DO NOT start new TLPs in Classic!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Phinius, Jan 25, 2019.

1. TimeBreak Elder

Then go play on Agnarr and quit wasting our time here...............
    Thalliius likes this.
  2. LittleBrumski Augur

Agreed, it should start with WotLK, or at least Morrowind
  3. revivin Journeyman

I'm shocked that so many people are anti classic, and even more so that those anti classic people think no one else wants classic. ever notice how the further the tlp servers get from classic the more people they lose!? if everyone wanted to start later then tlp server populations should be increasing in numbers the further they get not losing numbers xD

I will whoever admit that not every new server needs to be classic I cant remember if I read it here or on another thread but some guy posted how he would like to see a server that is 3-4month unlocks and 3-4 past pop the server just resets and over and over it goes. this would be pretty legit then you could make ALL the other servers whatever you wanted :)
  4. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

You think casual means bored and early quits. If that was the case no one over at DBG would have ever announced 2 servers. So your saying they looked at their data, saw casuals quit in 1 month and thought hey let's start an ultra-casual server to capture that 1 month revenue.....:rolleyes:

Think of it this way, they see ultra-casual and hardcore as 2 subsets with whatever data they have that conflict with each other causing some type of issues on the past / current TLP.

Now they want to test two groups on different rule-sets if this will give them more value or sustain it for a longer period. They aren't worried about which server dies, they are more worried about which group is viable for a longer period with less resources.

No casual I know quits after a month, I subbed a friend on agnaar from classic to end of luclin, played like than 10 hours a week, cost them a tiny amount of resource.

Enjoy classic I'm wagering that is the start for ultra casual server for sure.
    Start arguing for the hardcore server to start beyond that's your best bet.
    snailish and Crayon123 like this.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

My point was that "The vast majority of non Coirnav players are ready to do classic again" is a gross assumption.
  6. Quill Augur

The farther away you get from start, the more laborious it is to catch up. Has nothing at all to do with a desire to start in Classic, just most people view it as the easiest option for getting max level, particularly because there are only 50 of them.

And I thought Phinny was supposed to be dead by now? I was assured that absolutely nobody wanted to play the later xpacs because they suck.

Oops!

Generally, you naturally get attrition and the harder it is to get replacements, the quicker you'll drop off.

Also, the biggest nose dive for population is when Kunark hits and people escape that dumpster fire of an expansion.
  7. Barathrum Augur

Yaeh i never want to see classic-pop for any reason as in ERA content. What this person and a lot of the others do not realize is a lot of guilds fell off on phinny in the GOD-TDS and they want to get back to where they left off and doing classic-pop again is a big no no!(THE BURN OUT IS INSANE) The GoD-TSS ERA is a better ERA of EQ anyway then classic-pop! I am hoping my health improves so i am able to play when these servers drop! But starting in classic ill pass and wait for GOD to hit
    TheRedBandit likes this.
  8. Iyacc Augur

Is Fippy still around? Is that the one that got kinda self locked into an expansion because there aren't enough people left to trigger the unlock of the next one?

What if the Hardcore server was just a redirect into Fippy? You want Hardcore mode? Go save Fippy!!!
  9. Koshk Augur

Untrue.
    • Not everyone playing EQ today has experienced a Classic start.
    • Not everyone who joins the 20th Anniversary TLPs will have seen Classic.
    I started EQ late in 2000. Kunark was already out. Velious came out December 5th. By the time I saw level 60, we were in Luclin/PoP.

I had no idea TLP's were "a thing" until last autumn. Joined Coirnav in August, right before Velious.

I've never started in Classic, but would like to. And I see "new" EQ players joining Coirnav all the time, who haven't played EQ in the past 10-20 years. I've even seen a few true newbs, who are playing EQ for the very first time anywhere.

If the new TLPs don't start in Classic, I'll get over it. It's not a huge deal. But I think it would be fun to play from the very beginning.
    snailish and Barton like this.
  10. Quill Augur

I do understand where you're coming from, and as stated I don't mind *a* server start in Classic for those who want that Experience.

But there is no good reason to have BOTH servers start in Classic.
  11. Thalliius Augur

I feel like people want to just keep doing classic restarts because they're profiteers that have figured out a way to monopolize or exploit the early TLP economy. When that starts to dry up, a brand new classic start TLP is like the answer to their RMT prayers
  12. dmccollum Elder

Or they are like me and want to start from the beginning once. Not everyone has played all the TLPs already. There's really no reason to not start a new TLP from the start. If you don't want to play from the start, there are plenty of TLPs already at or near the expansion you want.
  13. Stagentti Augur

Suggest reading old threads to see why you're wrong.

Quill has made that statement numerous times and been shot down numerous times cause it's wrong.
  14. Quill Augur

Haven't been shot down once.. but then I don't fly fighter planes. I'll leave you with this quote:

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” -Upton Sinclair.
  15. Stagentti Augur

Step 1 - claim all people who want classic start are mass boxers or krono farmers

Step 2 - have numerous people reply to you that they do not fall into either bucket and why they want a classic start.

Yup. That's generally how it goes.
  16. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Who are these profiteers that you speak of?

I'm really curious as to what you consider a large amount of krono, and even if someone was to gain 500 krono per month that is still barely anything in the real world for the time spent in game....
  17. Biohazerd Lorekeeper

The only thing that will make a classic start tolerable is if they make a level 50 version of the anniversary content and its a raid zone. Something to spice up classic/kunark would be very welcome at this point.
  18. mark Augur

One of my fauvorites things to do his that rush from lvl 1 to 50 will it take me 5,4 ,or 3 days to get there or longer, i wouldent do it all the time but once a year its fun and also its never the same,depending on class and lvl you never know were youl end up.
  19. snailish Augur

^This.

People need to stop thinking/posting that these new servers are aimed at them specifically as I don't think the active playerbase, particularly those who post here a lot, are the targets. They already have our money.

Hardcore lost population = "Game is too easy now, I want to control the content and beat others" --how they do that, well that is a big question [I think Quarm-style incentives for competing].

Ultracasual lost population = a combination of "I only play until era X drops", "Classic is the only EQ", and "I have limited playtime and want more time to do the eras" --so easy to test this by offering a Phinny server with long unlocks.
  20. Stagentti Augur

Agree with everything you said. Also the "ultra casual" part seems to get ignored.

If you're already subbed and playing on another TLP (or subbed on Live) then they don't particularly care if the new TLP is for you, outside of obviously wanting a certain population #.

They want to grab people who are NOT subbed (aka not giving them money).

There are people who are subbed who will jump on the new TLP.

And DBG is betting (correctly in my opinion) that the vocal minority screaming for what they want are not going to quit their current TLP if the new one isn't what they wanted.

EDIT: as for your last point - they would need faster xp. People returning or wanting to try it out won't tolerate Phinny xp I don't think.
    snailish likes this.