luck gear

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by strongbus, Feb 10, 2019.

1. strongbus Augur

has anyone figured out how much luck increase dps? as in is the increase in dps worth say going from ros raid gear(all ts non vis and normal visable) to the TBL group stuff to get the luck to increase damage output?

and this is on a 110 necro with maxed out dps aa. just woundering how having a full set of TBL gear with luck would change the dps
  2. jeskola pheerie

3. Sancus Augur

Luck works in buckets of 10. The benefits of luck are constant within that range. That means having 1 luck is the same as having 9. Having 32 luck is the same as having 39.

With 1 to 9 luck, 45% of your critical hits are lucky critical hits. With any luck >=10, 50% of your critical hits are lucky critical hits. The critical damage added by luck is a random roll between a minimum and maximum crit amount as shown by the table:
    [IMG]

As an example, let's say you have a 400% crit damage modifier, cast a 10,000 damage nuke, and have no other modifiers. Normally it'd do 10,000 damage on a non-crit and 50,000 on a crit. With 50 luck, on a lucky crit, the minimum damage you could do would be 53,000, and the maximum would be 53,500. Any value between those values, inclusive of them, is possible.

The DPS Increase numbers are based on a Magician at a 100% crit rate. It varies significantly depending on crit rate.
    gotwar, yepmetoo and Tucoh like this.
  4. Yorag Journeyman

It is still not clear to me how the "luck" value functions when you have multiple items with various degrees of luck.
    I have a few items that are now 100% and couple with 75% and possibly one at 50%. Does the luck stack or accumulate, or once you have one item at 100% that is the maximum?
    I can't find anything on how this stat works.
  5. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

Friendly PSA luck works while fishing not just at the fishing table. Make sure you update your macro to include a 2nd auto inventory line of you'll stop with a 2nd fish in your cursor.
  6. Sancus Augur

Ignore the percentages and look at the actual value. Luck is additive, and you can see your total luck amount in the stats tab of your inventory under spell mods:
    [IMG]
    gotwar likes this.
  7. Nniki Augur

The percentage is in reference to the cap on luck for that particular item. 100% on an item means that item can no longer be upgraded to provide more luck. Otherwise, luck is just another additive stat across all your items.

[IMG]

Currently, all luck items except for the Fate's Accumulator charm aug have a cap of 5 on them (it caps at 10).

To take a cap of 5 as an example:
    1 = 0%
    2 = 25%
    3 = 50%
    4 = 75%
    5 = 100%
  8. svann Augur

And forage.
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  9. Morthakia Augur

Question as a non-raider: Do raid items always have 5 luck or do they use the same methodology as group gear? What about raid items purchased from the vendor (although everyone probably buys the EIMs and nothing else).
  10. Goodn Augur

Same methodology.... 0 to 5 luck.

Not sure about raid vendor, because you should be buying raid muhbis only with your coins.
  11. Morthakia Augur

Gotcha. I suspected this may create some issues for item distribution for guilds when I first heard about it in the beta preview. Are guilds handling loot distribution differently to account for people looking to increase luck versus gear upgrades / alts? Mostly just curious.
  12. Tucoh Augur

Thanks for crunching the numbers, I hadn't seen that table before this post.

As a general comment on luck, from reading between the lines during the beta discussion of it, it's possible that in future expansions the modest ~1% boost you get from fully maxing your gear's luck (as in, going from like, 30 luck to 60) might be much more significant in the future.

There's no promises on how gear is itemized in the future, but I can absolutely see making luck a primary driver. It'd be relatively easy to implement, itemize and give a nice logarithmic tail to power increases that would give high-playtime players something to do without much dev effort or consideration.
  13. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

It's something you see on a 5700 to 5800 item from TBL that adds a little something that wasn't there before. The items themselves on FV are very affordable and for that reason are nothing but a positive overall. You see the notations in the battle spam regarding the luck crits.
  14. Goodn Augur

GMM raids coming in a month or so are going to skew gear distribution (assuming the beta numbers on the gear didn't change) and make dkp a giant puzzle game. In some sense it already is because spell damage focuses are higher on visibles so you don't want to be waiting around for muhbises or coin to upgrade those 1-3 slots necessarily. But you do want to use muhbises eventually on armor/primary/secondary/bows before you even consider non-visibles (because of the random ts luck thing).

But right now, luck crushing should go after gearing mains and apps, but before alts (that's what we do). It will also help if your players know the above luck chart if they are bidding for pieces under 5 luck (our folks seem to know that 5 means I'm done with a slot so those are going higher).

...and for Tucoh, I thought the discussion on luck from Ngreth was more that the item values can increase (so next expansion we might see 6 to 10 luck items) rather than a change in the current percentages.
  15. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I'm so getting smacked by the nerf bat lol
  16. Thunderkiks Augur

Thank you so much. I thought I was going crazy when foraging with my ranger. I would forage, then drop the stuff into her inventory but after 2 mouse clicks would still have something on the cursor. I thought my mouse was starting to die on me not clicking properly anymore.

At least now I have an explanation.

It does lead to another question though. I thought luck only worked in the new expansion. I'm getting lucky splits and extra lucky (apparently) forages in old expansions.
  17. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Yes and no.

We also have distribution curves.

Group and raid items both are 1 to 5 luck (for items that have luck).
    But... group items use a normal bell curve, while raid items use a curve weighted to the high end. (more likely to get 4 or 5, than 1, 2, or 3)

In group content, you are most likely to get a 3. In raid content most likely to get a 4.
    Annastasya likes this.
  18. Ngreth Thergn Developer

you can only GAIN luck items in TBL (and later)

outside of that, luck is like any stat that works throughout the game.
    Annastasya and Thunderkiks like this.
  19. gnomeboss Augur

50 luck is abouuuuut 15 lucky forages per hour! i will have to try out fishing soonly and see if it's comparable.
  20. Goodn Augur

Thanks for the definitive follow up.

One more question - are same items in raid chest guaranteed to have the same luck or can they differ?

I could have sworn we had an early chest with two items with different luck...but I'm not sure now. The last two sets of doubles I know have been same luck.