buffing npc

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by bazinga, Mar 3, 2019.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I apologize, I confused you with shiftie. My fault. :(
    Tatanka likes this.
  2. shiftie Augur

Which doesn’t change your argument nothing I said was volatile or all over the map.

All of the things I mentioned have been added to the game much to the chagrin of the classes who possess those abilities.

As a paladin it was nice being 1 of 2 rezzing classes. Then they made mercs and my rezzing curing and buffing tree was marginalized in the group game much like nexus and pok murdered porting classes.

People want utility to their non utility classes as “flavor” because they don’t want to be hostage to the classes who possess those abilities. Rogues and bezerkers as well as monks, and casters shouldn’t be able to Rez. But here we are in a brave new Everquest and if what is good for the goose ought to be good for the gander. If an enchanter can pay a merc for cleric/paladin buffs I should be able to pay an npc for enchanter haste and current level clarity.

I’m not dipping in the bag for paying for a clickable shaman epic click but asking for focus isn’t outside the realm of sanity. A shaman for 15 pp has access to my buffs cures and heals.

You listed a bunch of non buffing classes that you play. Must be nice being a warricleric or a rogadin for a measly 15 plat. While sitting on your high-horse about how a buffing npc would be bad for the game.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I ap
    I owe you an apology as well. I blended your responses and Tatanka's responses. I'm sorry.

As far as what I play or don't play, it's irrelevant. You want 24/7 easy access to the best buffs in the game. WHO DOESN'T??? The fact is that they were made scarce for a reason. It gives them value. Common items and experiences have little value. Buffs NEED to retain their value for game balance.

I do understand what you're saying. And I agree to some extent that more classes should make their way into the mercenary roster. Maybe every class should be represented. I would be much more in favor of this route than static buff bots.
    Duder likes this.
  4. streggula New Member

Other pros and cons to add to the above posts:
    Pros:
    Will greatly benefit the majority of casual players, mediocre players and hardcore players not to mention the soloers, groupers and raiders in whatever content they are playing. I say this because
    I am a casual player. I have very limited amount of time to play. Even with my lower level buffing team, it takes way too much of my limited playing time to log in each toon, buff, log out, log in other buff toons, buff, log out, log in regular toon.

Take out the "No time Limit" on buffs in POK and GL and wherever else they placed it.
    While they are at it they should remove the NPC's which retrieve corpses from any zone in the game from the GL. Place them in each zone. When you die, go to body retrieval NPC, retrieve body, then depending on where they place the buffing NPC (Would hate to think they would place them across the zone from each other).

Place a buffing NPC in each Zone. They can have the NPC say: "Hello _________ would you like a [Haste], [HitPoint / Armor Class] or [Mana regen] for 2 hours 37 minutes for a miniscule ridiculously low low price of 1479pp"?
    They (Daybreak Devs) can also have the NPCs buff the players with level appropriate spells. I would particularly like the mana regen buff.

The CONS:
    None. It is only a game to enjoy.
  5. Duder Augur

The CONS are that it would completely remove the integrity of buffs. Why have any at all if you can just get them? I don't understand this whole request... Mercs provide cleric buffs, there are buffing piles on servers, buffs last forever in PoK, GL, GGH, Nexus?, Bazaar?...

An example is this... during RoS I molod as a Beastlord. Occasionally an enchanter would be looking to group. And before the pet resume AA ~ala TBL, it was more a pain to work with mezzed mobs, so I'd tell enchanters that their only job was to cast haste every 90 minutes, could do whatever they wanted except mez in the time between...

Point being, there is appeal to grouping with classes for their buffs... don't give them away for free, aweful, terrible idea.
  6. Duder Augur

*Clarification - Having NPCs that just cast anything you want on request is what I was referring to when I said "Don't give them away for free"
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

This whole thread does nothing except to highlight the failures of the development of the alchemy trade skill line.

Alchemist should make a vial that allows a caster to imbue it with the rank spell they have thus requiring both shaman and class diversity.

Oh, and Mercs having Rk 2 spells is just dumb. Rk 2 merc spells should be quested from group progression and rk 3 spells should be made available from raid progression. The the very least mercs should launch in an expansion with Rk1 and be server wide upgraded on a set date. But having merc progression tasks (with good XP so people repeat them) would be great.
  8. Bamboompow Augur

Have to go with the lag pile on this. Its much easier to just park my toons in the lobby and go off to take care of my daily routine. Or leave them in the guild hall. That is if I really want buffs. Honestly I prefer my computer be off if I am not using it. So I would rather have an offline afk mode if anything where I can still get buffed but not actually be online (braces for inc vitriol......)

Raid buffs seem to be a death magnet. Either its cockiness or Murphy's law. Seems like they go poof on the first pull (wipe) and then its whatever I can can cast on my own for the other 98% of the play session. So apparently they are not really needed. Nice, but not needed.

So nah. No buff NPC. Nice thought tho. "A" for effort. "D-" for implementation.
  9. Tucoh Augur

I want buff NPCs just so PoK doesn't have a mosh pit by the guild lobby on bristlebane
  10. Muji Augur

I wouldn't mind buffs that are so powerful that they persist through death.
  11. Wijimoto Journeyman

I don't like the idea of buff bots, but I wouldn't mind an offline mode for the lobby. Similar to offline trader/buyer mode.
  12. Lianeb Augur

That would rock!!! It might finally move the pile out of PoK on Xegony to a less intensive zone.
  13. Leigo You come here often?

Should be the nexus, zone buff: increase buff duration by 10% then people could buff there and not lag down pok/gl
    Duder likes this.
  14. Funky Augur

as far as buff bots... id be ok with it.. but make it a quest to obtain class dummies to put int he GGH that can periodically MGB buffs in your respective GGH

next... i just dont want to consume food when im in my ggh, gl, pok, etc.... that way i dont use song of sustenance on my bard before i make my extended afks...

lol yes i could log out.. but bleh.. then i have to log back in.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Mercs having Rank II buffs is because there was supposed to be three ranks of Merc (Apprentice, Journeyman, Master -- Think 'Solo', 'Group', and 'Raid').

The decision was made to nix the 'Raid' merc as they were considered too powerful. The others were left untouched.
  16. Yimin Augur

Buffing NPC are a great idea !

Yimin
  17. Duder Augur

I don't understand the logic and or reasoning... you do like Everquest don't you? I don't think folks consider the implication of changes like this. Cleric buffs from mercs aren't enough? Give me more, more, more...?

Why have any class any different than any other, lets have beastlord mezzes, and paladin harm touches, and heck, lets put monk mend on a 1s cooldown... ohh yeah, and lets remove anything from the game that might make playing with other people any kind of draw.

There are plenty of terrible emulated EQ servers out there that have this kind of garbage, play there, enjoy.

/boggle
  18. Warpeace Augur

Going with the spirit of the thread, remove buffs from the game, problem solved.
    Dythan and Duder like this.
  19. streggula New Member

I like that idea the most actually. I say go one way or the other...give perma buffs or remove them altogether. Or at least say we might go this route:
    Buffing NPC
    Then no more buffs from that NPC for say 24 hours. Win/Win I think.