GMM risk vs reward out of whack? mobs need tuning up

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gingadin, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Aurastrider Augur

What? If you honestly believe this I have ocean front property in Arizona I would love to sell you.

The people that need this gear still have a reason to log in and play because they are behind. There are still accomplishments they still have to do and this gear might give them enough power to do so. It benefits players that are more casual and don't have the massive amount of time that comes from questing, leveling and gearing to stay current. There is still plenty for these players to do this just cuts down on some of the time it takes for gear. Considering its only non visible gear these players still need to get all of their visible gear which gives them something to work towards.

If GMM had been released at the same time as TBL with this gear you might have a valid point. The players who benefit from this gear have had over 4 months to get gear equal to or better than this gear and have not been able to yet. Power gains and a sense of feeling like someone is moving forwards not staying stagnant or falling behind with each new expansion release is what keeps players coming back. Its no different than players stuck at lower or mid levels who cant progress. They feel stuck and quit. Raid forces that cant get past a certain point start to have less and less member log in when there is no progression and they fall apart. Throwing players a bone here and there gets them to log back in not quit. Nobody ever showed up for work, got a bonus from their boss and said "what the heck man I wanted to work harder for that money so I quit".

I think it all boils down to the fact that you got to TBL end game and got your gear. You also got your achievements and other nice things along the way. You see others who are able to obtain some gear on par with this gear that you feel you worked harder for and you are upset. You will spin what ever nice bedtime story you can come up with because you feel like your own accomplishments have been degraded seeing people get this gear easier than you did. You still have your gear, your achievements, your experience and your fun from experiencing that content. Nobody is taking those things away from you and they shouldn't. They are yours to keep so stop trying to take away something that has been given to others just because you are salty.
    Spellfire, Xeladom, Andarriel and 2 others like this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

To be honest I think this will have the opposite effect., just look at Gribbles. I think GMM is what has been lacking at level 110.

Exp is good and easy to gain so those who are lacking AA now have somewhere decent to get exp at level 110. I've recently leveled a beastlord and shaman to level 110 and looking at over 20K AA is very off putting, seeing that starting to go down is encouraging. I am enjoying doing the HAs and it looks like for the first time in the last couple of years I will be max AA on my main.

Those who have been stuck trying to progress through TBL, now have a chance to get it done. Visables are only available from TBL.

So even when players have what they want/need from GMM there is still things they need to do to keep them interested.

GMM is the most fun I have had in long time.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Happy to see no changes in the test patch. :)
    Andarriel likes this.
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

Gotta dissagree strongly. Im a classic case. I used to play 4-7 hours a day EVERY DAY. That play time has been cut drastically to about 4 hours a week. Where I used to top group gear myself and about 12 alts over a years time, I find myself lacking even a few toons maxxed. I am talking group gear only not raider stuff.
    TBL came out and for my play time i was resigned to Stratos for an entire year. I knew I could not get them damn trials done to move on. Basically the expansion was dead to me. GMM gave me something more to do and kept me interested. Aside from that all I have seen it do is give frowny faces to a bunch of crabby with a superiority complex.
  5. Moege Augur

Doesn't mean anything, wait for the live patch to happen.

Many times a nerf is not applied to test before live, probably to prevent people from realizing and trying to get ahead of the nerf.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I agree with your previous post that all parties care. Now I am not sure what part of the game is your pri mary focus. I run a large casual guild.

Firstly, can tell you it takes my average player longer then 1 or 2 weeks to get their non vis gear from GMM. They don't all box and have instant groups every day so it takes longer then you suggest.

Secondly, They still have to go and get their vis drops and also some items in GMM are not as good as TBL (at least for tanks) so they have to get those also. Trust me that they will be occupied for more then a week or two.

Thirdly most casual players then go back and work on older content. A lot are playing catch up on Savior bonuses etc.

Foruthly, I don't think the game should be tuned around players who are hard chargers and like to finish content, get AA, etc ASAP. A lot of players take a more "casual" approach to it so they don't run out of content.

And lastly the whole idea ends up being foolish. The hard chargers are going to get group content done in next to no time no matter what you do. They go do the challenging stuff a couple times then concentrate on the low hanging fruit. DBG will never keep the hard chargers occupied with getting gear or progression for any significant time each expansion. Heck as soon as casual players complain progression is too hard they come out of the wood work explaining on how they got it all done in next to no time. We need content like GMM because everyone doesn't play hard core. I have played both sides of that and even when I was finishing all my progression and gearing up in the first month of an expansion I still got the fact that everyone is not in that boat.
    Xeladom, Andarriel, Stephen51 and 2 others like this.
  7. Aurastrider Augur

This pretty much describes me also. I went from having 30+ hours a week playing this game to less than 10 hours a week and some weeks zero hours due to working two jobs, kids over the last 4 years, and other RL things that keep me from playing as much as I would like to. TBL was the first expansion in as long as I could remember that I didn't preorder on my main account after reading about the roadblocks and realizing I would not be able to zone in and grab some gear rots at some point to get a nice little power bump to help me progress through the content I am currently working on.

After hearing about GMM I pulled the trigger and bought TBL on my main account with hopes that the added stats from more AA's (was maxed through ROS with maxed bank and full quest rewards before TBL launched) and a couple weeks of farming some upgrades in GMM would speed up the process of getting me caught up on older content so I can at least be somewhat relevant by end game standards. Giving players like us good gear does not run us off it literally keeps us playing because it helps us get caught up faster and not feel so overwhelmed. If I reach a point of feeling that I am way to far behind to even matter in terms of power I might just throw in the towel and turn out the lights on this game. Its something I have contemplated several times over recent years and its due to people advocating that casuals be stuck in some bottomless pit with no hope of climbing their way out. GMM literally provides a sense of encouragement that there is something in a new zone that I might have a fighting chance at playing and not having to worry about getting one rounded by some yard trash.
  8. Qbert Gallifreyan

The tank ear/ring/shoulder are presumably all tied to the busted named in mission #2 that will theoretically start dropping loot after the next patch. Either that or mission #3's chest (or both).
    Yendar likes this.
  9. Natal Augur

You are completely missing the point, like most people here. At no point did I say that TBL was ok, I have gone of record multiple times saying that TBL is too hard. So just stop. Other than the "I walked uphill backwards for 10 miles in the snow to go to school and it was just fine, so, so should you" folk, no one is claiming that the flagging missions in tier 1 are ok, they clearly far too difficult for their position in the overall TBL content.

The fact that TBL proper was poorly designed from a risk v reward perspective does not mean that equally poorly designed content in the other direction should be released to counterbalance that. What the devs SHOULD have done is reduce the difficulty level of the tier 1 zones and their associated missions to match the risk v reward.

Making GMM easy is fine. If you want to grind xp in such content, go for it. All I am saying is that you should not be getting some of the best rewards in the group game for that easy content. It should be tier 1 gear that is dropping in that zone, not tier 2.

Two wrongs do not make a right. Both are still wrong.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Except that it is a 20th Anniversary celebration. 20 years. The gear was going to be better then just run of the mill content you get with any expansion. I think that is the point you are missing.
    Gyurika Godofwar, raylone and Yinla like this.
  11. Vinjiansai New Member

I tried boxing 3-toons @ 105 with mercs and the multiple pulls stopped me in my tracks at step 2. I could try again and box a chanter, but the sheer HPs on trash mobs does not make for fun. I was lured by the excellent loot, even though I wouldn't be able to use it for awhile, and figured to at least give it a shot. I know it's not really meant for 105's (even though the mission scales down) and won't be back for a long time, if ever.
  12. NeverPayForLag Augur

is 20th anniversary and GMM zone only available for the anniversary time or will GMM zone be active after it too? any clues?
  13. Barton The Mischievous

14. Kolani Augur

More anecdotal GMM experiences. I did The Darkness Howls in a rando LFG group on my shaman. Let me assure you, it's not as easy as some of the population thinks it is. Normally I plow through it on my raid geared 110 shadowknight with my 106 druid on autofollow keeping Reptile up on me to make it look like she's doing something. I'll usually do each step in a single pull. It took almost two hours, several wipes with the totemed shaman as the sole survivor and the tank somehow aggroing every gnomelike chanter in zone. I still ended up bringing Inalok in and swarming the last update when the tank had to leave.
  15. Moege Augur

So the tank sucked and thus the zone is hard ...
    You have some very faulty logic there when you think bad gameplay should still make encounters easy.
    /facepalm
  16. Kolani Augur

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the things that may be easy with Ascending Sun weapons and Veiled may not be as easy with group weapons and Battleworn. I stomp through it solo on my shadowknight. People not as well geared may not have that luxury.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  17. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

dont touch mah loot pinata
  18. Allayna Augur

19. Cailen Augur

20. juddor Elder

I returned 2 months ago.

I was tbs raid geared (super good)

If not for gmm, I wouldn't be able to do Ros or current content. Conflagrent helped alot, but not really.

It took 2.5 hours to run gmm with 4 box group run at Max efficiency. This is at lvl 110. Eventually I got it down to about 40 mins after a month or so of gearing up in gmm ( that's daily, I would say 40 runs).

This is needed, I still maybe 50/50 on t1 named. I'm getting better as I get visables... But the difficulty curve on current content is way to high.

I would leave difficulty same, lower exp maybe, but leave Evol exp for Chase the same.

Returning players (esp tank) need a alot of help with loot. Current content ae is cray cray
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.