Everything is overtuned

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Regazozo, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Mintalie Augur

I see absolutely zero reason for any casual player to do Beta. As it stands, the devs ignored 95% of the feedback from raiders saying it's overtuned. Why would a casual want to go die repeatedly to echo that same sentiment and be ignored? Zero return on investment.
  2. Zamiam Augur

same :) I learned after the last 2 fiasco's , plus they really didnt offer anything in this expansion as far as pre- order bonus or spectacular in the premium or collection editions .. I'm not saying I wont purchase the expansion but i'll be waiting awhile maybe even till it goes on sale not sure yet..
  3. Zamiam Augur

they did offer a cap :p for beta testers lol
    Pirlo likes this.
  4. Claudi Elder

gave up Beta after 2 weeks cause all posts from casuals were ignored. Will stay in EQ but play EoK and RoS instead. Didn't buy TBL for my alts. When I am done with RoS will take a break for a few months. For those saying there has always been hard expansions - yes but at I could always kill decently even in GoD, UF, etc.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

No, they don't ignore all of the feedback. They aren't going to REPLY to every post, nor are they going to implement every single thing someone says... if they did, they wouldn't have time to actually get any work on the expansion done.

But if the casual players DON'T come to beta, the tuning won't be done correctly. /shrug.
  6. Pirlo Augur

That's very peculiar...
    Sounds like a broken mission .
    we better get clarification from the devs in case they decide to suspend people who are beating this trial by not taking the boss just like people are worried that we are bypassing the smoke trial lockout....
  7. Maedhros High King

You have had bad RNG, but are you serious? 2x diminished muhbis out of 6 missions is crazy, thats 95%+ as good as ROS RAID gear. Do the math.
  8. Claudi Elder

Yes they do. If they wouldn't then they would at least tune it down for 1 week or so. It is useless to be in Beta as a casual when you only manage to do the first 2 quests and die in doing so a zillion times.
  9. enclee Augur

I'll beta test, if they pay me.

Let's be honest though, these aren't the types of beta of yesteryear. These are just paid demos. Betas are done too close to launch to actually have an impact on the finished product. This isn't exclusive to DBG, it's industry-wide just look at WoW: Battle for Azeroth & Fallout 76.
    NeverPayForLag and Pirlo like this.
  10. Took2summmit Elder

*sigh* silly kids. I've never once addressed anything about you or close to you in general. Literally all I say is that I'm lfg. But I see what you did there. You're trying to make people think I lied about you flat out ignoring me by trying to deflect it to some random thing about general that anyone that plays on xegony knows never happened.

I did trial of three last night with my paladin playing the primary healer, there was a group asking in general for a healer and I had to practically twist their wrists to convince them to let me join the group as healer. You guys talk about how you need 2 healers spam healing blah blah blah, my paladin just solo healed one of, if not the most, AE intensive battles. We had very bad geared players (including myself) and a mage that was going down to 5-0% hp after each AE.
    Tucoh likes this.
  11. Axxius Augur

It's definitely a welcome challenge... for raid geared players (except for insane magic resistances that need to be tuned down for everybody). Casual groups need not apply.

I can see how this happened though. It's a product of the gear mudflation. TBL offers the biggest H/E/M increases of any recent EQ expansions. TBL group gear tops out at about the same level as RoS raid gear. That must be why the content behind Stratos is tuned so high. The devs expect the casual players to spend a lot of time in Stratos, gear up in T1 stuff, then move on to T2 zones and gear up there, and eventually have almost the same gear as RoS raid stuff.

There are two big problems with this approach:
    1. Stratos is too small and boring to gear up there. Only one zone available at the start is a mistake.
    2. In order to move on from Stratos, you need to beat the Smoke Trials. And those are overtuned. A casual group may eventually beat 1 or 2 easier ones (Wending Ways or The Three). But they need all 5 to really 'move on' and get permanent access to Empyr/Aalishai. And that means the Lava trial too. Good luck to any casuals on that.
    In order for this design to even start working, two changes are required immediately:
    1. Nerf the Smoke Trials. Given their role as the road block preventing casual players from accessing all but 1 zone, they need to be among the easiest content of the expansion, as opposed to the hardest (the current state).
    2. Nerf the magic resistance across the board, especially in Esianti and Mearatas.
    And when it's possible to actually gear up and progress with appropriate gear and debuffs - then take another look at the damage values.
  12. Tucoh Augur

I'm not complaining! But assuming they drop from trials that's 2x out of 12 missions (6 trials, 6 non trial missions).

And it's not 95% as good as RoS raid gear because the focus are still group gear level.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  13. Axxius Augur

Lava trial comes to mind. That one fits right into the 'obscene' category. Every 30 sec your healer gets stunned for 4.5s :(
    NeverPayForLag and Elyssanda like this.
  14. Mintalie Augur

Right, which is why I didn't say they ignore all of the feedback. I said they ignored 95% of it... and, well, it's just a guess, but that's certainly what it feels like when comparing beta to live.
  15. Axxius Augur

They drop from any missions and rares.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Tucoh like this.
  16. Maedhros High King

I've had a lot better luck on the diminished muhbis, probably 12x on the 25 or so missions I've done.
    I will concede on the focuses, but the stats are in the 95%+ range. I think its safe to call this the best group gear in the history of Everquest, not counting the chase loots that were equal to EOK raid gear at the time.
  17. Tucoh Augur

Is that Trial of the Ashes of Rusted Cliff's Glory? It's the only one I haven't done yet.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  18. Tucoh Augur

12x on 25 missions is a pretty high drop rate! Hopefully my luck will change.
  19. Tolzol Augur

While I’m not arguing that some of the group content isn’t overtuned, I could see the difficulty of trying to tune things right from a dev point of few. There is a very large skill gap in the EQ population. I’ll use my class as an example I’ve seen raid geared zerkers that can’t even do 50% of my dps while on my group geared zerker box im able to do roughly 75% of my own dps. I wouldn’t know how to tune for that either. Second most of beta is done by raiders. So as a dev I’d imagine they would take raiders complaining it’s too hard as you just expect to steamroll everything. I could see why they wouldn’t want that to be the case either but it’s unfair to the groupers.
    The main issues I’ve seen with this expansion is the resistance in mobs and the ae damage output. It’s one thing to give nameds those abilities but for regular trash mobs i agree it’s too much. Seems they’ve already tuned the melee dmg output down some so that’s good. I’m sure most of the issues with tuning will get looked into for those freaking out about it. But i don’t agree that you should be able to box your way through an entire expansions progression unless your very skilled at boxing. One thing i will agree with most of you is locking zones behind progression is dumb. I can see maybe one zone being locked behind progression like VP was but not all.
    NeverPayForLag, xcitng, Pirlo and 2 others like this.
  20. Mintalie Augur

Agreed, and this expansion seems to be tuned around the top 5% (if that) of the population, which just seems counterintuitive. We all wish that the player base was more skilled, but they're not, and making the content harder doesn't make them better. It makes them quit.

If too many people quit the game, it will cease to exist.