If you're thinking of restarting

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Silver-Crow, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Silver-Crow Augur

If you're all access and thinking of restarting in EQ, but are not sure where, then can I suggest the Phinegel server as there are some definite advantages to live.

1. Pick zones are enabled, so you can swap picks if the one you are in is overcrowded.
    2. Raids are instanced with AOC's, so no more racing other guilds. As a result there's a healthy number of guilds raiding current content without any drama.
    3. Mercs are now live on the server making catching up levels easy.
    4. Top level is currently only 85, so you can catch up in no time.... especially with aa autogrant.
    5. Cultural armor is readily available, which makes it easy to gear up to a reasonable standard. 6. The server is on Seeds of Destruction with new content every 8 to 12 weeks meaning you can enjoy a constant flow of new challenges and it allows you to play content you may have missed in the past.
    7. This is a mature TLP server. The Krono farmers have gone away to the new TLP servers
    8. This is a true box server, so you need one machine per character. Yes there are a few box groups going around, but they don't dominate the server, and I've yet to see a box army.
    9. This is a truly global server. There are raiding guilds in all timezones.
    10. The economy is not shot to hell (like the FV server), so prices are reasonable and affordable.

Not sure yet...

Come try it out. Most guilds are more than happy to invite new starts, as it doesn't take that long to catch up and If you don't want to raid then most are also are happy to have you as a social member.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Bravefighter New Member

Hello there, last time I ever played EQ1 was many years ago and I never really gave it a true shot as the game kind of gave me a culture shock compared to modern MMOs. Not sure if this is the right thread to be posting in, but I want to give Everquest a real shot and see if I can enjoy this game.

I'm aware there's progression servers around, but maybe live would be good for me too? Do you have any recommendations?
  3. Silver-Crow Augur

It's a long grind to max level on live, and you're basically missing out on all the content except for the last xpac. For me Phinigel is at a bit of a sweet spot just now. Mercs are out, and you've only 85 levels to do, so catching up is easy. You've also got 10 expansions still to be released on this server so loads of content still to do.

There are other TLP's out there but they do all have some issues, and they don't have mercs yet, so levelling is harder.

Agnarr - locked at pop forever so population is starting to drop.
    Coirnav - is still the darling server of krono farmers. The population is currently good, but expect it to drop sharply when the new tlp arrives, as the farmers will move on, along with those that just like playing on the newest server. XP is slow too.
    Ragefire/Lockjaw - domain of the boxers
  4. Flipsutter New Member

Just made a cleric on Phinny. Hopefully will get to see some of the stuff I missed!
  5. Sammors New Member

If anyone will put up with a BRAND NEW player, hit me up on Phin, my ingame name will probably me Gaumak, but if that fails reply here or add my Discord Samson#7504
  6. Telkiney Elder

Does the Autogrant system occur on Phinigel? Or are there no AA's that I need to grind there?
  7. Silver-Crow Augur

Yes Autogrant is implemented on Phinny. You'll get over 1k AA's just by levelling to 85, after which you can top up things like CA/CS using earned AA's which come pretty quickly now that we're at live XP rates.
  8. Silver-Crow Augur

Welcome to the server Flip.... every guild loves another cleric.
    If your end game is raiding check out https://phinnyprogress.com/

This will show you the guilds clearing current content. If you want to kick back and relax then you could probably join one of these guilds as a social member, or join one of the many other great smaller guilds.

The nice thing about Phinny is it's a 24x7 server with guilds in every time zone, with a variety of playstyles. I'm not going to recommend this or that guild as ultimately you want to find a guild you're comfortable with. Keep your ear to the ground, and you'll definitely find what your looking for :)
  9. Flipsutter New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I hit level 10 last night with a warrior merc. Hopefully I can keep the train rolling.
  10. sazz New Member

I rolled a chanter/cleric duo, Synz and Morfiend.. just hit level 10, hit me up if ya see me on :)
  11. FL!P Augur

how is phinigel from a more casual aspect? not looking to pump in 16 hours a day. but i could play alot. so not hardcore but actively i guess
  12. Silver-Crow Augur

The key aspect here is finding a guild that suits your playtime and playstyle. Many of the guilds will welcome social members, as they're great for padding out groups on off raid times, and you'll certainly find many guilds that just like to hang out and don't raid. I

I won't lie, pug groups are fairly rare, but guild groups are pretty easy to come by, and even easier to start now that mercs are in the game. If you only want to hang out for an hour... no problem you can still do something with a merc.

Phinny is in a very nice place just now for new starts. Mercs make it easy to level, the server is on live xp rates, and there's a pretty healthy number of guilds welcoming of new members when you're ready to join one. Gear is also not much of an issue as the cultural armor is very nice and reasonably cheap.
    Clfyts likes this.
  13. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Exp rate for phinny is the definition of complete fail. No thx.
  14. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I don't think you know what that word means.
  15. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

You mean phinny doesn't equal fail? :D
  16. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Phinny xp rates are the same* as live. If that is to slow for you, you are wasting your and everyone else's time posting on the forums. This game is simply not for you.
  17. Zyrinx New Member

Neat thread - downloading the game right now.

Last time I played was right around the Burning Crusade came out in WoW... so early 2007. I was able to log into my account though so that's a good start.... wonder if my old character will still be there!
  18. Kyting New Member

Try eq2. Skyfire server to start. /Who all ghostdragons
  19. Silver-Crow Augur

Are you sure you're not getting mixed up with Coirnav?
    Phinny XP rates are the equivalent of the live servers now.

The TLP servers traditionally have very slow XP to begin with. Phinny was the same as Coirnav is now when it was back in luclin, but at certain points in the servers release schedule, xp rates get a bump... until they reach the same xp rate as live. Phinny is past all the slow xp rates so levelling is relatively painless now.
  20. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I agree on EQ2. It belongs to a different, faraway, "fail-verse"..... EQ2 is a bunch of 7 digit numbers flying all over the place on the screen that mean absolutely nothing.