New Daybreak Game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by AlmarsGuides, Dec 12, 2018.

1. segap Augur

What? No love for Geocities?
  2. That0neguy Augur

I could be mistaken here but Fortnight was very late to the game. H1Z1 was the first battle royale, followed up by PUBG, only then did Fortnight follow suit.
  3. Horyuken Augur

The circle of life!
  4. Herodotus Augur

I say we all bring back Zork on mainframes. Fun times.
    Tatanka and Fanra like this.
  5. Ceffener Augur

And PubG came after playerunkown left SoE. They were actually ahead of the curve again, just couldn’t capitalize on it.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Friendface is what they use instead of Facebook on the TV show "The IT Crowd" (the British version). The audience gets that they are talking about Facebook when they mention Friendface. ;)
    Pirlo and moogs like this.
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You're right about EQ2 coming before WoW, but it doesn't refute the overall point.

The purpose of EQ2 was to REPLACE EQ1, not supplement it. So much of EQ1 was/is hardcoded and shoddily made (it was based on a tank game ffs) that they decided it would be more worthwhile to start over rather than try and bring EQ1 up to modern standards and they really expected people would stop playing EQ1 and go play EQ2 instead.

Except players didn't. Some did, sure. Some went to WoW, but a large portion didn't want to give up EQ so it's stuck around. But despite that die-hard loyalty EQ always remained the red-headed step-child of SOE/DBG where they refused to put the money into it that other games got.

EQ:
    [IMG]
    Pirlo and Brutalis-trak like this.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL, if you could find an old mainframe that still worked, it'd probably be cheaper than the run of the mill PC.

Unless you considered its scrap value. Probably a couple grand just in copper alone ;)
  9. That0neguy Augur

There are still thousands of mainframes working out there. Every time you make a bank transaction, book a flight, supply chain for many companies.
  10. Herodotus Augur

But do they have Zork loaded. Bring back Zork! Bring back Zork!

Seriously, Zork was my gateway game that led eventually to my EQ addiction. I spent a LOT of hours mapping and figuring it out. No internet back then and was a great way to exercise my mind and waste time. It still amazes me that I did graduate on time from college with a decent GPA.
  11. Garcielle Journeyman

12. AcemoneyFV Augur

And now Call of Duty's Black Out game mode has pretty much taken over. Obviously Fortnite will be around for a bit but Call of Duty definitely learned and finally made something better.
  13. Jontrann Augur

Gonna laugh my off if its a mobile game.

DON"T YOU ALL HAVE PHONES? YOU HAVE A PHONE RIGHT?
  14. Feznik Elder

It will be a mobile or Battle Royale game, Daybreak is always about 5-6 years behind the industry. Then they'll wonder why their game didn't turn a profit, it will be another failed project, like the other 8-10 projects over the last 15 years. On top of that it will be money EQ1 or EQ2 generated to fund the making of this game.
  15. That0neguy Augur

I think you vastly underestimate the margins of software development.
  16. Laronk Augur

PS1 PS2 and dcuo all are money makers
  17. a_librarian Augur

Neat, though the 'arena' part is totally unlike the FPS gameplay I think of when I think Planetside. Maybe it's a mobile game
  18. Lisard Silly

will this new game have forums i can complain about not being able to log into their new game and beat it day 1?

asking for a friend...
    Pirlo, Fanra and IblisTheMage like this.
  19. Herodotus Augur

Would this work?

I am an old order dwarf with definite Luddite tendencies and I fear change.
  20. Herodotus Augur

Bah. Won't let me post images of a cup and string phone.