Selo and Mangler Progression Servers - Coming March 16, 2019!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roxxlyy, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahaman Augur

Selos (Ultra Casual): Calling this an "ultra casual" server and given the ruleset, my guess is that this isn't meant as a TLP server per se, but as a vehicle for ultra casuals to have a chance to have groups (not raids) with people as they level to max level over the next two years. It's a shuttle server to max level for the ultra casual.

Mangler (Hardcore): The only thing hardcore about this server is the "pain". There is no hardcore "goal" or "reward" for this server. As such, this server is just meant to be for the masochist type of player. They exist, but that is catering to a very, very niche group.

Did I guess right on the Devs' group thoughts?

Ironically, the hardcore raiders and racers, which I would guess are a bigger group, will likely play on the 1-month unlock server as that is the closest thing going to racing (just to keep up with raiding in era).

Even more ironically....

If Selos had an unlock of "beat the expansion plus two weeks" rate (plus a leader board), I'd wager you'd have had a near perfect "hardcore" server.

If Mangler were Free To Play (with in game purchase to increase XP rate, or faster XP rate with subscription), I'd wager you'd have had a near perfect "ultra casual" server. With FTP, I'd give it slightly longer unlocks too. It would have been a server that works to counter vanilla .... this summer.
  2. Draqonslayer New Member

Selo is not Casual, we want slower unlocks to enjoy it and faster xp so we can still work and have family time, I don't know if its just me but im not sure how hard that is too understand by now smh
  3. Draqonslayer New Member

I wouldn't mind you having Classic and Kunark both open on same day for the casual server, so just Make Mangler Faster xp with the longer lockouts 3 to 6 months and boom our casual server is done
    Evade likes this.
  4. Rocksolid New Member

ENOUGH with the true box servers. I understand that you're a business, but you're makin' it impossible for folks who can only afford one computer to play these new servers. The elite boxers don't need anybody but their own toons, thus, leavin' everybody else to fend for themselves instead of givin' more people the option of utilizing other toons to fill out a group. Please quit makin' EQ harder for us folks. We pay our money too. We just don't have the same resources that others do. Thank you.
  5. Appren Gnomercy

Disappointed - I hoped Selo would be something for me, decently fast XP, and plenty of time between expansions. Nothing casual about this, I doubt I'll be renewing to try either of these
    Barton and Evade like this.
  6. Lucarius New Member

Guess I'll stay on Agnarr for now.
    If this is the best Daybreak can come up with for both EQ and EQ2...I truly regret buying lifetime sub.
  7. GrandOpener Elder

I like the intent of the Selo server, but I have some critiques.
    "Fast" and "casual" aren't always the same. Casual players typically have lower play time, so they want to make efficient/fun use of that time. We don't necessarily need more progress per day of real time--we need more progress per hour of play time to stay engaged.

This is a good idea. This is something that will attract casual players.
    But this is a bit of a miss. You seem to be offering casual players the opportunity to put in more play time? That's not what most of us want. You seem to be setting up an expectation of more frequent raiding with this change--that's the opposite of casual in most players' minds. Reconsider this feature carefully.
    Note: if you are attempting to help casual players gear up faster, don't give them the "opportunity" to raid more. Just give them more loot. For example, keep the same instance lockouts as normal, but all instance bosses drop double their normal loot tables.
    These are more good changes for a casual server.
    I guess you are trying to make the server more casual-friendly by granting immediate access to the Nexus spires for transportation? Or access to Paludal? Or access to Iksar and Vah Shir? None of those are worth skipping two of the most interesting expansions in EQ history.
    My recommendation: do the normal progression from the beginning, but have PoK and PoK stones available on day one. Consider allowing all modern race/class combinations, with out-of-era races originally spawning in PoK. Classic zones like Crushbone and Unrest are perfectly good leveling spots for a beginning TLP, and nothing else is needed there.
    I understand that you want to get to PoP as quickly as possible, for obvious and good reasons. But this unlock schedule is madness. Casual players will not even get to max level for most expansions.

Overall you've got a server progressing at breakneck speed and hinting that players should raid more often than normal. Increased XP notwithstanding, this is a pretty darn hardcore rule set. The other ideas are good though, so if you slow the unlocks and reconsider the increased instance use, you could have a winner here.

Also, both of these ideas--super fast unlocks and increased instance use--are worth considering for the "hardcore" server.
  8. Violentine New Member

Please please please consider either A) changing Selo expansion unlock time to two months or B) Increase exp rate on Mangler.... I can't tell you how disappointed I am reading the ruleset of both of these servers. I want to play neither of them. I've been hanging on for dear life on Agnarr waiting for these new TLPs so save me from quitting EQ all together..now I don't know what to do :(
  9. Deso New Member

Selo is perfect! Please don’t change it!
    Gerhard likes this.
  10. Malleus Aurum New Member

/shrug 2 new progression servers, neither RED
    Tomar likes this.
  11. Malleus Aurum New Member

What? would fill any TRL, witA spite be --->BOSS<-- Lock, where IF yA guild not take dow Da Boss yas don't "Progress"
  12. internalprime8 Journeyman

Thank you for acknowledging the feedback. I just re-subbed yesterday after years away because I would like to check out these new servers but as a casual player, I wholeheartedly agree with the need for longer windows between expansion unlocks on the "casual" server.
  13. Beardsy Elder

Please for the love of god stop listening to these noobs. This is EXACTLY how a new server should run.

Casuals can play at THEIR pace. Allowing those of us who are semi-hardcore continue to plow through content at OUR pace. I'd LOVE to raid every damn night and this gives us the opportunity.

Nevermind the people complaining about 1 month unlocks. This sets a pace for EVERYONE to play and their own pace. You'll have the hardcores raiding 12 hours a day, you'll have the semi-hardcores raiding damn near every night, and you'll have the casuals raiding a couple days a week.

You know what would be even better? Releasing at Gates of Discord right off the bat so we can actually start with a damn berserker. I know a handful of people don't even want to re-do another server because that's what they were waiting for on Coirnav.

Or even releasing on LDoN. It would give us an enormous amount of group content and 1 month away from zerkers too.

Of course you do what you need to in order for your company to make profits, because at the end of the day the profits are what allow us to keep playing our favourite game. I just think the people complaining "I'm a parent I don't have time for 1 month unlocks" Are the last people to take advice from when it comes to the pace of a server.
    NameAlreadyInUse and code-zero like this.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think you have hit the Selos definition head on.
  15. Evade Augur

Just give Mangler Selo's exp and spawn rates, and casuals will have a server to call home. Your Selo server... well it'll be dead in a few months. Hardcore players dont like playing with only hardcore players. No one to show their phat loots too since the hardcore player standing next to him has the same gear
  16. Beardsy Elder

Ah screw it. Just merge Agnarr with Coirnav once Coirnav hits GoD. It'll solve everyone's problems.
  17. Sethiroth Augur

Or a team of trained circus monkeys. Either would do a better job.
  18. Sethiroth Augur

Enjoy it while it lasts, within a few month it’ll be dead like most of the live servers
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Starting in Luclin does not prevent you playing in EQ, Kunar or Velious, what it does give us is another 2 starting citys and 2 leveling paths, without having to wait another 3 - 6 months. The only real shame it that bezerkers are not available as well.

I for one am looking forward to being able to start on a new server as a Vah Shir. I'm just torn as to class.
  20. Sethiroth Augur

For hardcore raiders, yes it’s perfect.
    TheOrginalSlaade likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.