Selo and Mangler Progression Servers - Coming March 16, 2019!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roxxlyy, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reviction New Member

Selo Server = 100% disappointment.

I had to highlight this in red to counter the above poster's response. I would not want an employee scanning these posts for feedback and let that one be what catches their eyes. One would think they are either being sarcastic, or they are a Daybreak affiliate in some way. I take no chances, in case either is wrong.

As a player that left during Gates of Discord so many years ago, I have wanted to play through all the expansions casually. I had a lot of hope invested in this new server. Even Phinigel moved too quickly for a lot of people, myself included. People want to level alts, do the raids, and not feel rushed. Selo server, as it stands, is rushing its players.

I created this account today so that I could cast my feedback among the clear majority that this server rule set is an unfavorable one. Keep the exp rate as high as you planned, but make sure it is a three or six month expansion rotation.

The point of a casual server is not to get to the next expansion as quickly as possible. It is so that people whom are busy and cannot play frequently get to explore the game as it unfolds, at a much slower pace. They need the boosted exp rate so that they can explore all the alts they wanted to level so long ago, and experience each expansion with those alts. They want to raid with those same characters.

Please reconsider Selo's rule set. Keep the exp rate higher than Pinigel, and keep the expansion rotation at three months, or preferably six months.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my response.
  2. Imdead Augur

1 month expansion unlocks is not casual friendly. Everything about Selos sounds great but I can't possibly keep up with 1 month unlocks as a casual. Really wish this was at minimum 2 if not 3 month unlocks. That would be my dream. Very disappointed.
  3. Aurastrider Augur

As a non TLP player and someone who has no actual interest in either server outside of the overall health and prosperity of the game I think you guys need to reconsider this and chalk it up to a typo.

Switch the unlock times on these servers otherwise one server is just a fast paced race to the finish (not casual) and the other is a slow death march with harsh penalties which most of your highly skilled players are going to laugh at (not hardcore). As someone else posted several moons ago the algorithm which I think is rather fitting for determining Hardcore and casual and it is as follows.

Minimum<------------>Maximum (playing time)
    Minimum<------------>Maximum (Effort)

Your true casuals are going to fall near the minimum side of the playing time scale while your true hardcore players are going to fall on the maximum end. From here you have effort or accomplishments which is where we get a lot of variance in the community.

Neither server is kind on the time scale side so neither really is fit for a casual player. Outside of the xp grind itself there is no increased effort to actually meet the demands of a true hardcore who wants something hardcore. In the future you might want to consider using a similar scale when promoting hardcore and casual and keep things like this in mind.
  4. Kalamir Journeyman

Dear Daybreak,

Did you guys do ANYTHING to poll what players want? Or did you guys throw darts at ideas on a wall to come up with these? You had a 50/50 shot to get one right. You failed on both?

Also, please take server naming rights away from whomever picked "Mangler". Most people don't even remember that wolf exists, let alone see it as a notable name in the EQ universe. Remember when you guys used to use polls for things like this? Yeah, me too...
  5. The Hated One Augur

Truebox = non starter. I did phinny. I dont want to box on that many computers again. It's just a stupid waste of time and $$'s. Even my kids thought it was insane to put that much effort into a 20 year old game.
    Yimin likes this.
  6. Tmerz New Member

How is 1 month unlocks casual? I would like DB's definition of casual gamer. Huge amounts of time invested to stay current with Selos is not it. I hope they rethink this server before release.
    Barton and Yimin like this.
  7. Liliun New Member

I am very dissapointed. Neither server sounds casual friendly at all, but rather a different type of hardcore. Super fast xp, I guess, but a lot of casual players don't consider lightening fast xp synonymous with "casual", and unlocking content once a month....just /sigh. I'd play on the "hardcore" server, but I have no interest in logging in during the couple of hours I get in the evening to slowly chip away at the xp bar, only to get left behind once the new content gets released. I guess I'll just make a toon on the current TLP and see if I like it. If not, easy enough to cancel the subscription.
    Barton and Yimin like this.
  8. Ryeson New Member

Here is an idea DBG that you might consider...
    Have the casual server expansions unlock once a year. Just like 20 years ago.
    Have the hardcore server expansions unlock as soon as someone beats the current expansion. Let them fight it out. No rules, anything goes with no consequence from DBG. Players must read and sign consent form, so when they get butt hurt they can not cry about it.
    Jedipokey and Yimin like this.
  9. Girth-Matters Lorekeeper

Is this announcement a joke? Seriously. How can DBG continue to surprise me with bad decision after bad decision? At some point, I need to stop telling myself that something might change.

The whole EQ decision making team should be replaced with people that care about what they do for a living.
    Kattnez, Barton and Yimin like this.
  10. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Very unimaginative. Selos should be more like FV with item no drop removed.
    Kattnez and Yimin like this.
  11. Evade Augur

Not happy with these choices. Please rename Selo the hardcore server and give Mangler the same exp and rare spawn bonuses. I want to start in classic and I want a long unlock window
    Shadowpaws2003 likes this.
  12. Evade Augur

Exactly this. Damn it, I subbed for the first time in 18 years when I heard of this upcoming casual server. This is basically the exact opposite of what I was hoping for. Well off to cancel my sub now
  13. Islapped New Member

Please, Daybreak, listen to the consistent feedback you are getting here. Selo is a total miss with this rule set! Everything about Selo would be fine EXCEPT you cannot have that fast of expansion unlock schedule. There is nothing casual about that schedule. It is going to result in a frantic rush to keep up with content and combining that with shorter DZ lockouts is going to make the gameplay something intolerable and way too time intensive. Absent that time investment, the content will outrun the casual player, we will find ourselves in empty zones, and when mercs open, the few people still on the server who couldn't keep up will rarely group. You need to understand the magnitude of this mistake. At the very least you need an unlock schedule on the order of 8 weeks.

The server you thought was hardcore (Mangler) is not even differentiated from Coirnav sufficient to be worth the move. Coir xp was barely okay, making it slower and having essentially the same rule set is another miss. The miss is even more monumental considering you propose to make your "casual" server the most hardcore server in the history of progression.

Both of your 20 year celebration servers will be duds if you don't rethink this. How could you get this so wrong? You say 20-year is about the players...ask them what they want via a poll. Or listen to threads like this. Be humble enough to fix this before you launch, please. No one will fault you for recognizing the community doesn't like this idea and adjusting. Everyone will fault you for digging in and proceeding with an ill-advised launch.
  14. Yimin Augur

Wish one of these I could of taken my 110 , so for that reason not interested !

YiMin
    Kattnez likes this.
  15. Trox2010 Augur

Please consider relabeling Selo to "Hardcore Server" and change Mangler to "Casual Server' giving it the same XP, Drop, and Raidlock out rates as Selo.
  16. Barton The Mischievous

Chiming in as well ultra casual is not 1 month unlocks. Most ultra casual players have a hard time maxing out even with 12 week unlocks
    Shadowpaws2003 likes this.
  17. Roxxlyy Augur

There has been a lot of feedback coming in today, and the team is aware and reviewing it.
  18. Bolten_DA Augur

19. Anardio2 New Member

I have a group of 5 friends(6 of us total) who were looking forward to this next progression server coming out. We are pretty disappointed.

I'm going to be like Goldilocks here
    The 1 month part on the "casual" server is pretty awful in that it is too fast. I think we were also hoping it would have started from the beginning but starting at Luclin isn't that bad I suppose.

The other server is a bit too slow at 3 months as it will start to drag slowly, apparently in the later expansions.

2 months would be juuuust right.
    The wind was taken out of our sails and now we are pondering other games to play.
    We'll keep an eye out here and see if anything changes. Otherwise, its been fun Everquest.
    Koggar.Bertoxxulous and Yimin like this.
  20. Jedipokey The Devs have become better at Apathy! (380)

I like this idea...coming from a dad with a job and kids....as casual as it gets.
    Shadowpaws2003 and Kalamir like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.