What are your favorite things to forage?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mintalie, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Mintalie Augur

Curious where and what people forage. Shard's Landing has been great for Planar Energy Shards and Planar Goo. It's been my go-to for a while.

What about zones in TBM, EoK, and RoS? And what about old-school places for in-demand things in today's game?
  2. xcitng Augur

I forage for what i need. There are some that afk forage which is against the eula, it is pretty easy to see who those are in bazaar.
  3. Buri Augur

the LDoN dungeons have some forage items that are used in smithing tempers and such. Many of them you can't get anywhere else.

Taelosian tea leaves are marketable

Frost Turnip from Everfrost is needed for Northman tailoring needle and spirit stone. I'm sure there are many other items like this, but it's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
  4. Aurastrider Augur

Beer and leftover pizza from my kitchen. Both require very low skill to obtain and are very common. You do have to be at least level 21 to gain your beer foraging skills though or play a female toon. For some odd reason they have a superior skill at obtaining alcohol when they want it.
    Rolaque, Conq, Yinla and 2 others like this.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Or be able to grow a full beard at 16. Not that I had any experience with that ;)
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

This is where the female dwarf has the upper hand being both female and having a beard most men would be envious of.
    Tatanka likes this.
  7. moogs Augur

No, those are just the resellers.
    Aurastrider likes this.
  8. xcitng Augur

Wrong, the afk foragers put up far more items on bazaar sellers than the resellers buy, and some put up many thousands of some items.
  9. xcitng Augur

There is one reseller on my server that i see buys up some items if anyone sells them cheaper than him/her and resells them at crazy high prices. Then others that put up those items also set thier sell price high, usually just a little cheaper, thus causing the price of those items to go way up.

Should have said that afk foragers sell many items for ts to 350 at too high of a price for that reseller to buy and resell.
  10. Aurastrider Augur

I am with moogs on this one. Yes afk foragers are a problem but most of those sellers with stacks of mats have a barter buying them from everyone on the server. Unless someone has hundreds of foraging bots across different zones there is no way they can keep up with demand for a lot of items.
  11. xcitng Augur

Ok, it seems some people are totally in the dark about afk foragers. The ones that have thousands at a time up for sale spend days on some foragers then put them up, rinse/repeat. Some only put up a couple thousand and take thier foragers from zone to zone foraging ts items that people need to get ts to 350, some only do the to 350 ts items foraging. Yes, some buyers resell some items they don't use in ts, or have to many of, but it is far less items than the afk botters & foragers sell.
  12. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

I couldn't give you a list of forages that people need in abundance. I will say that if you have a high foraging skill/AAs I would advertise your services in general.

I know I spent millions doing Artisan's Prize though not all of it was foraged stuff. I hooked up with two different rangers and gave them each small shopping lists as I was working. Paid 2-5k per thing that I needed and they'd run off to some horrible zone (Ocean of Tears, Guk LDoNs, etc.) and bring back what I needed. I even had them do some fishing for me.

I usually asked for 4-5 of whatever it was just to head off failures and I knew there were guildies that were coming up behind me that would need the same.
    Mintalie likes this.
  13. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I'd like to forage my time back. EQ foraging is nothing but automatic loot box opening, much like EQ fishing. Enjoying it is a compulsion, dealing with it as a part of the "game" is tedious at best.

IMHO :D
  14. Aurastrider Augur

The afk botters are a whole different animal and in reality will obtain more useful items than the afk foragers. As someone who use to run a barter for years buying tons of mats and also foraging like a crazy person I can tell you that there is no way my foraging toon would ever in a million years obtain more items than my barter toon. For example when I would kill in shards landing for weeks at a time my ranger would forage every time the ability was up. His skill was 265 at the time which was max I believe before the new AA's. I would average 1-2 planar energy shard an hour via foraging. So in a 24 hour period an afk foraging toon might expect between 25-50 range. On the other hand my barter would buy hundreds of these some times per day.

From my experience 1-2 rare forage items per hour seems to be pretty accurate with a skill of 265 in every zone I have foraged in which is a lot. So even if someone could manage to average 2 per hour being afk 24 hours a day it would take them over 20 days to get one stack. In order to actually supply their trader and keep up with demands at this rate they would need dozens of these afk forage bots all over the globe. I am not saying this doesn't happen but again I don't think its nearly as common in these numbers as the afk killing machines that will make way more in loot than foraging toons ever will. Most of the people you see with stack after stack are probably afk killing or run a barter full time.
  15. xcitng Augur

Well, on my server it may play different than on yours, i have been in zones to forage some things and see the same 3 or 4 afk foragers ... then a few days, or so later, i see the items foraged in those zones for sale in bazaar, sometimes like 7 or 8 thousand of them. I have no clue how long they were in the zone before i even went there a couple times. It isn't just the ones that put up thousands to sell, it's also the ones that put up ts items to 350 that no one in buyer is even buying, those are foraged from many different zones and the seller has/had 100 to 4 or 5 hundred for sale.

Not going to go back & forth with you here about this anymore, I know what I've seen and what I saw when doing ts and needed to buy items I didn't have time to forage for.
  16. Madmax1939 Lorekeeper

Some of it could also be someone came back to play with a big hoard or also was in a now defunct guild and they raided the guild bank and dumped all the items on a barter buyer. I've had it happen to me not so much anymore but years ago huge amounts of stuff from single sellers. I don't resell tradeskill items but the amounts of some things I've received boggle the mind. Could also be re sellers dumping on me if i ran the price up to much I guess.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I have a question related to buyers, but not foraging specifically.

I needed to raise some plat the other day, and I've been saving everything tradeskill related for years. I have thousands of diamonds and blue diamonds, so I went to look at the buyer prices, and to my shock, they were lower than what an NPC merchant would pay. Why would anybody sell to them? Seems kinda strange.

Also, since EQ doesn't tell you the plat price of items, or their trib value, on the tooltips (one of my pet peeves), I was curious what other items which people might have stocked up in storage, would be worth a lot at the vendors. I don't feel like emptying my houses and hauling everything to a merchant, just to find out which items sell well ;)
  18. Aurastrider Augur

This is common actually for some players to try and take advantage of players who don't know the price of goods. There are buyers who will literally buy vendor trash but well below what a vendor will pay. They are like that merchant in dead hills next to teek who tries to RIP you off. Just like that merchant I boycott these buyers. It's amazing how many people they trick too. I have know people who sell to these guys thinking they were getting top dollar when they were actually getting ripped off.

As far as selling materials to vendors most don't sell for much. Tinkering stuff seems to have the highest prices overall but depending on the item you might make more selling to other players.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thanks!
  20. Madmax1939 Lorekeeper

I would just sell the diamonds and blue diamonds to vendors like the above vendor said the bottom feeders just put up low ball prices to take advantage of people. Not sure why any buyer even buys those within a couple days of a server being up there is hundreds to buy off of the main traffic vendors. I keep a couple hundred of each on me just because they are in a surprising amount of recipes. Just quicker to have everything on hand. I try to always expand what i buy in barter, my thinking is if someone sells me one item its easier to just sell the next item they are going to sell to me again. I try not to go to low either even if i can, as I fear that the seller will feel ripped off and will start going to another buyer.

I see it in bazaar as well items for sale that are not even tradeskilled tagged like ethernere diamonds and for much higher prices then the vendor would pay. Don't understand why the seller is wasting space on his merchant trying to move these.