Ranger head shot has ruined the class

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Frisko, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

There’s give and take. Live has suffered plenty of TLP poison. The dots you are able to cast are what? 4x the damage of what rangers had available to them then? Not all changes to Live hurt TLP. Headshot was not around when we created Rangers back when early TLP content was new. The draw of the class was the utility Rangers have. The utility will just get better before and around level 85 comes around as you gain spells like beneficial dispel, vinelash and bluster.

I survived a double xp penalty for being a Woodelf AND a Ranger. I assure you, there are plenty of people that will group with you and help you level. Those TLP servers have lots of players on them.
    Belexes likes this.
  2. Fluid Augur

Just another common sense is pretty uncommon. Pretty much since day one Rangers could root, DOT, and stand back poking MOBs with arrows and not take any damage. Next to nobody did it then. Everyone would snare and MOB and run backwards while shooting. I found that technique terrible so I seldom used it. Recently I started a Ranger on a TLP server and when a conversation in general chat started about how weak Rangers are and Rangers with bows explicitly, I begged to differ. Needless to say, I was literally shouted down by other players who obviously had never tried it. I mean you can actually have a naked Ranger solo killing yellow and red cons with no down time for hit point regeneration, just mana. It is a little slow, but the thing is it can be done. It is a really nice feature at lower levels. It is not DB's problem that people use conventional wisdom: Rangers are only good for tracking.

Now something I've noticed and will have to double check, we seem to have gotten the 'Finishing Blow' working with a bow and on a Rooted MOB. It could be I am just having a senior moment because I don't remember this being the case before. I seem to recall Finishing Blow only worked with melee on a fleeing MOB. So IOW, Rangers got made just like everyone else except they get Finishing Blow applied when using a ranged weapon. Tough call and I could be confused because of leveling and AA levels. If you don't like the Head Shot change, add Finishing Blow AAs. You don't get the crazy 32k damage on your first shot kind of damage but you do have it go off when a MOB gets under 20% health.
  3. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Nah dots changes don't do anything positive other then save Rangers 1 spell slot in the first 10 expansions.

The one big draw to main a ranger on TLP was Headshot. Without it you're just better off going SK if you wanna solo hard content or Zerk/Monk if you wanna be a raid DPS class.
  4. Funk Augur

A mob can be rooted and snared and still want to run away, it just can't. So finishing blow applies then.