top pulling classes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Damezza, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Damezza Augur

will someone please rank the top 5 pulling classes in order? i.e. which are less situational and more reliable for breaking camps and whatnot?
  2. code-zero Augur

1. Bards
    Tied for 2nd place:
    2.Monks

2.Necro

2.Ranger

2.Shadowknight

With the various fade abilities most classes currently have breaking camps can be situationally done better or worse by a number of classes
  3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Pull them all, burn them down. Camp broken.
    Alekzandre, Pirlo, Gundolin and 3 others like this.
  4. took2summit11 Augur

Enchanter should definitely be tied in the 2nd place category imo, no?
    Rizzin likes this.
  5. ~Mills~ Augur

Based on how they nerfed necromancer fade to 90% and capped it at the lower level the dev(s) don't agree with you about necromancers!
  6. Tucoh Augur

Pirlo and code-zero like this.
  7. Gnomeland Augur

For general crowd control, enchanters > all.

For pulling only, bards > all.

I'd say enchanters are basically gods in any area where most of their spells work, but there are areas where none of their spells work and that's where bards come in.
    Rizzin and code-zero like this.
  8. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

As an SK and monk player, I would have to give the pulling edge to monks, at least for complex or constant pulls.

However, as @smokezz said, pulling is generally wasted effort if you have a real tank: it is far more efficient and faster to just pull everything at once. Sometimes I'm lazy and think I'll just try to pull the ph's so I don't have to waste time fighting everything. But when I do that, I spend so much time on the pulls that I don't actually save any time overall, I just kill less.
    Gundolin likes this.
  9. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

As a real tank on Live, I find pulling AND crowd control (mezzing/charming/etc.) is almost always more trouble than it is worth. Specific notes from this tank:
    • As a tank, I pull what I want to kill. If I pull 4 mobs, I intend to tank 4 mobs. And unless I say otherwise, I WANT all four of them hitting me! I also only pull when I am ready to tank the mobs I pull. This is safe.
    • Except in rare, mob-specific situations, there is almost no way for somebody else to pull more safely and efficiently than the tank. I have never seen a non-tank puller who checks before each pull to see if the tank and healer are ready. And if they did, it would still be less efficient than if the tank pulled. A puller is usually an unnecessary middle man.
    • While other class roles can perform crowd control, the tank role NEEDS to be in control of the battle. If you use crowd control without letting your tank know, you are jeopardizing the group, not saving it.
    • CC without communication. If you aren't telling your tank ahead of time and also each time you cast, then you aren't helping, you're making it worse. Pretty much always.
    • While the CC'er may think they just saved the day, they don't realize that the tank and dps just wasted their discs on mobs that they can't attack (if mobs are charmed). Also, the toon that is doing the CC is NOT doing dps (or worse, not healing, if it's a druid doing punting). So even if CC doesn't result in a problem, it is almost always a huge loss of group efficiency.
    • Punting without tank approval: just never. If you punt or otherwise CC a mob, I will chase it and focus on it to protect the group until I figure out what you did. That is dangerous.
    Crowd control abilities are excellent tools and I use them! And I have seen them save the day! But like any tool, in the wrong hands or without communication, they are more dangerous (and certainly less efficient) than they are worth. For me, there have been far more groups where inappropriate CC has caused problems than where it has saved the day.

So many times I have heard a CC'er scream, "Stop breaking mez!", and I have replied with, "Why are you mezzing?!"

On the other hand, on TLP servers (at least in classic/kunark), CC is more powerful and useful :) Lack of communication is still a terrible problem, but not as much of a problem as death!

Bottom line: CC without communication is not team friendly, and on live servers it is rarely necessary.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Tanks for what you do.
  11. Spellfire Augur

There was no reason to nerf necro Fade.

I still hope that one day I will click on Patch notes and I will find something like ... Death's Necromantic Effigy is restored to ... Cancel Aggro up to level + 5 (100% Chance) and Cast: Evader's Invisibility on Success ....
    GoneFission likes this.
  12. Damezza Augur

Trying to come up with an ideal duo box. I used to run chanter mage. Was thinking of beast/ranger with ranger has pull bot and auto fire after pull.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I gotta say, earlier this year, I did my first consistent grouping in EQ in years. I was shocked how good the tanking was compared to years ago. More AAs, more tools, more HPs, more tools for the healers, etc. For full groups (no mercs), pulling 4 and 5 at a time just wasn't a big deal (well, in EoK. RoS we kept it to 3 or so). Modern EQ really is a different game compared to years ago. Made me realize that may be another attraction for the TLPs. It's not just the nostalgia for the zones and quests, it's the flow of the fights, too.
  14. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I would try a tank/priest combo, specifically an SK & druid (or shammy). See how powerful it is, and then try other combinations.

In my experience, other combos can work and can be fun and flashy, but will usually run into situations where you will need help from a real tank. Whereas, a tank/priest combo can beat just about anything and also forms the backbone of any group, in case you ever want to add more toons or real players.
  15. Damezza Augur

The feedback I’m getting is that i won’t have enough play time to properly gear a tank
  16. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I definitely agree! Love it or hate it, TLP is different and so are the strats.
  17. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

You might be surprised! If you're with a group of friends, they will probably help you out. If you're by yourself, you go as fast as you go - the only one watching the clock is you :)
  18. took2summit11 Augur

This, in my opinion, is largely overblown by a lot of people. I just bought a heroic paladin a month ago. I got him to level 106 now with zero help/PL and I’ve also had zero help in gear. Go to TBM ASAP and you can adequately gear all the way to 105. At 106 Conflagrant is incredibly cheap (10-20k for non-visible) and I had about 700k saved up just from all the merchant fodder I got from 85-106. For visibles, just watch ooc. People call on rots in EOK and ROS all the time. I had full EOK T1 minus legs and helm by the time I actually hit 106 and could wear it. As for all the extra cool and neat things like heroic AA/special clicks/artisan earring...sure these take time and are helpful but they are by no means needed for the group game. At least what I’ve seen so far. I can tank 3 at a time no problem in EOK atm and 4 with the right discs up. One last note, I’ve literally only done auto-grant AA which stop at 100. Here I am at 106 and still doing fine. I greatly look forward to completing all these things where tanking will be even easier than it is already.

EDIT: Don’t be scared of rolling a tank! It’s not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I was nervous at first also and the allure of rolling a mage and slapping an EM earring is high.
    Alekzandre and NameAlreadyInUse like this.
  19. Gundolin Augur

Full group should be able to pull 4 & 5's with pets tanking, real tanks always make it easier but I feel like the games been geared toward 3 players plus 3 mercs. Mixing a poorly balanced group of six isn't much of a problem.
  20. Damezza Augur

Rangers work as well as chanters, Necros and monks!?