DO NOT start new TLPs in Classic!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Phinius, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Silver-Crow Augur

For me TSS is the ideal start point.
    All races/classes are unlocked and it's the last expansion designed with levelling from level 1 in mind.
  2. Rounlin Best Pizza in Norrath!

I love Classic, if you want later era's go play live or another TLP.
    Barton likes this.
  3. TheRedBandit Elder

If you want classic, go play p99. It works both ways, my dude.
    TimeBreak and Quill like this.
  4. Quill Augur

Honestly, interesting idea for the Casual Server. I don't think they've ever tried to start in TSS, and TSS was basically designed as a place to restart.

As long as it has regular boxing and mercs, I could care less where it starts, as long as its post-PoP so you get the modern amenities like Bazaar and travel. Pretty much anyone can destroy the game from there in two-box on their own time, without having to go LFG. Or in other words.. they could play casually.
  5. likestobox Lorekeeper

I have a feeling that DB is going to come out of left field on the server rules and no one is going to be happy.
    Iyacc likes this.
  6. Stagentti Augur

Except P99 doesn't have a lot of the things the TLPs do. So it doesn't actually work both ways, my dude.
  7. TheRedBandit Elder

And other TLPs dont have the population in era that a fresh start there, or accelerated progression, would. That server IS classic. It's closer to classic than anything else available, so if you love classic, it certainly does work that way, my dude.
  8. Stagentti Augur

You got me.

When the guy you replied to said "I love classic" in a thread about TLPs starting in classic...he meant p99's version of classic and not the version on the past few TLPs.

How silly of me.
  9. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I only play classic to luclin somewhere, maybe a little of POP.

Never going to touch a server beyond those limits. I can count on 10 - 15 people in my same boat since they live off my krono....:p
    Jontrann likes this.
  10. TheRedBandit Elder

And likewise a progression server 18 months in is nothing like a server 3-6 months in. I feel like you missed the point that telling people to go play somewhere else different than what they want is a argument. I just thought i'd spell that out for you, just incase.
  11. Lowlife Lorekeeper

I'm not a coirnav player, never was. I want these to NOT be classic. I'm part of everyone too. This thread is about discussion on why NOT starting in classic would be AWESOME. So, that said, YOU'RE simply wrong.

See how opinions go? You say I'm wrong, I just say "no u" and there's no discussion.

What we CAN talk about is how epic it would be to have a highly populated server see the expansions past OoW. That's the main idea here I think, and I think others are understanding that idea too. If all those phinny people wanted to see classic so badly why didn't they go restart it on Agnarr and Coirnav? Probably because they played it on Fippy, Ragefire, and then Phinny again.
    Phinius likes this.
  12. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

The game in terms of leveling and gear just becomes much easier in later expansions.

• Bags get bigger and easier to find in later expansions.
      • Thus making DBG less profit on those bag sales.
    • Experience easier to level in later expansions, high levels = easier to PL lower levels
      • Less exp potions sold
    • Lots of people are unfamiliar with the game beyond a certain point
      • Less time they are subbed for the course of that server
    While classic might be boring for the folks who play (x) hours a day. For most people this game is merely nostalgic and they re-sub to just muck around until that nostalgia wears off.
    DBG just from a financial point of view would be crazy not to start in classic.
    What other rule sets they come up with who knows.
    Enjoy the upcoming ride it's starting at classic.
    Sethiroth and Renshu like this.
  13. yerm Augur

Bags are not more common early on unless you plan to start WAY in the future. Xp rate and level cap are arbitrary; they can slow or speed xp rate, and they can at least threaten to have GOD at 70, so there is nothing difficult on their end about a velious start with slow xp and level 50 cap at the outset. Finally, every tlp seems to have a big start and then bleed population over time. Arguing that people will quit sooner is pure speculation even before the idea that they can maybe get them back in the next tlp. On the other hand, stopping the pre-velious or long-pop burnout should be helpful, and start variety can help get people back either way.

I understand the staff and workload concerns hence I try to factor it into my suggestions. I don't understand these asinine speculations that it's bad for the game. We haven't had a non classic tlp, its either stromm style fresh start or limited special event.
  14. TheRedBandit Elder

I know i'm not against a classic start in the sense of literally starting with just classic. It's just not built for a 3 month lockout for classic, kunark, and velious each. It's too easy to run out of things to do, especially with fast xp which most of us would like.
  15. dmccollum Elder

Classic or bust. Anything past PoP isn't worth playing.
  16. Ehrz Journeyman

Why would you start a server right where the other Tlps are going to be in a little bit or have just passed? it's silly to think if they start a fresh server past GoD that it would somehow make those expansion packs more fun for the EQ population. if you want to play at a certain point pick a Tlp near there and there you go or if you want a live feel go start a progression guild on FV or something it's really not hard. Thinking they will ever start a Tlp not in classic is just laughable.
  17. skattabrainz Augur

I believe the game as it was originally intended had EQ, Kunark and Velious.

We have never had an "as originally intended" TLP.

I think it would be great. Have the expansions start some months later (based on the ruleset)
    Phinius likes this.
  18. Lowlife Lorekeeper

Ok. Obviously you haven't played some of the best expansions in the game.

2nd. You are providing PERFECT evidence that you're not a long term sub for DBG. You're not going to make them sub money long term. You're opinion doesn't matter. You aren't here to play, or pay, for a long time.

Feel free to go to p99 and waste your time and opinions there. TY! :)
  19. Lowlife Lorekeeper

The reason why this could be fun is because it hasn't been done before. Everyone is posting that previous TLP's made money on kronos in classic so therefore the only way to make more kronos in the future. That type of business logic is what kills business innovation.

Randomly picking a TLP near the expansion you want to play doesn't give the same experience as playing on a new TLP. We're not talking about playing on a list of what CURRENT AVAILABLE TLP best matches our desires. We're talking about 2 new servers, with unknown rulesets. The rush and excitement that brings people back to the game and forms new guilds and new friendships comes with a new server. These servers don't have to start in classic.

Why would you start a new TLP near the others? I believe its because players like me will not come to play on a slow exp TLP server like cornaiv even tho it is the closest to entering the era I'm most excited about. The reason for this is that I'm not starting on a fresh server with everyone else, and I don't agree with the rulesets of that server. Thousands of people aren't going to randomly decide to play on Cornaiv in March because they want to play in PoP.

They might if the new server starts in that era, has faster exp, and/or other ruleset changes we'd enjoy that aren't apart of the current TLPs.
  20. Lowlife Lorekeeper

Thanks for replying. Your reply is exactly the point I'm trying to prove so I'm really glad you spoke up!

You're saying that people are going to pop on the new TLP in a normal classic launch. They're going to have the nostalgia dopamine hit while the EQ music plays as they load in to the game.

Next they're going to proceed to start leveling and say - "Man, stabbing this spider with my rusty dagger sure is fun". For about... 30 minutes.

Then they'll be level 3 and start talking to people and read to move onto something with abilities and game content that isn't just hoping you hit a melee for 8 damage instead of 2.

So in your words they continue to "muck around until that nostalgia wears off" for a month or so and then what? I'll tell you! That sub ends. The possibility to buy bags, or exp pots, or subs all ends. All of the things that you listed in your post as being important money makers for DBG are no longer possible because those players who "muck around" for a month are not how they make money.

I hope you see my point in this idea. The point is that something different could be done, and maybe those people and others would stick around for an experience that hasn't been had as a "fresh start" multiple times.
    Thalliius likes this.