How Loot Works (need vs greed)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kalipto, Mar 20, 2019.

1. vylo Augur

Yeah, not going to lie, I got tired of this on one Agnarr and just left everything need forever. For every NBG group there were 10 need groups and I got tired of missing out on stuff and the work of changing the system.
    Faydark likes this.
  2. Ceffener Augur

It’s simple, really it is.

1. Mark everything as need.
    2. ML established loot system as Need before Greed for LOOT. (You know the rare items you get every hour or so...not the 100 other things that drop).
    3. ML checks rolls, if people needed on something they can’t use, flip it to greed.

Someone doesn’t like that, they quit the group, problem solved.

ML just has to do the job of ML.
    Faydark likes this.
  3. Vanrau Augur

I've lost count on the amount of times someone said they needed something in group, got it and then sold it in the tunnel or bazaar. There are way too many dishonest people to use greed. Need on pugs.
    Thalliius and Faydark like this.
  4. vylo Augur

One of the more impressive ones I saw was a monk do this with FBSS. He won, immediately killed himself pulling the next pack. Next FBSS drops and he wins it. He suicided. so he could bank the first one. before taking the rez.
  5. Machentoo Augur

Wow, lol. I hope you didn't rez him after the 2nd win.
  6. Arclyte Augur

good luck getting a healer for your Frenzy camp with your idiotic loot rules
    Thalliius, Renshu and Machentoo like this.
  7. Ceffener Augur

Even when I do all need...I still don’t let people win the same item twice with the same group....goes on rotation for everyone else to win one.
    Faydark likes this.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? You can't trust that the monk who "needs" that FBSS doesn't already have one or isn't going to sell the one he wins rather than wear it. NBG is flawed in PUGs because you don't know the motivations of the group members.
  9. AgentofChange Augur

Also just a side note, but this thread is why a lot of people box. Just cut out the loot issues entirely.
    Thalliius, Faydark and Renshu like this.
  10. Bewts Augur

I’m at a camp where nothing I can equip drops. But you need a healer. Courtesy dictates that if you can equip it and it’s an upgrade, your need should be accommodated. However, there’s nothing at that camp for me - and I need upgrades too. So I need it as well.

See the problem with your logic? We both need that sword to improve our character’s pixel quality. You’re argument’s logic is falsely placed on an assumption that no one else in your group needs things too and entirely omits the possibility that there is nothing at said camp to benefit me.

In both examples, my need would equal your need.
  11. Machentoo Augur

You holdouts try to make this about reputation, but it isn't any more. Most of the EQ community has adopted the approach of hitting need on everything. It's not just the asshats or the selfish jerks that are doing this. This approach is actually better for the community and reputations, because it eliminates tension between different classes. Melee toons need a FBSS but casters want the SMR? The priest wants none of the above but wants to camp the adamantite epaulets? Now you don't have to worry about arguing over which camp to do, or part of the group getting what they want and the other part not, because you can do any of the camps and everyone "wins" by getting a roll on everything.
    Thalliius likes this.
  12. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Wouldn't it be cool to show up with BiS tradeable gear you bought with kronos and then roll need on that item that poor timmy needs to replace his cloth slippers? :D
  13. Machentoo Augur

If I am carrying the group with full BiS, Timmy ought to be thankful I am there at all grouping with his scrub in cloth slippers, and not mind me rolling.
  14. Madae Elder

There comes that boxer entitlement...
  15. Machentoo Augur

No, if I were boxing he wouldn't be in my group in the first place.
  16. Madae Elder

I'd prefer need before greed, but there are arguments from both sides that do make sense.
    You cannot guarantee someone will keep the item they win and not just sell it. Alternatively, if it's a great item that's worth a lot, it's hard to argue with other people that think it should be a fair roll for everyone, because they can just turn it around and buy the things they need instead.
    On the flip side, spending hours/days/weeks farming for one item is not fun, especially when you see the item drop multiple times and you lose the rolls, knowing that they're just going to sell it.
    Honestly, I think it's an inherent problem with the system. You have the people that farm for the item and lose it to someone else, you have those people creating boxed accounts to do things on their own where they don't have to worry about competition, and you have the community evolving to all-need so no one helps anyone. In the end, EQ has become very selfish and fueled by greed, which is why I tend to play classes that don't need a lot of gear to be successful just so I don't have to worry about this whole meta aspect of the game. Thankfully, a lot of end game gear is no drop, so as long as you keep the longterm in mind, it's not that big of a deal. If you want a nbg system, your best bet is to just join a guild.
    Faydark likes this.
  17. vylo Augur

I wasn't the cleric at the time and already had FBSS (was a rogue twink). Was just there for the exp. O
  18. Sturn Augur

I am a rogue and I would never demand "NBG" for a camp like Frenzy. If I did then we'd never find healers for the camp. Everyone needs plat for gear and spells therefore everyone needs everything.
  19. LittleBrumski Augur

Because people are too frickin lazy to discriminate between what they do and don't need. It's pathetic.
  20. birisu Elder

It's pretty simple. Everyone needs plat. Ergo anything with a plat value is needed by everyone. Once group loot starts to become no drop, then people will be more than happy to give it to the player who can wear it. Even then people will still roll need on gems and other vendor trash because why wouldn't you? Everyone needing is functionally the same as everyone greeding, except it eliminated the possibility of someone 'accidentally' needing on that diamond every now and then.