Is the casual server for casuals or not?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Strawberry, Feb 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strawberry Augur

Is selos for casual players or not?

There's this long thread going on on this forum where several selos raid guilds are trash talking each other, about who will kill what first. I have no idea why they will play on selos instead of the hardcore server

I remember that those same guilds used to train, spawnkill, prevent regular players from getting loot and sell it for krono themselves, etc. They basically made the game a terrible experience for casual players and it's the reason I and many in our guild stopped playing TLP, because when people reported offenses, you did nothing.

If these people are going to be on the casual server, I will not even bother playing on TLP, because they have a history of ruining the game for others.
    Xhartor likes this.
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Just play on the other one
  3. Renshu Augur

Go post on that thread, and pick a server not named "Selo".

This forum is cancer.
  4. snailish Augur

Selos is fast progression.

You can play casual there, if your casual play isn't about slowly going through eras with the population. It's a great place to just dabble and catch up --though why not just play on a live server if that is your thing is a good argument.

The mistake was it being labelled ultracasual. They don't need to change the rules of Selos, they need to lose that label.

And they need to make Mangler appeal to players that want slow progression (not tedious XP progression).
    Hateseeker likes this.
  5. Sethiroth Augur

nobody but daybreak can answer that question.
  6. Elyani Augur

They gave labels to the servers and it was their dumbest move to do so. They shouldn't have. They should have called them Ultra Fast, and Slow-Paced. That is what they are, not casual or hardcore.

They also cannot tell people which server they can and cannot play on based on their play style. I don't know what DBG was thinking, but from the second these servers were announced, anyone that knew the poopsockers for what they are knew they'd be on Selo.

I agree, those few guilds they talk about are annoying as hell, they do shady things, they do stomp all over the little guys and treat the game like their own personal playground (because, technically, it is). But, at some point, they do stop being as annoying as time goes on because they are more focused on the raids than on exping. They will race to get open world kills, to be expected of any guild that wants that. If you're not looking to be competitive, you have three options, ignore the riff raff on Selo, play on the server they aren't on, or as you said, don't play at all. If you want to be competitive, you have to play on their level. (You could even say that is an experience of Classic EQ!)

But DBG could honestly care less about people saying "I won't play if you don't do this!!" unless it's in large enough quantities that is scares them... such as the Mangler Ruleset or TrueBox servers. They know they can't make EVERYONE happy, and will go with the majority every single time.
    Hirbow likes this.
  7. Ishbu Augur

The title of your thread asked if the casual server is for casuals. Obviously the answer is yes.

The question you asked in your post is a completely different question
  8. yerm Augur

This is a casual server if your definition of casual involves a safari trip through expansions and limited time grinding or doing long quests (at least in era). It is not for you if you wanted a slow progression experience.

The selo race thread is mostly people having fun. Memes, raps, baiting, etc. It's not supposed to be taken seriously.

The people who race and ks will go to whatever server has the most content access. Fast unlocks, xp rate, and instance respawns will pull in the most hardcore even if the server is intended and marketed for window shopping casual play. The way to dodge this crowd is to select whatever server option offers the least amount of raid content per time period.

The monopolist krono farmers will go wherever the market goes. If casuals who like to buy and spend krono move to mangler, the professionals will follow. The way to dodge them is to play on whatever server has less people paying to win. If you are a casual player, this is probably not avoidable, as you are their target market so they will follow you.
  9. Elyani Augur

Truest statement ever. #DontPayWithKrono #PutThemOutOfBusiness
    So Happy likes this.
  10. Polekn Augur

I am planning to play casually on Selo (not raiding at all) and I think it is perfect for my play style with current rule set. 3 months of PoP is meh but I can live with that since if falls on summer.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. code-zero Augur

Yes Selo is for casual players. I'm beginning to suspect that most of the hoopla by people declaring it to be "hard core" is split equally between people who intend to raid there but not admit that they are doing it because it'll be easy mode for raiders and people who really don't intend to play much at all but like to think that missing a month or more at a time makes them casual
  12. Ceffener Augur

The only part of raiding that will be “easier” is lockouts. Didn’t take long for people to max AA on TBL, faster XP hasn’t made the content any easier. They will have less time to gear, key, etc. Not really an easy mode, just a faster mode, until keying stops raids from happening before unlocks.
  13. Candystore Augur

Ever since EQ developers had the bright idea to add krono to EQ, the top TLP guilds have always been been krono farmers who sell krono on 3rd party sites. I won't name names, but the leaders in those guilds are the ones actually running those sites.

The moment real money is involved, it creates a toxic atmosphere on the server. These guilds are a symptom of an environment EQ developers willingly chose to create.

The krono farming guilds hogging spawns force casuals to participate in the krono scheme to attain the gear they desire. The krono farmers make money through 3rd party sites, and EQ developers make money from their own krono sales. The ones who suffer are honest players, they are competed out of the market, and they suffer from the toxic playstyle of these farmers.
    So Happy likes this.
  14. Evade Augur

To answer your question, no.

The fast expan unlocks and faster raid lockout timers shows the server was intended for the ultra hardcore that could dedicate 10+ hours a day. I’m not sure why Daybreak thought it would appeal to casuals. Anyway, here’s hoping the fix it
  15. Ceffener Augur

As opposed to the same people doing the same thing before Krono.

Population was more spread out across more servers, but the RMT market was alive and well. Forced SoE to sue eBay, driving force behind non teadeable gear. And in the end most MMO companies said screw it, we will let them buy items from us to sell for in game currency or just sell lootboxes.

Not like DBG is the only company to come to the same conclusion.
  16. Tachyon Augur

Krono did increase the practice of buy-a-quest quite a bit as it is a legitimate transaction. That said, it has been around since the very early days of the game.
    So Happy likes this.
  17. Candystore Augur

It's not the same thing nor are they the same people.

Plat farmers were from China, they played on Chinese hours and therefore didn't interfere with Western players. They generally left people alone, they were generally nice people who didn't draw a lot of attention to them.

Krono farmers are different. They are all from the US (krono farming sites are all registered under US domains), they are incredibly aggressive (both on the forum and in-game) and since they play on Western hours, you get a lot of conflicts between krono farmers and regular players. Especially because krono farmers don't simply farm plat but farm high value items which allows them to corner the market and force regular players to buy krono (from them or DBG) to participate in the market. Krono farmers are also leaders of a lot of TLP guilds, unlike chinese farmers who farmed on their own and didn't set up whole guilds just for farming purposes.
    Elyani and So Happy like this.
  18. Ceffener Augur

I think you need to go back and learn your history of FV, and the rise of RMT market. Most of the actual Chinese RMT market was on WOW, a MMO that is actually easily accessible in China. EQ RMT started long before that popularity.

Biggest RMT auction house in the world...USA domain, it was called eBay.

same complaints, same argument 18 years later.
  19. Evade Augur

All this current state of the game talk has me wondering if coming back after 18 years was a good idea. This all sounds horrible.

Daybreak better have the most amazing casual server ever or I’m out of here.
  20. Candystore Augur

You need to learn the difference between race and nationality.

Plat farmers from China (a nationalty, not a race) didn't interfere with most EQ players because they played on hours where most EQ players were asleep.

Krono farmers from the US (a nationality, not a race) do interfere with most EQ players because they play on hours where most EQ players also play.

My argument has nothing to do with race.
    Elyani likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.