GamParse, TBL, and You

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Beimeith, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vizier Augur

Just thought it needed to be said.
  2. Snazster Elder

Thank you for all your hard work, Beimeith. I look forward to using it again when you deem it is ready for us.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

If you're as wrong about how to play EQ as you are about this, you don't need a parser to tell you that your EQ performance blows.
  4. Astral64 Augur

[IMG]
    Pirlo likes this.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You are clueless. He is giving nobody a bad name, just himself.

Why point out his age/generation? Why not he's giving all right-handers a bad name? How about people born on Tuesdays?

You are giving yourself, AND NOBODY ELSE, a bad name.
  6. Forcallen Augur

I hope this takes longer to get settled and it isn't backwards compliant! I love taking a break from the parse with no one the wiser. And don't want anyone loading up logs from the time of the parse void to expose my vacation.
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

If that's all you took away from my reply, I weep for anyone who has to deal with you on a daily basis.

I can, in fact, have it both ways. (I also know how to eat cake and have it too, but that's my secret).

Since reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong suit, I'll try to simply it as much as I can for you:

[Mon Dec 31 17:15:44 2018] Beimeith slashes General Reparm for 1092 points of damage. (Rampage)

This line is no different from earlier logs to current logs. There was no change whatsoever from DBG.

The problem is that earlier versions of the parser would call this a "Rampage" attack instead of a "Slashing" attack. Thus any and all calculations involving "Slashing" damage are wrong.

The reality is that it is both a Slashing attack and a Rampage attack, but the parser was not set up to handle something being more than one thing. I have to change it to allow for something to be more than one thing. Thus in future versions it will show as both Slashing and Rampage and the numbers will be correct for both.

This is ONE (1) example of things that were calculated wrong. There are several more.

I fear even that explanation might not be simple enough for you to follow so I'll try and break it down as much as I possibly can:

Parsing the log is a two (2) step process.

Step One (1): Read the log and store the relevant information.

Step Two (2): Use the stored information and calculate all the various numbers.

DBG changing the log file format is a Step One problem. It's easy to look for a changed line in the log.

Problems calculating are a Step Two problem that has NOTHING to do with reading the log file or DBG's changes.

If you still can't understand the issue I can't help you because I don't know how to make it more clear than that.

As others already said, I don't *have* to do anything. I *choose* to do it just as I choose to keep it mostly closed with only a few people I trust to have access to it.
  8. Brumans Augur

As a fellow software dev, I'm loving Beim's commitment to quality.

I also love how he deals with the trolling and tinfoil hattery.

I'm an Agile software guy, so I probably would have advocated for "release an incremental update that reads the new lines, leaves in old bugs, but is still close enough that people get a relative gauge of their DPS" then release the much improved and speedier version when it was ready. However, not having a parser for a month or two isn't going to kill anyone.

There's probably some upper limit when getting *something* functional out the door is warranted for a hobby project for an ancient MMO, but I don't think we're to that point yet.

Anywhos, looking forward to the new version when it's ready! Hopefully the bug I had with the past few versions is fixed then too: https://eqresource.com/board/index.php?topic=199057.0 (I still suspect it's just a ClickOnce deployment gone wrong).
    Gyurika Godofwar and Filtomick like this.
  9. Belexes ForumQuester

That is fine, I am ok with that.

I am not sure why you are so bent unless the shoe fits? Why do you care? Are you some kind of crusader? If someone says all Baby Boomers are fools, that isn't gonna hurt my feelings. I could care less. Not sure why you care so much.
  10. Spayce Augur

Folks can whine all they want, but this guy is right. If you are supporting a toolset, no matter what folks pay to use it, you don’t hold it hostage while making a large update without a working version in place. It is extremely poor project management to leave users without a working tool for almost a month. I have serious doubts the guy working on this works in a professional capacity as a software guy on a team of any real size.

Any project manager or software engineer worth a damn will tell you the correct solution would have been to make the regex changes (extremely simple), release a working version, and then upgrade the entire codebase.

If he needs help, ask. I have plenty of experience to chip in on a parser, and I’m sure many others do as well. If he needs cash, set up a way to donate. I can definitely spare a few bucks to help things along, and I’m sure many others can as well.

If he doesn’t want to release the band aid version, make it open source and I will. There is no reason to hold this tool hostage other than his ego wanting be “the owner”...very common in the software world. Most guys are scared to death of other engineers picking apart their code, and desperately keep it hidden as much as they can.

And enough with the “it’s free, so stop whining...but I don’t want any money for it” nonsense. It’s buffoonery at its finest. Either support it in a timely manner, or make it open source so others can.
    Filtomick and Jaay like this.
  11. Daedly Augur

Do you also share the view, that just because a child has a toy that they HAVE to share it with others kids around them?
  12. Filtomick New Member

If I had the time to have a family, work, play EQ, and build/sponsor/guide a parser I would. I have time for 3.14159 of those 4 things and the parser fell into the fraction range.

Beimeith, while I disagree with his approach, had prioritized the parser. So I do think opening it would bet better? Clearly. Is what he's done so far amazing? Clearly.

Would good work be amplified by open sourcing and become incredible work? Absolutely!

If someone, anyone, has the time to create an open source parser: many of us would donate time and code. If not, we'll all wait for Beimeith to release his and as someone else said, forget this whole episode and the work he's done until it looks broken again.

I definitely have thought about starting LibreEQParse on GitHub... then I log into EQ or my paying job and work on one of Filto or work code. Then I thank Beimeith he's more willing than me to keep a parser running, despite my philosophical differences!
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Or, the third option: Make your own, and support it however you wish.

Or, the obvious fourth option: Well, I think you can guess what the fourth option is ;)

Oh yeah, almost forgot. It's free, so stop whining.
  14. Herodotus Augur

QFT
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I was going to type a reply, but I think I've said all I have to say about it.
    Smokezz, Tatanka and Derka like this.
  16. Derka Power Ranger

You're dealing with junkies that need their parse fix, just keep polishing the product. In the end they will thank you for delivering a finished product unlike some companies. Nothing dramatic has changed in the game so if you parsed pre expansion then you are just dpsing or healing 20% more now! (Made up number)
  17. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

@Angre

Isn't Decap hard capped to proc like twice every two minutes? All lucky procs would do is cause the menial damage (in comparison to other such skills) to happen and you wait two more minutes, faster. It's a shame, the condition of that skill.
  18. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Oh wow, this thread regenerated fast lol :/
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

20. Aurastrider Augur

It is free and available to the public. To think you are entitled to said tool in any fashion is just ignorant. Beimeith is the sole owner of this software and he "lets" you and everyone else use it. If he lent you his car, it broke down and he said "I will repair it when I have time" would you throw a fit and rant like this? Even after offering to help fix it and he told you that he does not like anyone working on his car but him? Show some respect and give the guy some space. It will be finished when its finished and if we are lucky the finished product will be made available to us. The way people are treating this poor guy I would not blame him for locking the completed version up in the closet and only letting it play with others who are willing to pay for it. Its his baby so let him nurture it how he pleases and bring it back to health faster and stronger than before.
    Angre, Herodotus and Pirlo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.