GamParse, TBL, and You

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Beimeith, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spayce Augur

I just spent about 4 hours writing a basic parser that handles everything Coirnav needs to parse accurately. It's a grand total of 6 regex (physical, nuke, dot, selfDot, pet, ds, and a simple one to catch anything the other 6 didn't grab), an EQCombatant, and EQTarget class, and a couple supporting classes.

All very simply.

Now this guy can piddle around all he wants and I won't mind haha.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Great. Bye.
  3. Leex Pewpewer

Attacking the person who is modifying and updating the program you love, that's brilliant!

The entitlement is strong in this thread.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Sheex like this.
  4. Smokezz The Bane Crew

A TLP player. Explains SO much. LOL.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Sheex like this.
  5. Ceffener Augur

I still don’t understand, people keep saying people will donate their time and money if the project was open sourced. But after 20 years there is not an open sourced parser. Not a single person (of this group that is said to exists) has ever bothered to write a basic parser and post it on Git. So in reality we see 0 evidence that the community has coders lining up to spend their free time on an open sourced parser.

I say release a patched version for $50 and let the 3 trolls put their money where there mouth is. Everyone else will wait for it to be fixed or move on.

Edit

I apologize to “TheSmallBang”, https://github.com/thesmallbang/EverquestOpenParser

Go forth army of open source workers, someone started for you...no one has cared in years, but there it is.
    Pirlo likes this.
  6. Tucoh Augur

C# *vomits*
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

Lol
  8. kizant Augur

It's hard to make a nice windows GUI without resorting to Visual Studio and .Net. Then C# is pretty much the best option. The dynamic object support isn't even that bad.
  9. Aurastrider Augur

Bye Felicia!
    Tatanka likes this.
  10. Filtomick New Member

Kizant nailed it. I debated starting on a parser but I realized I really don't want to do the UI work. If I were to start on my own I'd probably go C# UI with a C++ (day job language so easiest for me to work in, and 17 isn't half bad) DLL doing all the work.

Also, I hate to feed the trolls but I can't help it. Can someone explain how people politely offering their time and energy, if desired, is entitled? It seems more generous and supportive to me. I get how the comment someone made about "open it now because it's inevitable" is a bit pushy. It just seems to me there are waaay too many trolls here. At least old school Linus (before even he realized abuse wasn't helping) rants were mostly fact-driven.
  11. Smokezz The Bane Crew

No one is saying a word about people offering their time. People are asking WTF to the people demanding it be released "now". To the people demanding it be open sourced. To the people demanding it just be made to work with the new logs..
    Tatanka likes this.
  12. Ceffener Augur

The question is if people are offering their time an energy then why are they not contributing to the open sourced projects that have failed over the years? There is no one that has actually offered their time, just insisted that SOMEONE must exist who would offer than time and therefor the project should be open. The point is if someone wants open projects then make one or contribute to a dead one, instead of demanding a non open project be open.

Just do a web based UI would be the easiest and probably look the best. I used to raid with the guys over at AskMrRobot for WoW and they made some sweet webpages parsing/visual analytics stuff for that game.
  13. kizant Augur

Hosting costs for one thing. For my web app I specifically avoided having a back-end so I could stick with cheap static web hosting on AWS. It's not free but it usually only runs a couple dollars a month. Also, very few people are going to upload their logs or data to some random server. There's a lot of fear about getting nerfed by some classes.
  14. Ceffener Augur

You can use nodejs or something similar and run everything locally. Package it up and it looks like a normal application, you just get to use chrome as the GUI. Slack/Discord are applications using Electron that is a fancy version of doing that, but for an application for yourself NodeJs is simple way to self host the site, you could parse the logs in JS, Python, whatever, and then web GUI is easier than application GUI.

That would all be for self install / self use. The AMR people did the whole log parsing on a hosted site to make money, for EQ if I cared enough to make my own parser though, I’d still go web app, but local install only.

Full disclosure Electron may be awesome in itself and a better solution than making a web app (I view it as desktop apps that are essentially packed web apps), but I didn’t know about it until recently and haven’t used it. Running NodeJS apps locally though I have done a lot.
  15. Filtomick New Member

Unless there's a trick I don't know, the only problem with that is doing the live overlay bit, which many people enjoy. Other than that I've considered just throwing the data at InfluxDB or ElasticSearch.
  16. Ceffener Augur

I’m not exactly sure how the live overlays work, I was thinking more for the large log post raid type analysis webapp type stuff can be pretty sweet. Overlay I’m assuming you have to do something with Windows/Direct X api? I only develop on Mac/Linux so I am biased on my knowledge lol.

Edit - googled some

In theory it would be possible to use Windows 10 compact overlay and make a PIP version of the app (probably using Edge for the browser) that you could just overlay how you want. Obviously a Windows 10 solution, but seems possible.

Also not saying anyone should start their own parser, we have a great resource, but if you want to learn some programming and are that impatient it wouldn’t be the worst starter project I can think of.
  17. kizant Augur

Electron does look interesting.
  18. Filthy casual Journeyman

Who's ready to crowd source a competitive parsing program? Until there's competition, it's just a monopoly and we'll continue to wait on a working parser....we'll everyone but ROI will wait I mean.
    Allayna likes this.
  19. Leigo You come here often?

Good god the hate is real.. I don't envy you Beimeith.
    Hope all is going well!
  20. That0neguy Augur

So where is it? Or do you mean you threw a log file into splunk and created 6 searches? Did you build a UI for it? Wheres the screenshot. I am sure if you had some proof that lots of people would donate to you right now for a copy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.