't been worth doing again.

The Vulak/Fippy "trial" of a modern merge should make one think. But the fact that it didn't go smooth should not give you hope if you are a waiting-on-merger person.

What people like the OP should be asking for is a short-term "free transfer window" to allow them to mass move a whole set of characters. If I am Daybreak I would do this with no promise of doing it again, because anecdotally it seems to me that once someone starts transferring characters they don't stop. Hook them with the free move window, then sell them future moves.
  15. Shanarias Augur

I made a new Monk Iksar on Drinal today. There were over 10 players in the Tutorial, and it was just crazy. It was FAR from dead there.
    CatsPaws and Whulfgar like this.
  16. Smokezz The Bane Crew

General chat is most definitely not the thing to go by... Going by the people in my guild, I'd say 75% of them don't join general. That held true on Tunare in my previous guild as well. So that number is quite a bit higher.
  17. Bigstomp Augur

Agreed. General is mostly a cesspool I only join if I'm itching for that type of content.

Edit: Sometimes I make bad life choices
    snailish likes this.
  18. smash Augur

They said repeatedly that there will not come any server merges, so I wonder why people keeps bringing it up!!!!!

Now for people say: Move me to a server with people so I can group, now I am going to be direct, IMO, on any server there enough people for you to get a group, UNLESS you ruined your reputation and are bad in playing.

I know some who cannot get groups true, however just for test, I tried to group with 2 of them, just to find out why they cannot get groups.

Person 1, was afk 25 min out of 1 hour, which was my patience limit, which I told person, that if he/she dont stop being afk, you cannot get group.

Person 2, was a rogue, that was rather sucky in dps, and did something like 50% of the dps of the weakest group member, even being lvl 110 and the weakest a level 105.

With both people I told them directly, that I understand why they cannot get groups, because they rather bad(stinked). And got a rude answer back.

So some people deserves not being able to get groups, if they dont wanna put the effort into their play.
    code-zero likes this.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Are there any posts where they said this? I keep hearing folks say they mentioned it in streams but I don't recall them every saying there will never be server mergers. I recall them mentioning a few times they would never do epics again but that's about it.

Not saying you are wrong btw just don't recall hearing that at all.
  20. smash Augur

Just go into 1 of the posts about server merges, where you see a dev has responded.