Selo and Mangler Progression Servers - Coming March 16, 2019!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roxxlyy, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obblivious New Member

If selos is the casual server and starting at luclin then the 1 month unlock should be more like 4 months till pop then go to 1 month to give time to do stuff. I like everything else. Of course all the hardcore peeps don't want the casual server changed now bc it's setup as a race server. I think you should keep selos and call it the hardcore/race server.

Mangler is just mangled up. 3 month unlocks for classic kunark velios luclin again is just to long. I would love to see 1 month unlocks up to luclin. Then switch to 3 months for big xpacs, 2 for small ones. And the xp rate should be the same as selos. People don't find grinding 4 times longer to be hardcore at all it's just tedious. Everyone likes to level alts.

Or keep selos and make a team pvp server like old vallon/tallon zek servers. I don't know what would be more fun the pvp server or the outcry of complaining that would follow =).

I hope something is changed up a bit, but looking forward to a new start again either way. Thanks for the new servers.
  2. Holyreptar New Member

I hate to say it I was so excited to come back to EQ again with the casual TLP announcement. I don't have as much time to play as I used to and being able to play through EQs expacs was great.
    I played on coirnav and loved it but honestly burnt myself out because I couldn't balance the time commitment.

I 2nd everyone saying give manglar the same rulesets as selos with 3 month unlocks, faster exp, spawns and all that. You will have a lifetime subscriber again. Please make these changes.

Selos is a hardcore server. I played hardcore on coirnav and barely hit max level before all the expac drops and really don't want to be doing that again. Its not fun. I would like to be able to enjoy being max level during expansions for a while.

If these TLPs stay the same then I will not be resubbing again sadly
  3. Tyranel New Member

Hello, I think everything has been said but I want to add my stone.

See how hardcore guilds prepare to jump on selo! As it is now its the hc server.

Make mangler fast xp and better named spawn and you have the casual I would sign in. Beginning in luclin is ok but I fear to miss what epics 1.0 bring to the game.

Please change what you intended to do at first and make a perfect casual server

Thanks
  4. James Fumble New Member

I too was looking forward to the new ultra-casual server and is disappointed by the suggested ruleset. I am a casual player. I like to group with friends, play around on alts, box now and then, but most of all I enjoy raiding in EverQuest. A server where casual players can get together and actually raid - without needing a full raid force - would be my most valued server-characteristic. So, instead of pointing out what I don't like about the Selo server I will list what I think the perfect ruleset for an ultra-casual server should look like.
    • Increased xp, faction, spawnrate for rare mobs and ground items
    • FV item rules.
    • Non-True box.
    • Expansions unlock after 8/12 weeks or longer.
    • Easier raid bosses aimed at 2-4 groups of casual players ("Simply" invert and tweak the Mitigation of the Mighty buff)
    • Remove or significantly lower the raid lockout timers. Let us decide when/what we want to raid, when we have the time to raid.
    • All raids accessible through Agent of Change NPCs (to avoid someone blocking progression)
    I hope the ruleset for Selo has not been locked down just yet, and that the devs will include the casual raider when designing the ultra-casual server.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd aslo add to the list
    All zones unlocked at release
    No progression needed to raid for later expansions, no flags or keys etc.
  6. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Think of it this way: If you did FV type no drop to tradeable when selos grew up you could always merge with FV. It's kind of apples to apples.. ++ exp with ++ loot rules....to the same with FV. Think it forward fellas :D
  7. Wood New Member

8 weeks. No motm no keys required
  8. Zephiron Elder

Just ringing in. Neither of the two servers are designed well for the audience they are to be received by. I don't believe Mangler is liked but by a very small populous. Its seems Selos is beloved by the hardcore players, I might even throw my hat into that server for a short time, but guilds will fall behind with that schedule and only those with immense playtime will survive past the first few releases. Rethink Mangler for casuals. More along the lines of 12 week releases, same xp as Selos and ruleset, maybe throw in FV trade and I promise you won't hear many complaints from casuals. Not even much tweaking if you leave out FV trade, not sure what that entails. Just try and make this a fair deal for all. Most hardcore players are plenty happy with Selos so keep it as is. Just tweak Mangler to something near 12 weeks+ releases, start from original/kunark era as not to skip epics, increased xp, drops, rares. I mean, you hit a homerun with Selos for a good majority of people who can dedicate hours on end of playtime. Now knock it out of the park once more the majority of causals with the mangled other server.
    Jedipokey likes this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Brekt has the same rules doesn't it?

Might be better to merge with that.
  10. KingBIng New Member

I'm really excited to play on Selos. As someone who played from the start and started back up a few months ago Selos sounds perfect. I enjoy the live servers but I do not like the 10 boxed toons sitting in POK or the full boxed group. Definitely takes away the immersion. I understand the mindset of many people that play mmorpgs is "GET TO THE END THE FASTEST AND GET THE BEST ITEMS THE FASTEST." I understand its a race for many people. I boxed on FV for a few months and just ended up getting engulfed. I stopped playing as the game just didn't feel the same playing 3 toons, maniging the boxes, gear, etc as playing one character....my avatar.

I enjoyed the struggle of EQ, I enjoyed not being able to always find people to play with, struggling to solo....that made the world feel more real. I enjoyed eventually finding a group of people to play with and fighting harder things. I enjoyed the calming time of the grind, the music, the scenery. I loved trying hard to find enough people to kill the bigger targets...made it feel more real.

EQ is still going strong where countless other games have died out. So regardless if you are complaining or praising...you are keeping EQ alive!! Thank you complainers and praises. I love EQ...and hate the Luclin models more than anything on this earth.
  11. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

+1 for the 1-month unlocks on Selos! Leave them be!

-1 for Truebox on Selos! Truebox is lame sauce.

While I see that a lot of people are upset about the fast unlocks, they seem to be overlooking some very important points:
    • They can play slowed down EQ on any of the existing TLP servers, or even on Mangler.
    • They can play on Selos at any pace they want to! Only their own mindset makes them think that the unlocks have any effect on them at all.
    If all of you really want to play slowed-down EQ, then join up and form a guild and play at whatever speed you want. But let the rest of us FINALLY have one fast-paced server. Please. Any competition is in your own head, and if you wanted to compete, you would play more (play-time is the only real defining quality of a "competitive" EQ player).

There has been a lot of alarm and complaints about the fast unlocks, but I don't think I saw any actual reasons. What, exactly, do the fast-unlocks do to ruin your playtime? If it comes down to not having people to play with, consider the possibility that nobody is there to play with because they all moved on. That will happen no matter how slow you make the unlocks or the exp.

I am sincere in my curiosity about the actual negative impacts of faster unlocks, as they relate to "casual players". Please list them, and maybe I'll change my mind!
  12. Arnuphis New Member

Firstly thanks for planning to add servers to celebrate EQ's 20th anniversary. I was here at the start and am very interested in returning to play. However I am disappointed by the planned set up of the servers. The Ultra Casual one is not what I would describe as a server for that type of player such as myself. You know the ones who don't have the spare time they had 20 years ago. The ones with full time jobs, families and other responsibilities.The other one just sounds like torture. Why not just throw in corpse runs again for good measure?

I must admit I was hoping for a 'classic only' server with accelerated xp or one with very slow (12 month) content unlocks. That would be perfect for people who may only have a couple of hours a day to play and who want to still find groups. People who also like to play alts and too and not feel pressured to race through content with one character.EQ for me was classic EQ. That's where all my fondest memories are. I left around Velious and returned around LDoN for a short spell but really didn't get into the newer zones as much.

I'm not into boxing and believe there are plenty of other servers already for those who do so I support the Truebox model. To each their own but it would be nice to play with a group of myself and five other individuals.

So my choice of 'Ultra Casual' server would be as follows:
    Classic EQ forever or very slow unlocks (12 months)
    Increased XP (and a boosted multiplier based on group size)
    Possible Merc Option (I understand that may be hard to put in classic)
    TrueBox
    Increased Rare Drops
    Decreased lockout timers.
    Monthly GM hosted events.

I'd glad pay $30/month for a server like that. Call me mad but I just want to celebrate 20 years of EQ with a server all about the classic EQ.

Thanks for reading.
    Kattnez and Jedipokey like this.
  13. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

As a side note, I think everybody (including DBG) needs to unclench and forget about the terms "hardcore" and "casual". Getting hung-up on two terms that are vague and subjective is silly. Just read the rulesets for the two servers and pick the one you want.

@DBG - If you really believe that there are enough people complaining about the unlocks on Selos that you would consider changing Selos, why not make the changes to Mangler instead?

Please let us have a fast-unlock server. Are there really that many players that want an even slower Coirnav server (for the second year in a row)? Because that's all Mangler seems to be:

14. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Just a note to all the people that believe slower unlocks and/or slower XP means that they will have more people to play with:

That's not how it works.
  15. PrinceGanymede New Member

Apologies in advance for wall of text!

I would consider myself a casual player, and I really don't think either of these servers are for me. The one month unlocks just mean that people with less playtime will fall further and further behind, while people with more playtime will enjoy the decreased lockouts to gear up and tackle raid content. A lot of people are making the argument of "Well, just play at your own pace and don't worry about competing!" for Selo's, but well, if it's being aimed for casuals, and casuals need to take more time, why make the unlocks go so fast? Additionally, it'd be nice to have some sort of frame of reference for the XP bonus. How fast is it to level up from 1 - 4 on Agnarr, Coirnav, and Selo's? Or 1 - 8?

Personally, this is what I would want from an "Ultra Casual" TLP:
    • Start on Kunark - access to Iksar right at the beginning would be great, and having more content to do than just the Classic end-game. Classic end-game is super boring.
    • Increased XP (Agnarr or Better), Rare Spawn, Faction mod
    • Increased ground spawn timer (looking at you, VP key!)
    • Decreased lockout timer
    • Increased Raid Boss drops (if a Boss drops 4 items, make it drop 5 or 6)
    • Pre-nerf drops for the life of the server - no missing out on things like Guise, Fungus Staff, Circlet of Shadows, etc.
    • 12 week unlocks but release like-era expansions at once - LoY/LDoN and GoD/OoW drop at the same time.
    • I can take it or leave it with FV loot ruleset.
    • I'm fine with True-box, but maybe allow 2-box?
    This to me feels super casual. It would let people who work and have families to still have the ability to try to catch up and raid if they want to. I have a lot of friends who never got to raid in classic through PoP, and would love to do some of those in-era, but it's too hard with their work/life schedules on current TLP rulesets. An "Ultra Casual" server should be about making all of the content more accessible to everyone.
    As for Hardcore... Slower xp and higher death penalty isn't really enough of an incentive, I think. There's not enough reward for the risk. Maybe consider some of the following for Hardcore:
    • No open-world Raid Bosses. Doesn't include minis (like the ones needed for some Epic pieces), just the big kahunas.
    • No Rez inside AoC instances during an active encounter. Make damn sure you can kill the boss. If there's multiple boss encounters, you can rez if there's no active encounter.
    • One-shot at Raid Boss, that's it. Boss will despawn if it wipes raid. For raids with multiple bosses, it will despawn the other encounters. No, seriously, make damn sure you can kill the boss.
    • Raid Bosses drop more loot - since the encounters are harder, there should be more reward.
    • Make non-quest loot No Drop. This one I'm iffy about, because what about the server economy? People do already sell LR for things like Planar Gear rots, but this makes every piece of gear you have more of an achievement. It would also still allow for some kind of twinking. Feel free to disregard this one.
    • Corpse Runs (no Shadowrest) - since people have been asking for this to be a thing forever and ever.
    • Server First Rewards - don't know how to handle this one. Maybe flag people who were involved with a Server First on boss kill and some other achievements, and give them some kind of token that can be exchanged for a piece of No Drop class-restricted loot from a special vendor? This incentivises going after Raid Bosses earlier despite the risks above.
    • Era Achievement Rewards - give players rewards for things like, taking out X boss the most times.
    This will make Raid Boss kills more meaningful, and also be more punishing to fit the "Hardcore" moniker better. Otherwise, it's just a worse version of Coirnav. There's nothing hardcore about slower xp and higher death penalty.
    Like I said, I'm not really a hardcore player, but that being said, I'd much rather start in Classic (or Kunark!) than in Luclin, since I really want to experience EQ from the start with my friends, not after the most classic expansions are outdated.
    Mepps likes this.
  16. Gerhard New Member

I love the idea of the Selo server, I haven't played in a few years as I am tired of the original expansions but would love to come back starting in Luclin with fast unlocks to get into new content all the time, one month works great for me or two months max for level increase expansions I could handle but anymore would be too much. I do agree it shouldn't necessarily be called a "casual" server but "fast" server does it justice. I don't think those complaining about the structure of this server are understanding the increased xp rate as leveling will not be a big deal nor is anyone forced to move onto the new content as it releases if themselves or their guild is not geared enough to move on! Keep it as is!!!
  17. taliefer Augur

i was just hoping for something a bit more "outside the box" than mostly exp rates and unlock timers being adjusted.

its the 20th anniversary of everquest, if there was ever a chance to see something truly unique in a new server, youd think this would be the time. beastlords/zerks available at the start from classic would be my favorite thing, FV style loot, re-integration of low level spells added throughout the years. just something different.

Selo hits on this a little, but mostly just because it starts at luclin. the other stuff is just keeping event style bonuses active at all times.
  18. Girth-Matters Lorekeeper

Suggestion from a long-time TLP player:

Selos is a pretty dang good server rule set, but not for casuals as you listed. This is the hardcore server based on the fast progression and more raiding through shorter lockouts. The only changes I'd recommend are making it a 6 week unlock instead of 4, and adding FV loot rules to balance out the True Box aspect. With content going this fast, it allows people to gear apps and alts easier, it makes for a healthier economy, and helps people that struggle to make money because they picked a class that's bad at soloing. It's also about time for a FV TLP. People have been clamoring for it for years. Our guild already has a significant portion of friends that are declining to play either server unless FV rules are implemented this round. Please consider this. It will be a huge boon to the population of the server for years to come.

Mangler rule set is terrible though. Start over on Mangler rule set and make an actual casual server. Fast XP, not slower. 3-4 month unlock. No sped up raiding lockouts. No true box because a lot of casual players like to box a couple chars and play alone. Start in Classic.

No server ever should have bigger death XP penalties. This is a horrible horrible idea; especially with all the unavoidable deaths that tanks must eat in early content raids. A single tank can eat a dozen death touches in a raid in Sky. Scrap this idea forever please.
    ForumBoss, Jedipokey, chumpy and 3 others like this.
  19. 6rout Lorekeeper

On and off EQ player since 1999 ranging everywhere from a casual, mostly solo player to hardcore batphone raider. I want to come back for yet another TLP and here's what I would like to see in a server:

Selo increased exp rate: good. Don't have the time or inclination these days to grind for weeks on end for a few levels.

Selo starting in Luclin: bad. A major part of the reason for TLP is getting to start at square one classic again.

Death penalty: don't care either way, if the exp rate is reasonable

Expansion unlocks: 3 months on Agnarr felt real long. 1 month on Selo sounds real short. I think about 6-8 weeks is a good spot.

Truebox: GOOD. This is an MMO, multiplayer is an integral part of that. I'd love to see it go so far as 1 account per IP address, but I know that would lose a lot of people and I think truebox, while there are certainly those that circumvent it, is a good compromise to that.

No limited items on Selo (rubicite, guise, etc): Makes me kind of sad, but ultimately not a dealbraker.

Mangler exp rate: GARBAGE. Garbage. This server is dead in the water.

FV ruleset: Never been a fan. NO DROP items add a certain something to the game that I don't think should be taken away.

As it stands now, I will probably play on Selo for at least a few months until GoD/OoW unlocks, which I never much cared for.
  20. Zephiron Elder

Play on test, you might be amazed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.