The wow classic "no changes" crowd sure could learn alot from us.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastorm86, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Pharone Elder

I'd give anything if companies would take their successful games (15 to 20 years in the MMORPG industry is more than qualified as "successful") and simply make NEW games using the same engine.

It worked. People liked it enough to play for one to two decades. Why hell not take advantage of that existing game engine, and make a new game.

Would it really be so bad to see another EverQuest made by DBG called "whateverQuest"? Why do we have to look to other developers to create something new? And, no. Don't make things different just for the sake of being "different" ... aka EverQuest 2 that didn't get really good until after they through out the "make it different from original EverQuest" design motto, and got back to making a game that people actually want to play.

It just boggles my mind that a company with an IP that is 20 years old and still kicking is willing to just let it ride on out till nobody cares anymore.
    Paincake likes this.
  2. Undustas Lorekeeper

Words from a man who has clearly never played WOW.

I agree the leveling in the game can be pretty single player...

Raiding is what makes WOW fun and that is by no means single player..or even "easy".

Mythic raiding is 2500x harder than any EQ raid.

In order to get cutting edge you have to kill the current raid tier on mythic before the next raid tier is released and on average 1.5% of the population get that achievement. You heard me right, 1.5%.

In comparison EQ raiding is a joke...any window licker could complete current tier.
    getlostgreg likes this.
  3. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I used to sell SOW on the EK bridge...not proud of it..but it was plat 20 years ago. What do you do if all you have is a 20 ish druid???
    jeskola likes this.
  4. Derd Augur

Right now less than 200 players have completed current eq raid content, way less than 1.5 percent of the live population. Window lickers unite !!
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Ceffener Augur

You know better than most that everything done will be “wrong” no matter who you try to make happy.
  6. snailish Augur

I prefer EQ in nearly all respects. The thing I like(d) about WoW I wouldn't want EQ to even try to do...

WoW... my favourite thing was battlegrounds at level 19 and 29 when I maxed out my rank (sergeant I think... has been years) with my highest level character (didn't have a 60 feeding it gear, or friends taking my low 20s to dungeons to gear it).

Once you got that rank, you had a target on your head. Helped that I played a priest and healed...
    Then they opened up cross server battlegrounds and the level cap went up and the intense PVP battleground community that had enjoyed months of grudge matches with well-known guilds at 19 & 29 went back to their mains and never saw each other again, and the pvp guilds became dormant in the lower brackets.

I had destroyed so many of those pvp reward tokens because they capped how many you could have (iirc)? --I likely could have leveled 29-60 if they had just let you stockpile them.

So basically, the thing this thread is upset about (I get it is likely a mess at 60) was a key aspect to the most fun I ever had in that game.
  7. Undustas Lorekeeper

Somehow I feel your numbers are a huge reach.

I'm sure EQ raiding reaches the level of current mythic wow raiding.

I'm sure the current EQ tier is just as hard if not harder than Mythic Jaina
  8. Saroc_Luclin Augur

15 years is a LONG time in the game industry. A game engine that has both been used for that long and continually updated over that period is going to have a LOT of hacks and duct tape and other idiosyncrasies that I'd hate to have to develop a new game for. The original game would have grown organically over that period and have grown with all the warts and beauty marks its engine has come with.

A new game on the same engine would take a lot of work to have even a fraction of what the existing game has, and would probably not be able to take advantage of a portion of the hooks the original game has due to lack of knowledge; unless the devs have worked on the old engine continuously or at least for a long time, they probably would have trouble using it most effectively. The best people to work on a new game with this engine would be the ones working on the existing game, which would basically kill the existing game.
  9. Paincake Elder

This.

I love EQ, I love the old style. I love the old graphics and gameplay. But man, if I could own the EQ IP and fund development of a new game, it would be the same brutal, slow combat progression, but with newer updated features, graphics, animations, and sound. I know, that's what Pantheon is supposed to be. But I mean, Daybreak has the IP......why not use it?

I'd even be excited for a remaster of Champions of Norrath! rofl
    Pharone and Faydark like this.
  10. Grailer Augur

Actually , it’s free .

The devs also ban people for boxing if caught . Thats probably the main reason why it’s popular.
  11. Ceffener Augur

EQII, EQNext.

Semi popular IP doesn’t guarantee success in a dying market.
  12. Ishbu Augur

Please. Its popular because it's as close to how things were when people fell in love with the game.

Many voluntarily choose to donate, so it's definitely not because it's free. Hell my original server is still there and free to play
  13. Pharone Elder

EQ2 was a failure initially because they tried to make "something different" for the sake of making something that didn't compete with EverQuest.

What I am talking about is making another EverQuest in a different universe so to speak. Same game mechanics, gameplay, etc... just in a new universe (and please for all that is sacred, don't go SciFi >.< Keep it high fantasy like EverQuest).
  14. TheChosenOne Augur

You're advertising a competing game in an EQ TLP forum, and have the nerve to call me a troll?
  15. TheChosenOne Augur

So go have that discussion on Reddit, or some other forum.. you dont come and talk about it on Daybreakgames forums, a COMPETING product.
  16. getlostgreg Lorekeeper

With the amount of whining EQ players do about WoW I doubt this new Blizzard experiment is going to be much of a threat to TLP.

OP brought up an interesting thought which I share. WoW Classic is probably going to take several years to get it right. And I hope they will eventually get on board with progression.

It's interesting and relevant to some of our interests. And guess what? I'll play both.

Daybreak has their own people who control what threads are allowed here. So go cry somewhere else.
  17. Chaosflux Augur

A dev responded on Page 1, if your claim had legitimacy, it would have been locked by now.

It's a public forum, you know for communicating.

And for the OP: yeh I think based on the WOW classic Beta they are going to miss the mark.

Their private server crowd is used to 1 way, which isnt alway classic much like our P99 crowd, their retail/live crowd forgot how to play in a game of that nature, and the rose colored glasses crowd forgot how horrid some parts of the game were.

It's going to be an absolute shitshow the first time much like Combine was (in alot of peoples opinion, I had fun)
  18. Undustas Lorekeeper

Several years to get it right?? They are just going to a point in wow classic that was stable..That's the point no one who wants classic wants it to change beyond that..it would already be right.

Much of a threat? I'm.on Selos atm...I would put my paycheck up that 20% of the server leaves for classic.

I'm in in a pretty big guild and I know of a lot of people just in my guild waiting for it.

EQ can handle a new tlp on 1 server..wow classic is going to be bringing in 3 million+ players..and you think none of them are from EQ???

DBG needed some very solid servers to steer away from classic wow and even then not sure the best of the best TLP server would steer people away..you think Sells and Mangler are keeping people over classic wow??

Classic WOW is going to be massive.
  19. yerm Augur

These are hardly direct competitors at this point. Both communities are far and away established. People can and do play both games. Also, AS I ALREADY SAID, it's perfectly normal to discuss similar games on an official game forum and I cited an example.

Get over your childish WOW hate.
    getlostgreg likes this.
  20. Machentoo Augur

Spoken like someone who never raided Underfoot in era.
    code-zero likes this.