18s 19s for damage casters

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Critts, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Critts Augur

Wondering about the range of augmentations that a caster would be interested in getting. Sure there are the sympatic that proc and the focus effects, but what about defensive and attack Augs? List any that you find interesting here as well as any issues related to useing identical augmentations.
  2. Sancus Augur

If you could have whatever you want, as a Mage/Wizard I'd go with:

Blazing Euphoria (Type 19):
    • Blazing Euphoria Casting Fire
    • Blazing Euphoria Assaulting Magic
    • Blazing Euphoria Soothing
    • Blazing Euphoria Enhancement
    Whispering Midnight (Type 18):
    • Whispering Midnight Casting Fire
    • Whispering Midnight Assaulting Magic
    • Whispering Midnight Warding Fire or Magic
    • Whispering Midnight Enhancement
    Stat Type 18s:
    • Secret Dawn Hikma
    • Weeping Heaven Hikma
    • Secret Dawn Baraea
    • Weeping Heaven Baraea
    Personally I'm not a fan of the 7% AC softcap or 1% reduced frontal damage ones for casters. If you're getting hit, taking on average slightly less damage as a caster isn't going to matter. Having a chance to not get hit at all might save you, but that 50k hit being 49.5k damage isn't going to matter. I don't see any reason we'd want the accuracy one, as accuracy doesn't affect proc rate at all.

I think the only one I'm not totally sure on is Warding Fire vs Magic. Most of the AEs in TBL are resist type unresistable (which is a distinct resist, not just Fire -1000 or w/e). As such, neither are great. Given the rarity of Whispering Midnight augs, probably just go with whichever one you get.

Realistically because of that rarity, you're probably going to substitute in Secret Dawn Dire for something, as those are a bit more common and that is the next highest SD stat aug.
    Saer-tse-tao and Alarya like this.
  3. Critts Augur

Pretty much what I was thinking. Do you happen to know if the Blazing Euphoria Casting Magic and Blazing Euphoria Casting Fire share a lore table? I would almost think it would be better to get magic for PoF, but in general magic is resisted more.
  4. Sancus Augur

They do (here's my lore group spreadsheet).

Blazing Euphoria Casting Magic only procs off of Magic (and Chromatic) spells:

[46706] Blazing Euphoria Casting Magic
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 3.3h+ (1950 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    1: Cast: Spike of Magic VIII on Spell Use (Base1=10) e.g. Cast Time 2s=2.5% 3s=3.3% 4s=5.0% 5s=6.7%
    2: Limit Min Mana Cost: 100
    3: Limit Resist: Magic
    4: Limit Resist: Lowest
    5: Limit Type: Detrimental

Mages have a far higher volume of fire spells than magic spells, so for us it's a clearly superior choice. Between Claw and Skyfire wizards are likely in the same boat. It is unfortunate you can't swap them out for Plane of Fire, but overall Casting Fire should be better for both classes.
  5. Forcallen Augur

Not sure how beneficial the protecting augs are but silly that casting augs got linked with them instead of being tossed into a group with the other proc ones from skills.
  6. Vizier Augur

What kind of proc rates are you guys getting for Blazing / Whispering spell pro augs?

So far from what I can tell on my wizard, proc rate is so low it's basically non existent.
  7. Sancus Augur

They only proc off of their respective resist types* (e.g. whispering midnight magic procs from magic spells only). So it will depend entirely on which one you have and what resist spells you're casting. If all the spells you cast are of the correct resist, they have the same proc rate as normal sympathetic procs.

*And chromatic.
  8. Vizier Augur

For example, I have Whispering Defending Fire on my WIzard which supposedly procs off a defensive ability. I wanted this for farming grays afk, but it doesn't work off of Dodges that I can tell, or its so rare that its pointless. I mean I wanted this to farm grays...I'm not asking a lot here.

Do the items need to be evolved for the type 18s to function correctly?
  9. Sancus Augur

The item isn't for AFK farming grays. Its proc rate is very likely normalized such that tanking additional mobs does not increase the proc rate.
  10. Vizier Augur

How can i find the math behind what you imply?
  11. Brohg Augur

One thing you might do is consult anecdotes from folks that have tried it.

Ooh, here's one:
    Sancus likes this.
  12. Mintalie Augur

Sancus, Renaii is unable to log into the forums and asked that I pass this info to you, hope it's helpful!

I have a whispering midnight casting fire and over 10k lines of logs that say "you twincast burst of flames V" or "your target resisted the burst of flames V spell" (doomfire mobs) to disprove that it doesn't matter what resist type spell you cast, it procs from any type just like a dragonmagic focus potion or MR aura or frostweave aura would.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

13. Sancus Augur

So it's entirely possible I'm misunderstanding, but I don't actually see anything in that statement that contradicts what I've said. Renaii is an Enchanter, and most Enchanter spells are Chromatic resists. In every post I've made on this subject, I've noted that Chromatic is a valid resist type for both proc augs. Here's the data for Whispering Midnight Casting Fire, for example (Lowest = Chromatic):

[46688] Whispering Midnight Casting Fire
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 3.3h+ (1950 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    1: Cast: Burst of Flames V on Spell Use (Base1=10) e.g. Cast Time 2s=2.5% 3s=3.3% 4s=5.0% 5s=6.7%
    2: Limit Min Mana Cost: 100
    3: Limit Resist: Fire
    4: Limit Resist: Lowest
    5: Limit Type: Detrimental

Again, unless I'm missing something, Renaii's data only corroborates what I've been saying. It does not proc off of any resist (and as such is not like Dragonmagic Focus), but Chromatic is one of the two valid resist types.
  14. Mintalie Augur

I will certainly share this with her! I have no argument either way, was just the messenger. :)
  15. Morthakia Augur

A few things to consider:

1) I have an SK with “Defending Fire” and the proc rate is horrible. Maybe once per mob. Assuming it doesn’t get resisted, the added DPS is quite weak. I’ve been disappointed.
    2) For farming greys, it may be the case that with Jann’s Veil your damage absorption makes it so the mobs can never hit you (100% of damage is absorbed). Assuming this is the case, you may not be getting any dodge checks and therefore no procs. This is just a theory, but consider this.
    3) I accidentally got “Casting Fire” on my SK, which has no fire spells. I couldn’t get it to trigger with magic based spells, so I eventually destroyed it and picked up a “Casting Magic.” Still disappointing, but a little less so. Pretty certain these only trigger per the restrictions Sanctus indicated above.