Disable Chat Tabs

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Rhandom, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Rhandom Journeyman

I know this is probably a repost- but if I wanted to use chat tabs, I would play EQ2. My UI used to work as I wished, without having to mouseclick just to see info I wanted- Now, I HAVE to use tabs to reclaim Screen space wasted by the new windows, and can no longer have all the info I want displayed at the same time. Please allow us to disable Tabs completely, like we can disable tell windows.
    Bubossi, Yinla and EQRoark like this.
  2. Axenex New Member

Why do you feel the need to fix things that are not broken?????????? I liked my chat just the way it was after 19+ years I do/did not need you to make it so I can't see tells and have to waste time looking for what ppl are saying to me. You have a VOTE option for us why don't you ASK before you shove things out that we do not need.
    Yinla, Bubossi and narksar like this.
  3. Ssdar Augur

Personally, I think the tabs are a pretty cool feature, although I understand many are having a hard time with the default implementation. If you don't mind trying to use a custom UI mod there are a couple options available that reduce the space by removing the redundant titlebar: Titlebarless Chat and Tabbed Chat Window.
    If you really hate the new tabs and don't want to use them at all, there is the Tabless Chat available as well.

Is your issue that your tell windows are no longer going to one chat and are instead separated into tabs? If so, you can disable tell windows in the Alt+O options menu on the left side and this will keep them all going to one window. If you just don't like the new chat windows in general, see my reply in the first half of this comment.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  4. Bubossi New Member

I'm finding this change horrid. I routinely resize my eq by double clicking the title bar to bring it down to a small size so I can multitask. Now, with the change, my chat windows (three: melee, spells and other[main chat]) stay where they were in the little view when I double click the title bar to get back to full screen windowed. So I have to move all my chat windows about again, and again, and again.

I agree with those who say don't fix what is not broken. What we have now is very broken.
    narksar likes this.
  5. Hadesborne Augur

You managed to break even my custom Spike Spin Target indicator. Something that shouldn,t have broken with this patch but alas, whatever was changed with UI is now affecting EVERYTHING ELSE.
    Yinla and Bubossi like this.
  6. Moege Augur

Doing this loses the close and minimize buttons
    Even rightclick->window->minimize is greyed out

The issue is that "Use tell windows" function changed
    Previous: Open new chat window for each unique tell
    Current: Open new window and then new tab in window for each unique tell

And you cannot control to which window the tabs are opened in, it is always a new window not one that you assign.

Closing a chat now requires you to rightclick window and close, 2 actions where before you could click the close button. i.e a decrease in usability.
    narksar likes this.
  7. Doc2001 New Member

I'm finding this change horrid. I routinely resize my eq by double clicking the title bar to bring it down to a small size so I can multitask. Now, with the change, my chat windows (three: melee, spells and other[main chat]) stay where they were in the little view when I double click the title bar to get back to full screen windowed. So I have to move all my chat windows about again, and again, and again.

I agree with those who say don't fix what is not broken. What we have now is very broken.Pls Fix
    Should be called Break Da Games
    narksar likes this.
  8. Defjam1 Journeyman

Tabs work fine, and MOST of us that don't complain about every change like them. How many more new accounts are you going to make by the way?
  9. Dyrthesis New Member

Sorry to necro this post but I am a returning long time player who took a break from the game. The new tabs they've implemented really screwed up my UI's reducing the amount of visible text in my five chat windows. As an aging person, the vision isn't what it use to be and having as much room as possible in my chat windows is a necessity.

Ssdar said:
    “If you don't mind trying to use a custom UI mod there are a couple options available that reduce the space by removing the redundant titlebar: Titlebarless Chat and Tabbed Chat Window.
    If you really hate the new tabs and don't want to use them at all, there is the Tabless Chat available as well.”

I didn't want to use a custom UI, in fact I didn't want to do anything to mess up my default UI. While it is a default UI, it has been extremely tweaked from years of playing EQ. I keep a copy of it for backup and I use it basically unchanged for all my characters irregardless of their class, solo, group, box, or raiding.

Therefore, I decided to try the Tabless Chat download from EQInterface; although, instead of dropping the entire unzipped folder into my uifiles folder and then going into the game to load the custom UI as the instruction say to do, which if I'm not mistaken requires you to redo your entire UI from scratch, I made copies of the two original xml files in the uifiles folder and then copied and pasted the two xml files from the Tabless Chat folder directly to the uifiles folder overwriting the original xml files.

This set everything back to exactly the way it was before they made the change to the game. It did not screw up my current UI's and it worked for all my characters UI's.

Moege said:
    Doing this loses the close and minimize buttons, Even rightclick->window->minimize is greyed out"

The close and minimize buttons are working fine including rightclick>windows>close/minimize are both lite up, all except for the main chat window which I'm pretty sure you could never close or minimized to begin with.

Tell window seemed to work with one person but I didn't extensively test it out since I don't use them.

I hope this can help others that may still be suffering or returning back to the game like myself.

Many Thanks To Finamdar,
    Flawless Victory!