Ya know what would be really Nice DBG? Maps...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by northstar, Feb 16, 2019.

1. shiftie Augur

I recommend doing as the eq gods intended and using the map tool to create your own.

Anything less is rather crotchety including complaining about others who have done the enormous amount of work for you.
  2. Gundolin Augur

I thought they intended us to use three ring binders with print out from EQ Atlas and then use /Loc to try and figure out where you are in the world.
    Caell, Aanuvane, Akrom and 4 others like this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Whether they intended it or not, that's what we did ;)
    Gundolin, Pirlo and Fanra like this.
  4. shiftie Augur

I ran the borders of zones and paid attention to land marks. Inside dungeons I memorized layouts. In rare instances I asked gnomeworks to guide me. That was part of the wonder of Everquest. Sister isle, newbie ramp, cross roads chess board.

I felt spoiled when sense heading leveled up. When maps started popping up I marveled. When in game maps were available I respected anyone who had the patience to make them. Now the find feature and atlas/zone connector.

How anyone finds time to complain about this baffles me.

Oh yeah true north had a purpose and so did dropping things in the ground. Lol I distinctly remember dropping coin in underwater crevices or up a mountain side because I didn’t trust anyone to transfer it to my toon I was logging in praying I could get past the queue.

We are the spoiled brats of nitrate and it shows.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I still have mine!
    Gundolin likes this.
  6. Kiev New Member

I Have to agree, ever since Caudyr retired , the new person making maps thinks everyone has 20/10 vision and can read super small brown text on a gray field.

Every time I zone into a area I got to edit his maps because they are horrendously labeled with a HUGE red marking for 0,0 which is unnecessary.
    Either maps need to be included or this game is in dire need of a better map maker.
  7. Tolzol Augur

Two things, first there is a zoom function on the map, second use goods maps I’ve never seen a brown label using his.
    Orbital101 and Yinla like this.
  8. Kiev New Member

Just downloaded Good's

Brewall's are disastrous
    Gyurika Godofwar and kizant like this.
  9. Orbital101 Augur

or you can change fonts in option and pick one that as bigger letters... The thing is now with new zones is that they get smaller but still have lots of useful information.... Maps get over crowded of labels very fast.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You can also edit off any labels you don't feel you need/want on your map in game (or add labels as there are some missing that I find important). I even have another drop down option that I show my "edited" maps.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I wish they would give us more layers, but I have found having different sets works well.

Currently in love with Good's collection maps. :)
    Orbital101 likes this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL, you're NOT agreeing with him. You don't like the quality of the maps. He says they have viruses. How is that agreeing?
  13. Kiev New Member

He referenced Brewalls maps. Other people pointed out how bad they were, that is what I agreed with.
    A Little reading comprehension goes a long way. Maybe read an entire thread before making a post trying to seem witty.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Sorry, you're the one who needs reading comprehension. You quoted him complaining about corrupted files. That's the quote you agreed with. You didn'y quote the other people you were agreeing with.

Whatever. Have a nice day.
  15. dwhinc New Member

Definitely an odd thread. Most of the posters seem to have showed up in last day or so and posted 20+ times, with no real history behind them. Seem to be trolling on different topics. Odd on the vitriol and lack of specifics. Viruses and bad zip files. No info on what site, antivirus program, or flagged virus.

I just checked mapfiend, good's site, brewall's, and none are flagged by any of the 40+ virus scanners on the internet. Hats off to these folks who take time to make maps for the rest of us to use, with no financial benefit to themselves. Specifically, I checked www.virustotal.com which consolidates virus scans and none of these sites show any viruses. Try it or do an internet search for "URL virus scan", pick any of their sites. All come up clean. Do your homework and check sites, but these guys are doing a great job, all without asking for a handout.

Personally, I have large binder of maps. In game, I use both good's and brewall's. Both are solid in different ways. I love how good is able to get the maps done even before the zones go live, but I appreciate how brewall has standardized his maps from original everquest to current content. I play on progression servers and live severs and appreciate how the look and feel are the same. Brew's maps also have a legend at the bottom, and he gives credit to the original mapmakers. Just tonight, I made it a point to look at the legend as I tooled around and it gave credit on original maps to Blindheart, Grendel, Zigie, Jyve, Cardiac, and bunch of others. Kudos to him for giving credit where it was due.

EQ has been a great game for the community and anyone who can enhance it is an asset to everyone. Adetia tradeskill guide is fantastic. I would never put her down in relation to eqtraders, which is also fantastic. Who can't live without eqresource and allakhazam? The more map makers the better!
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Tatanka like this.
  16. Lone Shaman New Member

Hey Kiev. Last poster is right. No posts until yesterday and then a bunch of flame bait on maps and other topics. Knock it off.
    I'm on Coirnav and everyone loves Goodurden's or Brewall's maps and thankful to not be walking around blind.
  17. EverQuest 1999 Druid New Member

I just downloaded Good map pack and Brew map pack from their sites. No viruses found. As any IT person would recommend, don't take my word for it. Run an anti-virus scan from websites prior to downloading and then scanning again. I ran one from sitecheck and both came up clean, but never take anyone's word for it - even mine- without checking yourself.

I'll be attending fanfaire in 2019 and plan on buying a round of drinks for anyone who helps the community as much as any of these people do. I lived on eqatlas and myriad of other sites. I laud everyone who spends time helping others.

Peace Out!
    Zoogo
  18. Phiyre Augur

Back in the day of eqatlas etc, printing out maps, putting them in a binder, iirc Verant/Sony didn't really want to make maps because it ruined the immersion/exploration aspect of the game. It just wasn't part of their "vision" apparently.
  19. SubEffect An Original Lord of Fizzle and Whiff

Maps are polarizing for me. While they are extremely helpful if you just want to get from point A to B, make special notes, or help with Hunter achievements, they've also degraded some of the original exploration and excitement of wandering around.
    I was just noticing this yesterday as I was in Shard's Landing with the map up 100% of the time while running through the Underground City. Instead of learning the zone and the city, I wasn't even looking at it - I had my face stuck in the map. "In the old days" I would learn the zone landmark by landmark and know my way around. Now I get too used to using the maps - something I can control of course, but I don't.

I'm not saying do away with them at all, this is just an observation.

As for the quality - yes the thin lines and colors can be very tough to read, even with labels at max font size (which is still tiny). A new format may be a huge development effort, perhaps. Honestly, the UI in general can benefit from more sizing options for fonts. It's extremely hard to read some of the text - yes you can edit the XML files for some things, but it would be nice to have the ability to adjust on the fly without editing (and guessing) XML files and reloading the UI each time.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

The biggest change I'd like to see for maps (and won't, because it would take coding on DBG's end) is for zones with lots of vertical changes, and especially where there is stacking. I'd love to have the map just show what's on my level, z-axis-wise.