Do we actually need a TLP server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Beggly, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Beggly Augur

I personally think we have enough. I know, this is not a popular idea. But isn't the large number we have enough?

Perhaps instead of a TLP we did another event server? I realize that at the end, almost none of the characters who were on that server continued to be played. But that seems to be a not terrible thought.

Perhaps we could do a special event, a server where all the holiday events and special events were activated, and the thing didn't end until a certain percentage of the population completed all of them?

I dunno, I'm out of ideas, but I'm sure people can come up with a good idea. Just don't futz with the exp. I don't like hyper slow progression in exp. It annoys me.
  2. taliefer Augur

we dont need another phinny/coirnav clone.

But i will be disappointed if DBG doesnt come up with some kind of special server for the 20th anniversary.

I'd prefer something with long term appeal, but there really should be at least a quarm style event server
  3. MaxTheLion Augur

There is nothing long term anymore. The cretins have the attention span of a goldfish and are always wanting a new TLP one month after the previous has been released. Quarm was a fun run but it also occurred during a time when Phinny was at the end of an expansion which provided a new goal for a large portion of its players. With the recent release of SoD and the 90 possible achievements, plus BiS farming, I don't foresee many people having excess time or desire to invest into a limited run server. Who knows, I may be wrong.
    Chillies and snailish like this.
  4. Jontrann Augur

I love seeing posts like this, it screams "please don't release a new tlp server because i don't want coirnav to die out".
  5. svann Augur

Ironman progression server. No ressing, no releasing. You die, you go to character select and reroll.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  6. RandomStrategy Augur

I kinda like this idea....but I'd do nothing but powerlevel people for krono.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  7. snailish Augur

You raise good points. Some have argued we have too many live servers for years as well... Daybreak has to decide what they are comfortable running (Vulak shows they have a pretty small population threshold to bother to shut a server down).

Of the 6 current progression servers only one has a huge playerbase going at a later era, but some aren't at late eras yet. Arguing if the others are stable population or dying is kind of a moot thing. Maybe they merge those away or let a small-tiny playerbase continue. If we aren't one of the players on the lower-pop progression servers we really shouldn't care either way as I don't think it factors into what they do next.

The number of existing servers doesn't predict the viability of future servers imo. --With progression it really seems to have to do more with the timing of them. Lots of negative comments get made about Coirnav. If they had made Coirnav a Quarm event #2 and started Coirnav next spring I think those comments would be far less (not crimping the XP would help too).
  8. taliefer Augur

i dont know, coirnav is really the only server that made people question the long term goals of DBG. Phinigel came about because of raid instancing. DBG doesnt think a standard non true box server can handle all the instanced loads. and based on changes they made since phinny, and some of the issues that server had, i tend to believe that was "a thing". Phinigel still seems to be motoring along just fine.

agnarr filled a demand that people have had for a while, a locked server. it seems to be doing OK still and is what it is at this point and forever forward.

Coirnav is really the only thing that really made people feel like "huh, thats weird." but considering its one of the few servers that ever hits the "full" mark on the front page, id say its doing fine.

If they come up with something different than a ragefire or phinny clone, i'd be more than happy to call it home for a few years. If they do an event server, im sure i'll have fun on it, fulfill the goal, and keep plugging along on Coirnav
    snailish likes this.
  9. Rexxy Journeyman

+1
  10. Lucky Charms Journeyman

I like the ironman idea, but I would want FV style looting, it would make for an interesting economy that is always fresh because gear would be taken out of the game when people die, so farming even leveling gear would be worth it.
  11. Kolani Augur

Ironman is just a bad idea overall, unless you manually remove the instant death mechanics that are a part of the game. Plane of Fear will never be touched and the server will not progress beyond that point, rendering the server essentially dead on arrival.
  12. Ltldogg Augur

I can't wait for a new TLP and hope hope hope that it is a surprise in that they truly bring back a classic feel of CRs, slow xp, non-revamped zones (Free Freeport!), etc. Then after SoV has been open for many many many months, they surprise us with new content forgetting all content post SoV and starting over. Yes, I want this and more TLPs!
  13. Kolani Augur

14. HoodenShuklak Augur

Ironman would be more welcome, and in addition it's the right kind of server that won't slowly but surely kill other servers.

In effect, it will always be something people can just try out and be welcoming to newbies.

+24 for this idea (one for each of my true boxes).
  15. HoodenShuklak Augur

Timing is everything. EQ is a small population. It cannot be split 1,000 ways like some viral facebook game that is gushing with new blood. It's been said too many times, the niche EQ population is being divided and conquered by shortsighted planning apathy.
  16. Elskidor Augur

A new tlp is fine and will bring in a lot of fun and a new rush wave, but a couple things need to happen before hand I think. First, listen to the bulk of these new server ideas and try a FV type with Agnaar or better XP. Slow XP is not fun and drives more people away than helps the cause. Second, merge or eliminate several of these. Phinny, Agnaar and Corinav are the only healthy populated TLPs currently. Hell, Phinny could be temporarily slowed down and Corinav sped up until they can merge even.
  17. Xeris Augur

Agnarr has been on LDON for... 3 months now? Server isn't going anywhere but there are 13-15 guilds that are active and raiding plane of time still. It's pretty fun. I've said it before, but I'd love another locked server, like at OOW. There are a plethora of TLPs that will progress to live, but only 1 locked one. OOW would be a fun one.

Also, new TLP will invariably attract new/returning players.

More importantly than whatever rule set they decide for another TLP is how they market it. Agnarr was marketed decently... I heard about it without having played EQ for over a decade. If they announce it and promote it a few months in advance that'd be great
  18. Iyvy Augur

Yes. If they want me to play, spend money on their game, they need a new TLP, hopefully something faster paced in terms of expansions and exp.

Tbh the problem was the coirnav release.

The exp was awful and it was too early into agnarr. If they'd just waited until about now, it would've been perfect.

Alas.

Anyway, people are going to want off every server, Phinny, LJ/RF, Coirnav, agnarr.

All of them reach points where people would prefer to start over rather than do Hobbits of Halas or whatever terrible unfinished exp the game is on.
  19. snailish Augur

A plane ruled by Halflings in an eternal struggle against rude barbarians full of Easter-Egged Norse lore sounds like a win-win to me.
  20. Puffen New Member

i have been thinking since nov 2018 to come back to EverQuest, but there are so many servers out there thats far ahead and Coirnav have been out for sometime and been looking like a new TLP will come for me, when i have checked the release dates of other TLP servers.
    I wanna enjoy kunark,Velious and Luclin again, but all TLP are ahead of those expansions, so me and i know some friends that wannad do kunark again, just been waiting to get back to EverQuest, none of the TLP thats up are intressting for us, since we wanna play from Kunark to GoD, since those are the expansions we liked