An Update to Selos and Mangler - Coming March 16, 2019

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roxxlyy, Feb 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

No such thing as settled law.
  2. Islapped New Member

A couple thoughts to those complaining they didn't change Selos or that Mangler is the same as Coir/Phin:
    1) Selos was only bad when it was billed the casual and Mangler the hardcore. The change of mangler to be progression xp rate effectively makes it the casual one. Whereas Selo will play in one of two ways: either you can blow through leveling and see the content and not raid (fairly casual) or you can try to raid at that pace (about as hardcore as it gets).
    2) Mangler is distinctly different from previous servers named. It is basically Agnarr that doesn't get stuck and start to dwindle. However, the xp rate isn't painfully slow as with Coir/Phin. Basically it is a quasi-permanent home for people who want to enjoy content at a more leisurely pace and raid with a life/game balance acceptable to a married person. That happens to be a fit for what I was seeking.

At least try to be fair to DBG, folks. Selos is a cool idea I just don't happen to be interested in. I criticized it in the context of Mangler being a terrible xp rate because both servers would be bad for raiders who only want a couple nights a week and don't want brutal leveling. Given another viable alternative, I have no issue with Selos catering to someone different than me.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Jogath Journeyman

All good observations. I think most people are being fair to DBG. Mangler is in good shape, but there's two main requests that seem to be focused around Mangler's rule set (since I think people get that Selos is intended to cater to the rapid raider player):
    1. What about boxing?
    2. What about FV rule set?

At least for me, limited boxing comes down to supporting a casual play style (soloing sucks, duoing is better, etc). It would be awesome if the Devs could comment on the outlook / current thinking of creating a TLP that addresses boxing and the FV rule set.

For me, Mangler w/ limited boxing would knock if out of the park. Right now, I'm stuck trying to figure out if / how I would try to build another PC.... and I don't really want to do that just to enjoy the game the way I want to enjoy it.
  4. Islapped New Member

That makes sense. I enjoy not having so many armies of boxes. Playing on Agnarr, there are people who run armies of toons, but they are the exception rather than the rule. I duo using an old computer and find having two keyboards and mice to be pretty manageable. Running more chars than that makes the game feel like more work than fun, personally. By picking effective duo comps (mnk/shm, enc/clr) I find I can do plenty without a group, but there is still the incentive to be a community and find groups, striking a good balance for my tastes.

I have always preferred to loot my items from the still-warm corpse of the vanquished foe, so I don't like the insane chrono farming to buy your gear element that I would anticipate accompanying the FV rules. Not to mention the absolute inaccessibility of any open world content for the average player when it is locked down by farmers. It seems No-Drop maintains a lot of the integrity of the game. Pay-to-win devalues pretty much any game for me. There is no win, and the journey is the fun. For those who enjoy it, I could see looking for an FV home. For me, it would be the reason I avoided Mangler. The absolute worst experiences I have had on Agnarr were due to farmers.

A lot of people are being fair. I don't love the "DBG didn't do exactly what I want, they don't care about us, I am cancelling" tone of a few. Such petulance ruined the community of games like WoW.
    Yinla and Jogath like this.
  5. Frostbeard99 New Member

We are in the electronic age, How about DB puts up a vote page, adds (and continues to add) all the features we want so we, the community, can truly dial in what we consider BEST SERVER EVER!
    It sounds like (and from what I'm hearing in feedback) 1.) FV style (everything is trade-able) 2. Forget increasing spawn rates of named and simply make the named always spawn and always drop the key piece. 30 days between expansions is HARD CORE. (or just make all zones open and bypass the key grind all together)?
  6. Jogath Journeyman

Art thou trolling? Me thinks thou art trolling...
  7. Frostbeard99 New Member

With a name like Frostbeard, wouldn't I be 'Barbarianing' you?
  8. Jogath Journeyman

I bow to your wit good sir!
    Frostbeard99 likes this.
  9. Jogath Journeyman

I think the observations boil down to: selos is a new concept, mangler is another ragefire but with truebox. Something more casual (like FV rule set etc) that supports limited boxing is what people were wanting... me too.
  10. Xplodr New Member

Yes. Some of us actually want to play through all the expansions and not only the first 5 or 6 over and over....and over....and over........
  11. Ceffener Augur

You could stop dropping off TLP when a new one launches and continue progression with the guilds that are still progressing. Phinny is on the 15th expansion, about to be 16th and has a healthy population.

But if you start 25 servers you think there will be a population per server to support each expansion?
    Yinla likes this.
  12. Jogath Journeyman

Looks like we're not going to get much Dev input on current thoughts. Still probably gonna play on Mangler, as I am just looking forward to classic content. Devs, any updates (pro or con) on the boxing / FV rules?
  13. Dragon Jockey Lorekeeper

I like the True Box rules that they have in place, and don't want the FV rules. The only thing I don't like about Selo is the fast expansions, but looks like that is how it is going to go. Should be fun anyways. Can't wait for the new servers to open in a couple weeks. Lots of folks running around hunting, like back in the old days. Fun stuff.
  14. Qalliel Lorekeeper

I just want to personally thank everyone submitting their ideas to make this anniversary servers amazing and to thank the community managers and designers for listening and improving for what. People asked for
    Plowwed likes this.
  15. Ssauleron New Member

I would play on new FV server rogression rule set. That is what I was hoping for.
    YourNameHere likes this.
  16. Grailer Augur

Mangler seems to be the best choice, slow and steady progression. Too fast is bad , too slow is bad , need to hit that goldielocks spot .

No boxing is a bonus too as boxing is cheating.
  17. CReturning New Member

"Rares will be more likely to spawn"

On the surface this makes me think mobs like the arch magus, but what about something like Verina Tomb? A mob like that is already a pretty nasty bottleneck with previous unlock times.
  18. Brovaar Elder

I'm a casual too. I play on and off, but I am going to Selos because I get more thrill out of having my toons a little OP (twinked). I hate running around with armor that has no stats. So for this casual I will be depending on fast progression to later expansions, and hardcore players who will fill the market with some decent gear. I don't need the best; just better than plain.

My only wish is that DBG would change their approach on true-box a little. Maybe offer instead a limited-box server where you can run a maximum of three toons per client. I have five accounts but can still enjoy playing with three at a time.
  19. Exmortis_MT Augur

Personally the no box is a killer for me. I play with a small group of friends, and with out boxing we cant fill in the group. As progression servers fade boxing becomes important, Lockjaw has been in that state for some time. Not sure why all the hate for it, we had some pretty impressive box armies on Lockjaw, but pretty much had little affect on us, the behavior of one guild of thruster packs was the issue. Worst bunch of primates I ever had the displeasure of sharing a server with.

I would love FV rules too, as a casual non raider, that would open the door for some gear. Its not a killer, but it would be the clincher to give Mangler a try.

3 month unlocks would be little fast, 4 would be perfect for me, but 3 is a solid choice over all.

However it is a moot point, no box no play, so Lockjaw I stay. Well until server dies a slow agonizing death anyway.
    Jedipokey likes this.
  20. Thovor New Member

I wanted to say that as a new player who is interested in everquests progression servers. I think the time the players are given is to short. I think that in most expansions the players are given about a year to complete the content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.