buffing npc

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by bazinga, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Khat_Nip Meow

Did you or anyone else that responded to my post bother to read what I was responding to?
    No.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yes, we responded to the ability (to cast buffs) rather than the small detail of location (guild lobby).

sheesh
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I will say this: I don't want buff bots.

But if they are implemented, go whole hog on it, devs. I want to see every buff represented, along with Rk. III for raiders who have the appropriate achievements for the era the buff is from, and the price determines the duration. Want a 100-hour haste? That will be 100,000PP.

Let's also put porters in the Lobby. To any zone, and any location we choose.
    Let's also put a platinum dispenser in, where you can grab a quick million PP every 24 hours.
    Let's also give people the ability to run five mercs so they never have to beg for a group.
    Let's also give people …

Yeesh. Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, Gimme....
  4. bazinga Elder

And thats fine, you don't have to use them. It takes ZERO effort to not be a part of a change to the game. After 20 years it has changed, and will continue to change as long as there are people still willing to play. Not everyone has a bot army to buff, time to sit and beg for buffs on a limited play time, or want to deal with trying to put together groups just to have those groups fall apart due to not having unlimited play time.
    We all know its a long shot to have something like this implemented into the game but some changes don't happen without input from the people that play.
    Tatanka likes this.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You read me wrong. I don't want buff bots for a specific reason: It will cause lasting and irreparable damage to the game.
    Yinla, Conq and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

No, it won't
  7. Lianeb Augur

I sometimes wonder if people know that you can play this game without buffs.
    My raids clerics get mad when I take a Rez and just jump back in “there are things to tank, therefore I must”
    Seen people in PoK begging for buffs for hours. I dunno maybe they got buffs and went and died and returned 2min later of they sat in PoK for a straight hour begging to get buffed I don’t know.
    Seen tanks on open raids standing around not tanking things while people die and you ask them to step in....”I need buffs” wtf?

The desire for some to have buffs all the time is dumbfounding to me
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Aurastrider Augur

Certainly some pro's and potential cons to this idea. Again I have my own buff bots so it wont impact me either way because I like having the ability to mobilize them to cut down on zoning.

Pros
    -Players spend less time on yet another time sink standing around waiting for buffs
    -Players who maybe are struggling with something without buffs might have enough of a power gain to be successful.
    -It might remove the lag pile people complain about in the GL/POK or where ever each server has theirs located.
    -It could remove plat from circulation

Cons
    -Buff classes become less desirable (look at clerics)
    -The game becomes more automated or at least feels that way to some (although leaving a toon without buffs afk in the GL over night and coming back to full buffs is less than engaging).
    -Players become further detached from the population relying on npc's rather than other players (this already happens to an extent with multiple box toons providing buffs for people and mercs).
    -Players with less in game wealth will be even poorer while the wealthiest on a server remain at the top.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

To Lianeb:

My point is the opposite.

I play without buffs, other than the ones I cast myself. I'd love to have the buffs others are already getting, hanging in the lag pile, or with their own buff crew available. But I'm not going to waste what little EQ time I have looking for buffs. Now, if they made buff NPCs available, it wouldn't take a lot of time to get them, so I would, and then we could do some of this "plat sink" stuff everyone says is so necessary ;)
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It will. In ways you haven't even considered yet.
  11. shiftie Augur

Did the nexus, guildhall ports or pok stones ruin the game or add convenience?
    Did potions for clarity, haste, se and regen ruin the game or add convenience?
    Did Rez tokens on the loyalty vendor ruin the game?
    Did cleric mercs ruin the game?
    Did gate potions or invisibility potions ruin the game
    Did guildhall or house anchors ruin the game?

There are so many examples that make your assertions Lulzy. Much has been farmed out at this point buffs increase kill rate and allow for more concentrated gameplay. Only good for rezzing monk who teleports and enjoys all the benefits already farmed out.
    Tatanka likes this.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

And so many examples of classes and mechanisms that were utterly destroyed. Transportation, the very thing that made the game feel so large and alive because it took time and effort to go ANYWHERE, became like a McDonald's drive thru. Who needs to cook any more? Just drive and pay. Dinner's served.

Clerics are so scarce due to Mercs that many don't even bother to LFG.

Invis potions made travel through most regions of the game a yawnfest.

Rez tokens are probably the worst addition to the game. Ever. Clickable in-combat with 96% EXP return???? Even dedicated priest classes can't do that. Shaman and Druid combat rezzes are 90% at best. With rez tokens anyone can rez. To even imply they had no impact on the game is utterly moronic.

This isn't my game. It belongs to DBG. The design and development decisions were made and they are final. If buff bots are placed in the lobby, we might as well do away with buffs altogether and just grant permanent stat increases.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yes, the bigness made the game special at first. After the nth time taking forever to get where you want to, will you keep playing the game? I wouldn't.

People complained about playing a cleric before mercs. It just let the less dedicated off the hook.

Invis potions: your yawnfest is my not-wasting-time-on-content-that's-in-the-way-of-the-content-I-want-to-be-doing.

Rez tokens... never used one, so I have no opinion on that. But it was overcompensating for the stupendously ridiculous design decision in original EQ where >1< of 16 possible classes could rez.

"This isn't my game. It belongs to DBG" - and we're all grateful for that.
  14. shiftie Augur

The point is that the cat is out of the bag. Farming of abilities has been creeping consistently over the years at this point what is the difference. If synergistic abilities didn’t have such a huge impact and buffs were marginal no one would care. Players dependent on these buffs to gain the most over x period of time wouldn’t care. The crux of the situation is that they have made there buffs paramount to being effective and it is noticibke when you are without.

Slower game play is not fun for anyone.
  15. svann Augur

Lets not romanticize begging or paying for a port, ok?

No one wants to run with mercs instead of clerics. If you have a real cleric you are always welcome in our groups. But dont expect us to wait an hour till you get online.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The greatest poor excuse of all time. Let's just make EQ a single player game and be done with it already.

You can absolutely notice when buffs are missing. That's what makes them special... valuable. Putting buff bots in the lobby reduces their value to 0. Everyone would have them. Why even tune the game around them now? Like I said, just add the buff stats permanently and remove buff spells altogether if you're advocating for buff bots.

I am really just pissing into the wind here. You'll probably get what you want. But I maintain that buff bots are a terrible idea.
  17. shiftie Augur

What class do you play?
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Your arguments are all over the map. Can you pick one position and stick with it or are you really okay with just cherry-picking any viewpoint which suits your volatile, argumentative nature?

This is a thread about buffbots. I'm not sure what you're arguing about at this point, other adopting the opposite of anything I write. Which I guess is par for course when the discussion turns to "Argue for yourself, not for the argument."
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Irrelevant. But since you asked: War, Monk, Zerk, Sham, Cleric, Bard, Druid, Wiz, SK. Usually not all together.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

TL;DR - you're not very bright, so this will be my last response to you. I was addressing issues YOU brought up, in your post directly above mine.

Bye