Mage Burns

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Aurastrider, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Aurastrider Augur

I am sure there is a thread some place with peoples mage burns but an updated page is always nice to hear discussions on changes over time. I am primarily interested in AA burns only but I guess spell burns never hurt for someone new to the class who might be reading this. My 70 hour work week is almost over so I will try to contribute mine when I have time to log in but would love to see what some of the master mages are using to compare to my current lineups. Happy hunting all and as always thanks in advance.
  2. gotwar Gotcharms

3. Mintalie Augur

"Wait until Auspice is over to use First Spire, and then use it on refresh as long as you don't have Auspice or some other large crit chance increase."

Are there any others besides Circle of Power?

By the way, outstanding write-up.
  4. Brohg Augur

base nuke crits 58% for magician

Circle of Power is +4%
    Third Spire of Enchantment +9%
    Group Spirit of the Black Wolf +10%
    Spirit of Vesagran +12%
    Illusions of Grandeur +13%
    Fierce Eye +13%
    Glyph of Destruction +15%
    First Spire of Elements +24%
    Auspice of the Hunter +33%
    Intensity of the Resolute +50%

Mix & match, pile them up to get the +42% you need for 100%

1-shots, guaranteed crit:
    Chromatic Haze
    Gift of Chromatic Haze
    Mana Charge
  5. Fintank Augur

Mana Charge - 1: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 175% (Limit: 3 Hits)
    Chromatic Haze - 10: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 100% (Limit: 2 Hits)
    Intensity of the Resolute - 7: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 50%
    Auspice of the Hunter - 1: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 33%
    First Spire of Elements - 2: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 24%
    Glyph of Destruction IV - 7: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 15%
    Illusions of Grandeur - 5: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 13%
    Fierce Eye - 6: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 13%
    Spirit of Vesagran - 9: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 12%
    Group Spirit of the Black Wolf - 8: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 10%
    Third Spire of Enchantment - 11: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 9%
    Circle of Power IV - 4: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 4%
    Circle of Power III - 4: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 3%

I *think* this is a complete list of Crit Chance shenanigans for Magicians, however I may have missed 1 or 2. Obviously in this list I just listed everything including "weird" things like Intensity and the Sorcerer's Blade clickie. Along with things that always get hit during other modifiers like Chromatic Haze. Also I do know that most of these things do a lot of other wonderful modifiers but crit chance was the only thing brought up. Enjoy!

Edit: Damnit Brogh!
    IblisTheMage and Mintalie like this.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

Where has this been all my life? Seriously I don't recall stumbling across this link before. I will have to examine it and make sure to alter my setup and compare how well I do compared to my current setup. Do you know of similar ones for other classes? I made some enchanter AA burns recently but have zero clue if they are good or not. My wizard, bard and necro burns are from COTF era and I did not really notice much of anything for shaman outside of making tons of healing burns (there only seemed to be a couple of actually dps related things unless I am missing something).
  7. Sancus Augur

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QBScmmFIB6FJxvlW7C0G4d9JQfoPsa02lNr_MZSAfeE/edit?usp=sharing

I've posted the above before on these forums, but linking it to a google doc allows me to keep it updated. There are probably some new guides worth adding, but the above should nonetheless be a good starting point. It is worth noting that anything I write is primarily oriented towards raiding unless I specifically say otherwise, but there should still be a good deal of applicable information.
  8. Aurastrider Augur

Are you serious? Dude thanks a million and I mean it. Raiding perspective or not it at least gives me something to work off of. I spend countless hours reading every AA, grouping them by description, and then trying to figure out what makes "sense" building burns. What seems logical to me might be very illogical to a master of a class like yourself which is why I love reading this stuff. It helps me to better understand the game in general.

For example I try to group AA's that will increase crit chance, twin cast, and increased spell dps in general. Maybe this is bad practice to stack all 3? In my brain it makes perfect sense to always get more spell damage, plus get two nukes for 1, and also maybe get off an uber nuke (crit).
  9. Parker Elder

You know I bet you're not too far off being a masterclass yourself. The thought process you have of grouping like AAs and their effects is not too far off from what you need to do to get there. Way back in the day when there was only Lucy and eqcompanion parser to work with, its what I did. I'm talking using Lucy spelldat JUST as a means to categorize some of things I would later parse and their true effects and stackability...forget all this SPA stuff even though it works. I went in, for my bard, ran a baseline with NOTHING for buffs. That gave me hits per whatever, max hit, min hit, avg hit, same for melee Crits, same for non melee and crits, right on down the line. For a caster the equivalent to melee rate of hits or swing rate would be spell casts per whatever....that's ALL your baseline to compare to for later. Then I added 1 effect at a time and compared that parse back to the baseline...it was crude because something like an increase in melee max hit I denoted as things that made my character hit harder....I didn't need to put it in a category listed in Lucy until much and only IF I got stuck in something that didn't make sense logically for stacking. So as I went through every single ability effect disc buff AA song etc etc I made my own categories...for melee swing rate, accuracy or how many times you land v miss, how hard you hit etc etc. When I was done with all that I went to each category wnd and say under SWING RATE I had 5 things that made me swing more in a given duration...well I would put 2 of those effects on at once to see if they "stacked", meaning did the two on at once net me more swings versus the two individual parses for each said effect? If yes they stacked. If no which one overwrote the other...that could be determined by matching the parse numbers of swing rate that was near identical to the one with 2 effects going. You do that for each category wnd and each effect and pair each effect with every other one in same category...every possible combo you can think of. The added bonus of doing things this way is it commits to memory better...think I did this early 2000s and I still remember most of the bard stuff not because I look at SPAs but because I tore apart my character bare bones and ran a scientific method type method experiment to internalize his functionality with my mind. I'm super confident if I wanted to be an exceptional {insert random class here} I could because I'd strip it down like this all over again....not to mention the begging for buffs from other classes after raids then testifying with those buffs on because guild dummy weren't available at the time. People I grouped with benefitted and the guildmates too. You can be masterclass at anything if you approach the right way. Cheers!
    Aurastrider likes this.
  10. Mintalie Augur

I feel like I just hit the mage jackpot. Thanks for all of the info!
  11. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Yep this thread is gold.
  12. ~Mills~ Augur

This thread totally disappoints!

I came here expecting people making fun of mages instead. Like guilds only needing 1 mage for mod rods, pet toys and to coth to tables in pof raid.
    Sancus likes this.
  13. kaedmon New Member

how do people burn after the nerf to union? use magic? just coming back to level my mage, and saw this aa had disappeared.

also, what all spells you have memed? obviously im sure this changes, I am not a raider
  14. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Pretty much no change in burn sequence, unless you're fighting a fire immune/resistant mob. Fire is still supreme over magic. We just get less from it due to the nerf. That said, new raid arms do give a boost.