Test Update 04/09/2019 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Natal Augur

Slowing classes are generally in groups for other reasons, not slowing. Since slowing is a basic element in the game to the point where balance is designed round it being present, it is not unreasonable to have lesser versions of these spells distributed to other classes in some form or another. Slowing classes still get better versions of the spell. The only time having this belt proc is useful is when there are a ton of adds in the group, but under those circumstances slowing classes are better utilized for things like CC/dps/healing anyway, not slowing. The belt procs help avoid a wipe that might otherwise happen.
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  2. menown Augur

That's funny. Because the last time my necro used slow was when I duoed with a mage. I cannot even reliably get a slow cast without a malo. I have to pass 1 fire and 2 magic resist checks, with a refresh on a spell that is 18 secs long. And yes, slow makes a difference in pet survivability.

My 45% slow gets overwritten by any melee class with a 50% slow belt proc. My slow is considered utility, but I guess melee with this belt proc call it a basic element to the game to the point where balance is designed around it being present.
    Barton, Spellfire and Sancus like this.
  3. ShadowMan Augur

So some classes have had it and now don't. Or are unable to utilize it because their versions require spells slots, have recast timers and require action by the player. That have been rendered unusable due to the recast times and resist rates. Compared to chain proc'ing it every 2-5 seconds until it lands while doing nothing at all.

The belts absolutely make it so things that couldn't be done without them now can or things are done much more easily. Its a noticeable difference no many how many people claim otherwise.

Content that couldn't easily be tanked by melee can. Content that some pets are ineffective against suddenly becomes feasible. Content can be just manhandled by 2h'er tanks. The procs individually make a difference as to what a merc can heal through never mind if you proc both.
  4. gotwar Gotcharms

AE Enchanter Somnolence says "Hi!"
    Allayna likes this.
  5. Brohg Augur

Please correct my understanding if it isn't correct, but that 50% slow proc isn't going away. Nor is the -115str version of Cripple proc. They're only being nerfed in their combined form that "just s'happens" to be on the highest tier belt (group and raid)

I remain strongly opposed to "gotcha"s being part of EQ itemization. Those who work at an upgrade for their character shouldn't be rewarded with a sneaky nerf. At the very least, Crippling Slicer on the belt itself and the Crippling Snare proc need to be renamed. They don't do Slicing or Snaring (those words are otherwise consistent in describing movement speed reduction in EQ), and they need the word "Lesser" added in somewhere on both.

Crippling Guard wasn't nerfed, Tendon Slicer wasn't nerfed -- making it super clear that the effects weren't the problem here.
    Olyander, Koryu and Allayna like this.
  6. Sancus Augur

Is that what you got from Ngreth's post? Cause I totally took it as "we would like to nerf the old ones, but are opting not to retroactively change foci that have existed for years."

Not defending the logic, but I'm not sure how you came out of this with it being "super clear that the effects weren't the problem."
  7. Brohg Augur

A decade of precedent didn't stop Dzarn from gutting the everliving smurf out of Scent of Terris, or preserve Elemental Union AA for magicians, or Warlord's Grasp for warriors, or meleedraining ripostes for (anyone, but mostly for~) SKs. Citing precedent arbitrarily voids its utility as an explanatory force
    Barton and Warpeace like this.
  8. Sancus Augur

Precedent has been applied differently by different devs in different areas of the game; there are instances where old items haven't been adjusted despite not conforming to standards set by current items.

As such, I maintain my objection to the idea that it's super clear that the old effects weren't considered an issue.
  9. Ecchicon Elder

What class has slow and cripple but has never received upgrades to utility, DPS, or pets?
  10. ShadowMan Augur

I'll still take individual slow and cripple belts being sympathetic at a rate high enough to proc every 2-4 seconds until finally landing. Fair is fair.

Lets not forget our slow was nerfed from 70% to 40% as well because having the ability to cast it once every 18s on a single target at that time was deemed to powerful.
  11. ShadowMan Augur

I didn't say received any. I said many requests in those areas were NO because you have that.
  12. Monkman Augur

How about pre-nerf / post nerf versions? Would be great 20th anniversary nostalgia! Remember pre-nerf guise/fungi stick/circlet of shadows.

This belt change reminds me of back in EOK when the dd on the hornscale blades was reduced on all versions.

Basically it comes down to okay we messed up, you got lucky and got one before we changed it. Grats.
  13. Lianeb Augur

I hope casters enjoy the upcoming competition for GMM belts.

I know most of our Knights have already stated their intention to go after the Caster belts with this nerf, i am sure others are feeling the same, since the new effect will be effectively worthless compared to the benefits of healing and nuking to a knight, verses the crap slow and cripple
    Xeladom and Allayna like this.
  14. menown Augur

I guess I don't know too much about SK lineups, but I do know that lifetaps will not proc the group heal. Yea, it would be a great belt for probably paladins, rangers and beasts. But then again, ranger and bsts will still probably prefer the overdrive boon/punch belt with their force proc discs.
    Sancus likes this.
  15. kizant Augur

You may want to tell your guild mates to grow up. Not that wizards have any fight in this one but the childishness is funny. lol
  16. Lianeb Augur

When the belts are all equal in all but a Proc, how is a tank that heals and nukes wanting a caster healer belt childish?
    The nerf going in is pretty ridiculous, it may as well not even debuff the mob for the amount it's going to be doing for current content mobs.
  17. kizant Augur

Because they're crying over something that doesn't matter and the alternative belt isn't doing them much good either.
  18. Brohg Augur

They cast as many spells as you do, or nearly so. More than dru/enc, probably, based on advantaged cast times. The belt's +5k doesn't care about base damage.
    Allayna likes this.
  19. kizant Augur

My point isn't that they get less use out of it than casters. It's that the belt doesn't add all that much in the first place. Even if you're doing 40 casts a minute you're barely getting over 3k DPS from it. And for a class that's not even competing for DPS, who cares?

Unless you're a necro with a ton of dots where each cast is getting 7500 or whatever it is from the belt then I don't see why it's worth making a big deal about. If you're solo you're still better off with slow and cripple. And no, I don't use the thing during my burns and I rarely remember to switch to a threads of potential belt ever. It's too much trouble. The last thing I want to do is forget to switch back for a burn parse that I actually care about.
  20. Braikkarrii Lorekeeper

Rank 32 of the SHM AA "Malaise" is not casting anything. Per AA description, it is supposed to cast the highest level of Malosenete and the highest level of Fetid Decay that the player has scribed.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Purchase rank 32 of the AA "Malaise" on a level 106+ SHM character. The character should have Malosenete and Fetid Decay scribed.
    2. Attempt to cast the AA on any npc.
    3. Observe. Nothing is casted on the npc.

Do the component spells need to be the same rank or can they be different? It does not seem like it should matter.