The hidden cost of truebox

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xanadas, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Xanadas Augur

Was thinking today - has anyone run the numbers on running multiple computers to truebox. It's actually not trivial...

To make the math simple, let's say a computer uses 250 watts while running. If you left the computer on for 12 hours, that's 3 kilowatt hours per day per machine. Let's say you want to 3 box. That's now 9 kilowatt hours per day. Average price of electricity per kilowatt hours is about 13 cents and can go higher during hot months. At 13 cents, that's $1.17 per day, $35.10 per 30 days. Not insignificant to anyone financially conscious. Leave your computers on 24 hours (like many do)? Go ahead and double the above number. Starting to sound less attractive now, isn't it? Maybe allowing boxing on 1 computer isn't such a bad thing after all...
  2. Machentoo Augur

Environmental impact, too, to all that extra electricity use. Trruebox is the least green policy any video game company has ever come up with.
    code-zero likes this.
  3. Darkhain Elder

But people already boxing on separate PCs, will still box those PCs with even more on each.
  4. Elyani Augur

I don't think anyone at DBG or even non-boxers care. I agree, it does cost me a lot more financially when I box, but that is my own personal issue and aside from me no one cares how much it costs me, especially those who oppose a non-truebox server. Even as a boxer, who really wants a non-truebox server, I still believe that if you cannot afford to run multiple machines because it cuts too deeply into your personal finances or are heavily environmentally conscious, then you probably shouldn't be boxing (especially on a true box server).

And like most companies, DBG doesn't really care about the environmental impact nor how much you spend outside of their product to make their product useful to you, either.

I am not saying I disagree with you. But using this isn't going to get any sympathy from the anti-box community (in fact it could garner the opposite) or from Daybreak.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

Have you ever seen those electronic dumps in mainland China? They're enormous.

And I guarantee you, if you see them you will find dozens or hundreds of people working in them at every hour of the day. You "go green" and those people are out of jobs. Know what their next job prospect looks like? Yeah, me neither. That's the end of the road for them.

Have that on your conscious as you "go green."
  6. Numiko Augur

You can have them Bit Coin mining when you are not playing EQ to recoup the costs! :p
  7. Ceffener Augur

Size of powe supply is not equal to your usage.
    Choosing to leave your computer on 24/7 (theoretically using 250 watt/hr while doing nothing...it’s not) is a personal choice. Hibernation/Sleep/Powerbutton, they are all there.
    Running multiple boxing per machine will increase the electricity usage of said machine also.

And no one cares about your electricity cost to play.
  8. Elyani Augur

Maybe. I personally wouldn't. Boxing multiple accounts on separate computers is a pain in the butt. With a single account per computer you have the advantage of seeing all characters at all times but you have to use multiple keyboards and mice to control them. With a single computer for multiple accounts you have the advantage of using a single keyboard but you have to alt-tab to control the characters. But using multiple pc's with multiple characters (unless you're using software, which we shouldn't be advocating for, and I am not) means you have to alt-tab on different computers and cannot see all characters at once. It's yucky. Unless you have one PC that only has 1 char and the other has multiples, it just would be a craptastic time. If I didn't need to use multiple computers to box, I wouldn't. :p
  9. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

IDK about you guys but if It wasn't for truebox then my apartment would be frigid in the winter cause my landlord bought the cheapest heaters that dollar general had.

Summer though...
    [IMG]

I'm reusing this image to farm likes dont @ me.
    Machentoo and DeseanJackson like this.
  10. Elyani Augur

@Bobbypick Hahaha took me a minute to realize he had kronos in his eyes. Then I laughed much.
  11. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Use some Intel Nucs, around 50w - 60w on load
    Even if you paid $0.20 kwh
    Even if I kept 5 of these on for 12 hours (hardcore)
    $20 extra a month. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking anyone that is currently playing EQ is 30+ and beyond and that $20 a month does not put them into a financial burden. If it does, maybe it's time to consider working harder to find a better opportunity for a career path than worry about boxing / not boxing in this video game.

Perhaps turn off your PCs instead of running them 24/7.
    Ishbu and Herodotus like this.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

Let's stop pretending like when we go AFK the krono farming stops.
  13. Elyani Augur

True dat. It's actually funny, when I was younger and had less money I ran my pcs 24/7/365. But as got older and made more it's like "turn that crap off if you're gonna go make dinner!"
  14. Jadefox Augur

Nah.
    A serious environmentalist would Stop. Playing. Video. Games.

--Jade burns some trees to power the PC
  15. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Contact your senator, need to get the US government involved. Truebox is speeding up global warming to the point the world is gonna end in 12 years if we don't address this problem. Cap and trade is the only solution.

Inb4 science denying boxer haters
    code-zero likes this.
  16. code-zero Augur

Revoking TrueBox for environmental concerns would be pretty sweet if you ask me
  17. Sethiroth Augur

Pretty sure everyone is aware of their own electricity bill, and are fine with it. I’m Not sure what you were hoping to achieve with this post.
  18. Garwin Lorekeeper

You make a good point, maybe they should just shut it all down. It's been 20 years, that's a pretty good run. DBG it's time to put this dog out of its misery.
  19. HoodenShuklak Augur

20. Sterling-Silverfox Elder

Charge carbon credits per box. Where is Al Gore when you need him.