DBG overhead and revenue.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nebulos, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Nebulos New Member

I Would love for DBG to disclose their revenue and profit margins on Everquest alone so that maybe i would be interested in buying the lifetime subscription.
  2. Hithiquen New Member

DBG has reverted to a barter economy based on chickens and pretty seashells
    Herf likes this.
  3. Bigstomp Augur

4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

5. xxar Augur

Once a game starts offering life time subs , the life expectancy is being calculated for when it will be shelved.
    Pirlo likes this.
  6. Maedhros High King

Not to worry, they are almost sold out. I don't think it will matter if you are reluctant to buy or not.
  7. Defjam1 Journeyman

If you want Everquest to be around, buy subs, buy expansions, spend extra money if you can. That's really the only thing you can do to influence if the game survives. Anything that gives them a large influx of cash, can only be a good thing. Coming up with ideas to keep people sub'd is not new, I've got a permanent lifetime sub price, and a RAF account, which means i'll never drop my sub's its too valuable a benefit.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  8. Chikkin Augur

Most likely I'm just missing the sarcasm or whatever, but in case I'm not and this isn't a stupid question and you know something or something official was released -- "How do you know they are almost sold out?"
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

They tweeted yesterday there were less than 1000 remaining. It was off to the right when you first come on the forums
    Maedhros and Chikkin like this.
  10. Chikkin Augur

Thank you for this, I probably haven't been using these forums enough lately to not have tunnel vision as I didn't even notice what you're talking about.
  11. Israfel Elder

Nearly every aspect of EverQuest development indicates there is no end in sight.

Despite what your natural business acumen tells you about lifetime subs, it is far more likely that there is a financial controller in an office somewhere that calculated the earnings potential of 4000 lifetime subs at $299 regairdless of the longevity of this game and found it to be favorable.

It is fascinating to me that so many people here underestimate the amount of talent it takes to run a business like this. The Everquest property has been around for nearly 20 years both starting and outliving so many huge MMORPGs. That hasn’t happened just by chance. The people running EverQuest have some of the best data and strategies for running an operation like this, and it is safe to assume they are going to keep doing it for as long as they can. They generate value for Daybreak games in so many ways that we simply cannot fathom without access to internal plans from their finance and managerial operations teams.
    Quatr and IblisTheMage like this.
  12. AnzoRagespirit Augur

That last paragraph is the biggest lie from EQ in the past few years. We pay for EVERQUEST most of us don't play other DBG games like that stupid H1Z1, yet our EVERQUEST money gets siphoned right into that I need a hug of a game that has a smaller playerbase than ultima online.
    Pirlo likes this.
  13. AnzoRagespirit Augur

Umm I didn't say I need a hug, they're seriously changing what I said instead of just letting the words be filtered out lol
  14. Chikkin Augur

I like what you said for the most part, at least in spirit, and giving them credit where credit is due. I don't however feel they have some of the best people (as in raw talent/skills/foresight etc) in the industry and that is the reason why they're doing what they're doing.

I simply think that they were the first to do what they did on such a large scale. The ones who came before them, were not quite what EQ was. For this reason, there is a bunch of die hards, and all the people who were broke teens and college students and could barely afford a sub 20 years ago, or even younger and needed to convince their parents to pay a monthly fee, are now adults and have enough money to pay for their own and multiple boxes, and on top of that, have this crazy nostalgia thing going -- hence why TLP is so big here, and why the playerbase seems to be 75% age 30-35+. WoW is going to be the same thing, and for the same reasons, although EQ came before it, WoW did things on a much grander scale than any before them, and that too will have a long lifespan based on being many people's first rodeo.

tl;dr -- I think the people running the show are awesome, but it's because of how special/unique EQ is/was, and not because they have some great data crunchers or financial controllers handling the accounting in such a superb way, as to why this game stays afloat.
    Pirlo likes this.
  15. Nebulos New Member

RAF with mandatory subscription, I would totally spend $ on all 30 of my accounts if they brought back RAF with the 300%/100% xp bonuses
    Chikkin and Pirlo like this.
  16. Chikkin Augur

True, on my accounts, which numbers 11 I just counted, I subbed for one, but have no reason to sub for the others... but would totally do so on 1-2 more accounts for the exp bonus.
  17. IblisTheMage Augur

It was his opinion, not a statement from EQ/DBG. A lie implies intention to mislead. He clearly believes what he wrots. So: not a lie, not from EQ/DBG. I share his belief that it was a rational decision under assumption of longer than 3 years remaining life span. In my country, a company offering to sell something they plan to close down would be in big trouble legally, not to mention the enormeus hit on credibility and reputation.

I of course, like you, would prefer if all income from the franchise went back into the franchise. I would spend more if that was guaranteed, support crowd funding for gfx-upgrades, etc. But it is the company’s asset, it is their income stream to dispose over, not ours...
    Pirlo and Quatr like this.
  18. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

There is an unusual problem with having the RAF bonus... too much XP.

I have max level/AA on my main characters with it, so I cap AAs before I'm done with progression/hunter/etc. I got over 2000aa's camping a single 2 expansion old collection item.

When I stop being able to gain AAs... there is no reward for most quests/tasks, so they are pointless to do except for checking off achievement boxes, so I lose interest in the game.

The base XP reward is calculated for a purpose, and perma bonus XP messes that up in an unexpected way.

It's why I would dump a ton of money onto account-to-account transfers if I could, I got 14 level 110's on one account... and other accounts with a bunch of low levels that I wish I could swap out the bonus XP on.
  19. Nebulos New Member

Too much xp? Wtf, where did that onesided statement come from lol.
    Pirlo likes this.
  20. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

It's amazing how different people can read the same signs and come to such different conclusions. But I guess it really just highlights how much we are all speculating based on too little information.

So, while we're creating our own prophecies, here's mine:

DBG and their new joint venture recognize that DBG's current All Access stable of games is dying and has limited remaining lifespan. Rather than let it die off slowly and wither away (generating minimal profit which would be split among the employees required to maintain the games), they are seizing the opportunity to liquidate their assets in a lump sum to be reinvested elsewhere (like new games that are not bound to the All Access/Lifetime agreements).

I think the 20th anniversary of EQ is too much of an opportunity to pass up, so I don't expect them to "kill" anything off until after that, and they might keep the servers up for a long time to keep accepting people's money. But I expect a reduction in staff dedicated to the All Access titles and very little, if any, new development on any of the All Access titles.

Just my prophecy is all :)