Mangler is now vastly more popular

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dawdle, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Dawdle Augur

Sense DB increased the XP rates on Mangler it has without a doubt become the preferred 20th anniversary TLP server.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/mangler-all-known-guilds-so-far.255064/

Mangler has 14 guilds and counting, each having 100's of apps. This server will have a massive population. No focus effects and high XP rates with classic launch looks like a huge success.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/selos-all-known-guilds-so-far.255229/

Selos has 9 guilds so far. It looks like for every 10 apps posted to a Mangler guild Selos might have drawn maybe 1. Fast unlocks, increased rare spawns, insane XP rates and Luclin launch has had no where near the same kind of draw.

I'll be starting on Selos and then switching over to Mangler later down the road. Everything is going to go so fast. This server has almost no grind for the first 3 months when you compare to anything else. Gearing should be easy with the double rare spawns event always running. Starting with the Bazaar is great for someone like myself who doesn't have as much time as I had for TLP's in the past. Switching to Mangler around the end of Kunark and then catching up for Luclin seems like the best thing for me.

This is the adventure of 20 years. Something we will probably all remember, the most epic TLP launch ever. 2 servers, 23 guilds, 1000's of people turning up. Where will you be and why?
    Fallfyres likes this.
  2. vylo Augur

One major problem is selo's higher exp will flicker out in record time, leaving us with 1/3 the time of most TLPs to level and gain AA. It will be insane. They should boost it higher than live until it actually goes live.
    ForumBoss, Hateseeker and snailish like this.
  3. Dabrixmgp Augur

If Selos had 2 month instead of 1 month unlocks it would probably be reversed.
  4. Quill Augur

Honestly.. I see a fair amount of people playing both. Selos is what you play once you've capped on Mangled, and are waiting for the next xpac. Or put another way, what are you going to do for the other 10 weeks after you've hit 50 and have the raids on farm?
  5. hmmmmm New Member

Bah 90% of the day 1 population is gone by the time Velious hits. This year I would rather play Luclin and beyond during those first few months. I might give classic yet another try next year, when they release 3 servers :p
    Yinla likes this.
  6. vylo Augur

Alts, alts for days.

But honestly, I see about double the interest in mangler than selos so far. Even the new discord has a lot more activity on mangler. I don't think selo will be a ghost town at launch, but I think the burnout will get pretty high within a year.
  7. Kigaz New Member

I agree with this, while all TLP servers see their populations slowly melt away I do have a feeling Selo will be a bit faster than past TLPs. That said, it could work out well. Play on Selo for 9-12 months, and you could still catch up on Mangler relatively easily seeing as the xp rates there are still really good.

I'm sure both servers will be very fun to play on.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  8. a_librarian Augur

Selo is basically an event server.
  9. Machentoo Augur

If the server I want were the one they gave us, it would be the most popular server ever!
    Gana, Thalliius and Aneuren like this.
  10. Typucm Elder

Seems them will open 3rd (overflow Mangler) server, like LJ and i think its not good idea.
    3rd server must be some unique, like i post here, or some other type server.
    Personally i prefer any type free-trade TLP..

11. SunDrake Augur

Its mind boggling that people are still beating that drum for this round of TLPs. If that ever happens, rest assured it won't be as part of an overflow server.
  12. Chopsuey Augur

I'm a sucker for new server launches but I can't do another year of 1-60 content. 1 month will be hard to handle. So it's Selo for me.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  13. ShivanAngel Augur

A lot of people have this attitude...

Really think people are underestimating how many people will play on selos.

Well mangler be higher? yes
    Will mangler have twice the pop of selos? doubt it.
    Maybe 50% more players, but Selo's will still have a very nice population
  14. Undustas Lorekeeper

Mangler will also have over double the krono farmers.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  15. snailish Augur

It doesn't matter.

It doesn't even matter which server is more viable in 6 months or a year.

Lots aren't going to play on either. Some of those will play the next progression server(s) but most will play where they already are.

Most of the next progression server(s) players will be existing progression players (including Mangler and Selos) and if they offer a new flavor that hits the mark... recapture some not playing people.

New flavors that people like to post about: longer unlocks with AoC, free trade loot, really high XP, pvp, etc. --all of which have an audience, some of which would only have a small niche audience. If the only server they open next year is progression PVP (no matter the rest of the ruleset) it will be small population and dwindle fast --doesn't mean they shouldn't or won't do it, but don't expect fireworks out of a disposable lighter.

It doesn't matter. Have fun playing the game.
  16. Zansobar Augur

This. If they had made it 2 months unlocks, the double xp and double rares and half raid lockout timers makes it equivalent of a 4 month expansion unlock without the wait, which would have been VERY tempting to move to. If it had been that AND starting in classic, I think it would have been a no-brainer as the best TLP choice. But instead we have 1 month unlocks so Mangler is the surefire choice.
  17. Sultan Elder

Get your krono farm on gurl!!!
  18. Chuuk Augur

Mangler just feels like a new TLP server that you can "invest" in. Selo's is just too fast...if I spend a week on vacation I'm going to miss a quarter of the expansion.

I'll undoubtedly roll on Selos first - experiencing the fresh TLP feeling with SoL unlocked is definitely worth it. I'll probably wait until Mangler gets to RoK before I roll there...classic doesn't really appeal to me.

Krono farmers will most likely gather on Mangler. It will be interesting because a number of items will have their values radically altered because of the lack of focus items (namely, ODS).
  19. Brumski Augur

People can try Selo for 9 months (to TSS), then if they discover it is not what they want, come back to Mangler and still easily be max level and well geared by the time PoP starts.

There's always a chance that DBG will adjust the release times on Selo or raise the XP more. I can't imagine why they would WANT people to burn out and quit selo. TLPs require an account, so it is in their best interest to put in place terms that will make the server successful in the long run.
    Pirlo likes this.
  20. Nicorus Elder

The real trouble is half the unlocks still means double the play time to keep up if you want to see the raid game. It's something most people can't commit to long term, plus they didn't do much to make keying easier and those keying pushes are time consuming as well. Makes for a cool event server though