Simply raising XP doesn't really help casual players.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Strawberry, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Ltldogg Augur

Nope
  2. snailish Augur

Some quit because the unlocks move too fast.

Some quit because they only play until ___________ (insert xpac here).

Some quit because they can only enjoy endgame raiding in era but don't actually have the time/desire to commit to succeeding.

or real life intervenes (unexpectedly, or predictably if the person was honest)

Some are fine but always find drama that makes them quit (in a guild, etc.)

Some only play as certain friends stay interested.

Some only play when there guild on another server (or another game) is not doing interesting things.

Some have seasonal jobs (not so many EQ people at school anymore) or such.

Some quit for the next server, every time.

Phinny didn't have the feeling of the same sudden drops... because AoC solves the problem of other guilds being the barrier to you enjoying that aspect of the game

Some quit because they insist on trying to get a contested spawn with a single-account character with minimal hope of winning DPS races...

Fast XP will work well for a lot of people. No reason to be down on it.
  3. Magic Augur

For me great casual thing is FV ruleset (free-trade, exp not matter).

Be able to get some raid gear without raiding is amazing.
    I can do tradeskills/farm something/buy krono if needed and got some raid weapon for my toon without needed to do progression/keying/raiding few hours in a row..
  4. Evade Augur

If you want to know what a casual player cares about, just ask.

We care about obtaining gear. We care about completing content. We care about leveling our characters.

We care about the same things hardcore players care about. But we have families, jobs, and other commitments that prevent us from obtaining these things in a timely manner.
  5. RainbowTest Augur

A Casual player in any other game would want to beat the game in one sitting and not have to worry about timesinks or difficulty curves. Translate that to your 20 year old game? Free heroics, more spawnrates, non competitive raid instances like GoD era. Make the heroics free only in the opening week of an expansion or once a year and make it a pay service the rest of the year. Casuals don't grind, casuals don't compete, we just come home, crack a beer, and play rocket league till we pass out, compete with that model and you have yourself a successful casual market.
  6. Ishbu Augur

So you stated you dont want to commit the time. Ok that's on you as it is your choice.

Is this where I get replies of, "People have jobs now!"?

Newsflash, many of us had jobs 15-20 years ago too. Nothing new here
  7. Barton The Mischievous

Sorry - I am Casual and care about levels and gear
  8. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Then you and other posting along the same lines are not casual players. If a player logs in just to play and is not concerned with the outcome then they are casual even if they have a goal in mind for that evening's entertainment. There will be other days in which to meet that goal after all. If they are concerned with the outcome of that session though then they are not casual. A player can move effortlessly between being casual and hardcore in a single session and even do it multiple times during that session. /shrug
    Ishbu likes this.
  9. Nolrog Augur

I agree and I disagree. I think casuals do care about having gear and levels but they don't need to have them within 48 hours of the expansion opening. They still want to get to the same destination (maybe not top end raid gear of course) but they want to take the scenic route and enjoy the flowers, the trees, look at that person hanging the laundry out naked, and then eventually get to that destination as well.

For casuals, it's the journey, not the destination, for hard core, it's the destination, not the journey, but they do want to get to the same place.
    LadyRanger, Tymeless and Ragnoruk like this.
  10. sumnayin Augur

Play on Selos...
  11. Strawberry Augur

The notion that casual players don't care about XP or gear, when the whole game is based on acquiring XP and gear, is ridiculous.

EQ is a game fully based on progression, in the form of XP and gear. Arguing that casual players don't care about either one, is an argument you'll have a very hard time defending.

Just because casuals aren't focused on min-maxing or about the rate of progression to the same extent, doesn't mean they don't value gear. Everyone playing EQ realizes the value of gear and how a lack of gear can make content impossible to do, and how powerful gear can make it trivial. Casual players are just as impacted by this as anyone else.

If very casual players don't care about gear, then how come we have
    -newbee quest gear in PoP
    -gear vendors in PoK literally selling gear now
    -defiant gear
    -OMM, Monster missions, etc

In fact I can fill a whole page with changes that hapened in EQ that allow casuals to gain gear (and XP) more easily over time.

One of the main problems I have with TLP, and I believe this is the reason population drops so spectacularly on TLP, is that none of those things are present on TLP launch, and the whole economy is dominated by krono sales, limiting casual players from attaining access to gear to begin with. XP has been addressed, gear has not been properly addressed.
    Jedipokey likes this.
  12. Strawberry Augur

I'm very in favor of the higher XP rate (I might have given the impression I was not, rest assured, I hated cornaiv's slow XP just as much as anyone else).

But I don't think simply raising XP without also addressing that you will need to have gear to match this rate, doesn't fully solve the problem for casuals.

The ability of casuals to attain gear in classic-PoP is severely limited, there's no newbee gear, gear is locked behind krono (raising spawns doesn't really help when you have krono farmers who corner the market), tradeskills are costly with often little return, there's very very little options for casuals to attain gear on TLP early on.
  13. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts. The definition for "casual" is explicit. The newbie quests, defiant, and vendor stuff wasn't put in for casual players, it was put in to help jump start those trying to reach the peak of the mountain. If someone is striving for something in this game and are actually concerned about getting there they are not a casual. They maybe ignorant, inept, lazy, time deprived, or just plain stupid in their game play, but they are just as hardcore as those weirdos in RoI during race season.
  14. Barton The Mischievous

Ok so which explicit definition did everyone agree to for casual in relation to gaming???? Can you point me to that post.
  15. Zanarnar Augur

You really sound clueless.. defiant gear was put in to help everyone catch up. I'd wager casual players on servers where defiant exists use more of it and wear it longer then "hardcore" players as the latter group will be trying to replace it with better, raid gear, as soon as possible. The casual players won't see gear better then defiant from the group side of things until SoF or SoD.

Noob quests are 100% aimed at casual players.. hardcore raiders won't even slow down leveling long enough to bother with them.

your opinion of what makes a casual player is as off-base as DBG's is. Absor's reply pretty much confirms that much. Its silly to say casual players don't chase gear... they just chase group gear not raid gear. The don't tend to have the time or [whatever] to engage in raiding so group gear, quested gear, and the like are their progression.
  16. RandomStrategy Augur

Savage.
  17. yerm Augur

Go to google or bing or duckduckgo or whatever works for you. Type in the word casual. Read the first or primary definition. You should see words or a sentence that states a lack of concern / disinterest.

This is the definition of casual.

You can certainly want to gain levels and acquire pixels and be casual. That is why the idea behind the casual server before the rebranding had high xp, rares, and instance unlocks. What makes you not casual is that strong concern, aka needing it all in era before moving and not having to come back, or needing to farm full sets, or doing numerous chase item quests that were designed as timesinks.

Even if you meet some tertiary meaning of casual like part-time commitment, if it is paired with strong interest/concern it's not casual.
  18. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Look the word casual up in a dictionary. Words have meaning.

If defiant gear was put in to help everyone catch up why the hell is it so hard to come by? A toon could out level the content before it gets a full gear of level appropriate defiant. No, it was not there to help a "casual" player do anything but it probably had the side of effect of giving someone a thrill.

A hardcore player does not equal a raider nor does casual equal a group game player. There are many players that are not raiders and are just if not more hardcore than a freak in CT during race season. Nor is time a factor in whether they are hardcore or casual. I have met players who only have 30 minutes to burn lesson who are more intense and demanding than some raiders I know.
  19. Gana Augur

Casual or Hardcore is a mindset of how you use the time you have to play. Whether it is 8 hours or 8 minutes. Efficiency and effectiveness is the difference, not play time or raider/non-raider.
  20. Doze Augur

In my experience then most casuals DO care about all of the same things as non-casuals - they just care about them at a slower rate.
    Jedipokey and LadyRanger like this.