Question on getting XP at level 109...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tatanka, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

So, I dinged 109 last night (yay me), and noticed that I have gained no visible XP at all since. I am F2P, have AA XP set to 0%, and had been leveling nicely at 108 (about 6%/lesson, in an area with light blues). At 109, everything is still light blue, and I've killed about 35-40 mobs since dinging, in the exact same manner as when I was 108 (i.e. with a merc).

It's not just that I haven't hit 109.01 yet, it's that the UI XP bar is completely empty (i.e., no pixels visible). 1% of a level is easily visible in this UI, so no pixels at all over 35-40 mobs seems wrong. I have been getting party XP messages, so EQ says I'm getting XP. I'm just not seeing it.

So, my question is, is 109 really that bad (like 10x more than 108), or am I bugged somehow?

Thanks,
    Tat

Update - finally found an old thread from January. Seems it will be 50-80 light blue mobs per 1%, with a merc. Perhaps my UI doesn't show any pixels until you hit 1 full percent, so that's why none is showing. Since I'm getting XP messages, I'll assume it's working, for now.
  2. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

It’s not you or anything you’re doing wrong. 109 is a bit of a hell level. If you’re grinding in FM it’ll take a while - try to find an ros zone group :)
    ForumBoss likes this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL, I'm in RoF, gathering some collections (the kill ones take forever!). So, it'll take longer than that.

I remember the old hell levels (39 & 49? something like that), but those were just 4-5 times the previous level. This is at least 7 or 8 times as much as level 108. They really went for broke on this one ;)

I'm not really concerned that it goes fast. My reason for posting was just that I was concerned it wasn't letting me level at all. Reading that old thread and running the numbers, I'm pretty sure I haven't made enough for 1% yet, so I'll kill another 40-50 mobs, and see if I get 1% by then.
  4. Rowlen Journeyman

Level 109 is hell, but not 7 or 8 times of 108. From my experience Level 108 experience was like 2 x exp needed for 107, and 109 like 3 times exp needed for 107 (or 1.5 * exp of 108).

I think you're Problem is that RoF mobs give really less exp in 109. Maybe try EoK or RoS Mobs instead.
  5. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Gawd. Defn find a way to beg, steal, or borrow your way into a ROS group.
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

The game reward system is designed with the intent of having players always move to newest content.

Even EoK is bad xp at 107+.

RoS is not as easy xp as EoK was, which of course makes xp a more rare comodity than it was a year ago, IMO. EoK also had a lot of AA that people had to grind out, 7k vs RoS 4k, if I remember correct.

Xping in anything lower than EoK does not make a lot of sense, get into a dungeon in RoS for best current xp, is my guess.
  7. svann Augur

Im surprised you even got to 109 in RoF. They massively nerfed xp there when you hit 101.
  8. Inagaki Elder

Exp in RoF and older expansions was nerfed for lvl 101+ in Nov 2014. That nerf was un-done in Mar 2015 for kill exp and quest exp that rewards without quest reward window. Quest exp that requires clicking quest reward window remains nerfed.
    Wayylon and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  9. Inagaki Elder

OP states clearly that he is in RoF for collections as his first goal and exp as his side goal.

When people who frequent the forums jump to a conclusion that people should stay away from older content for exp, it only depresses casual players from sharing their comments and experiences on the forum. If it shouldn't be done in the Veteran's forum, that's fine. Let it be done in the Newbie forum then.

I am seeing lvl 103-106 exping in HoT/VoA and lvl 108-110 exping in RoF. In some of the favored Lesson areas, we need to check if anyone else is doing Lesson in order to stay out of each other's way. I've personally heard an /ooc camp check in Sanctum Somnium from a lvl 105 who was there for an exp round. Some camps in Shard's Landing are almost perma-camped by lvl 106+.

It's a different world out there, outside of the forums. Granted, the amount of mobs in these areas cannot sustain more than a few players. So perhaps it only works because these areas are not over-populated.
  10. Febb Augur

It's a fact that experience in RoF was nerfed. Trying to get the best bang for your buck for experience at level 109 will be much slower in RoF zones. The people above were informing them of the best place to go for quick experience. Sharing factual information isn't going to depress casuals, it will actually help cheer them up once they see their experience bar move much faster.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

As I said in my OP, I was getting ~6% of a level on a Lesson in PoS. So, to get less than 1% in ~1.5 Lessons seems like a pretty drastic drop. And as I also had said, the XP was secondary.

My main question was if I was getting any XP at all, since i saw no movement in the bars (even a less than 1% move). My guess is, the bar only moves when you hit a full percentage point. I'll find out soon enough.
  12. Toruch Fleshrot Augur

109 is definitely hard. I'm root rotting trees in FM for lesson. Getting about 3% level per lesson with 10% going to AA. It's slow.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Quick update:

Didn't play for a few days, just got on tonight, and hunted yetis in Lcea to see what happened.

Anyway, before tonight, I had killed 42 mobs in PoS, molo, all were light blue, around level 100. Result: no XP showed on bar. Those kills were all under Lesson.

Tonight, hit the yetis in Lcea, solo (so, yes, getting more XP/mob, since there's no merc), also under Lesson. Very first kill put me to 109.01, so XP is working (yay!). After that, every 3 mobs added 1%. Mobs were mostly light blue (~103).

So, if I assume I was close to 1% XP from the PoS kills, it looks like I was getting about 7.5x more XP from the yetis, accounting for solo vs. molo. So, it looks like the ZEMs for EoK/RoS are WAY higher than the RoF zones. I knew they were higher, I didn't think they were that high.

So, if you hit 109, and you want to level quickly to 110, stay in EoK/RoF. Otherwise, you may not see the bar move for a while, but you are getting XP, just very slowly.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I wish that all those posters who say you cannot level very high or play in EOK as a free player note his level and that he is F2P and level 109.

Gratz!
  15. Tucoh Augur

Just as a general comment on leveling, I get that for many people (including me), grouping is pretty difficult because we have to jump up at a moments notice to take care of this or that. But the game is entirely geared toward grouping way beyond the 80% group experience bonus.

EQ has always been like that, but it's even more so than it used to be back in the trinity+DPS days, because just about every class contributes ADPS, mana/end regen, healing, utility and other buffs to each other. My group-geared warrior does some 40k DPS moloing, but in the right group that shoots up to 200k DPS sustained.

If you're good slowly chomping through the game, more power to you, but EQ is about leveraging group gameplay and social (or boxing...) dynamics to progress faster. If at all possible, reach out, make some friends, form a steady group, join a guild with other likeminded players, get in their discord or whatever and soon you'll be in a kicking group pulling mobs en masse and be so busy killing and having fun that you won't even give a about your XP bar.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

True. I was all-access through early 108, earlier this year. Came back recently, and just haven't felt like subbing for now (just playing 1-2 times per week for short sessions). Made most all of 108 to ding 109, and that's where my confusion started. But, yes, F2P can level to 110. The caveat: You DO have to own/have purchased RoS (or the soon-to-be- TBL).

My two biggest surprises: 1 - Just how big the ZEM jump is for EoK. Or, perhaps, that RoF XP really gets nerfed once you hit 109. 2 - How easy 109 will be if I stay in EoK (hint: I won't, I'll go back to RoF to finish all the collections I'm working on). Seriously, 1%/3 mobs, solo?

That's really not that bad. I had read in this post, last spring: "At 109 I grinded in a 6-player ( real player ) group this morning for 4 hours, killing 1 mob about every 30 seconds. In 4 hours I gained 18% of level... It is just horribly, horribly bad." https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/advice-for-grinding-through-kill-109.246448/

Now, maybe that wasn't in EoK/RoS, but it kind of implied it was.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yep, that's me :)
  18. Aurastrider Augur

It is slow doing most things outside of EOK/ROS but if you have older things you want/need to do it might be worth doing them with the idea that experience is just a side bonus. I went back and did COTF progression when my toons were all half way into 108. Doing progression, collections and hunter I was able to get half way into 109. My primary goal was not for xp so it was a nice bonus. From there I hunted goblins in FM and it did not take long to make it to 110 although it was noticeably slower.
  19. AnzoRagespirit Augur

If you can manage to get a Sathir's Tomb group in RoS and can get there safely, DO IT! This zone is BY FAR of of the best xp zones in RoS.

ALTHOUGH it is a small zone only 3 rooms (4 if you count the zone in) so the zone can become quite a grind if more than 15 people are there, but I think the /pick is very low as well.

Eaither way this XP is crazy. Alot of people say Gorowyn is better, but mib density in ST is much better and doesn't require hardly any running around looking for mobs, plus if you can get the 3rd room camp you can camp Xalgoz for his Aug and power sources.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Just thought I'd leave a quick update, in case it will help others in the future getting through level 109.

Grand total, for me, to get to 110, from dinging 109: 39 calendar days, ~76 hours /played.

The first three weeks, I was just in RoF working on collections, so just getting XP when I needed collections coming from mob drops. Got to about 30% of the way through the level in that time.

Next two weeks were mostly doing CotF HAs (had finished all of the RoF collections), one or two a day, and usually with the Teek bonus quest. Made about 23% of a level doing that, hitting Lesson before the final step.

In the last seven days, I did more HAs, but also threw in several Lessons in EoK, quinting yetis, which of course was very good XP. Didn't fit with the collections approach I've taken, but I decided I should enjoy the bonus XP :)

Anyway, just more data points for those curious about level 109.

And, grats me, 1st time in 18+ years of EQ where I've been max level during the expac where that level was introduced! And, with 5 days to spare ;)