Why delay between LDON adventure requests?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Poyzen Frawg, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Poyzen Frawg Augur

As the Subject Line reads, Why? I'm down to needing one more Rare spawn to complete hunter. I'm spending HOURS trying to simply get the zone I need to spawn it. I get it once every 30 min to an hour. Then of course the Rare needs to spawn.... its been 7 days and I'm not lucky enough yet.

Again, why must we wait a minute (ish) between requests? In fact, in later expansions we can CHOOSE the mission we want to do. Why can't we simply Choose it for LDON?
    Andarriel and snailish like this.
  2. Rickate Augur

Hunter only requires you to be in group, get some alts or friends and chain request LDoN and join the group when appropriate.
    snailish likes this.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

A developer would have to answer this. However, it might be that LDoN actually spins up a zone upon request. Thus, if someone sat there and spammed requests, they would put a large load on the servers.

I believe that later instanced quests instead wait for you to say "ready" or a similar word to the quest NPC before spinning up an instance. Note that most or all of them also have a short timer before you can request it again.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and snailish like this.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

The Arena of Chance is not kind.
    Rajaah likes this.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

The answer would be server load. If you sit there spinning up LDoN instances like mad, all of them take server memory and CPU resources. Server resources are not infinite. A minute is not a long time to have to wait.

And yeah, you might be trying to legitimately get the instance you want. Someone with malicious intent - without a timer there could crash the server if there wasn't a time delay
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

If a minute is life or death there is a way you can bypass it of sorts if you have enough toons. Your main toon starts the initial LDON and while in it a second toon requests a second one and enters to keep it open. When your main toon is done with theirs simply TA your main to the instance your other toon is in and you should not have to wait. This seems like a lot of extra work to save a minute but might work. I know doing this would work with HA's years ago when I did not want to wait the 30 seconds to enter with LOD running.
    snailish likes this.
  7. snailish Augur

Having to wait a minute and just choosing the mission you want are two different things.

OP's request to be able to cherry-pick which mission they want (while still having to wait a minute to request another) would be a positive change for LDoN I think.
    Fanra likes this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

9. Poyzen Frawg Augur

Yes... but even this method results in hours (sometimes) before you get the one you want. Random divergence blows chunks.
  10. snailish Augur

In LDoN's case it (the tedious randomizing) just seems pointless. Most players have never seen most of the named even once (because back in the day many only did certain kinds of missions), and prior to achievements that number was probably a tiny handful... it took achievements to start to realize how many named were bugged (they've fixed lots).

At most... make it as-is for LDoN era and let people cherry-pick as of GoD. I would just make it all cherry-pickable myself, but if there is an arguement/concession to "in-era replay" that probably works.
  11. AlmarsGuides Augur

Daybreak is putting chemicals in the servers that are turning the *** damn frogs gay!
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

Reminds me of a story about two frogloks and a bar. But that could be deemed inappropriate.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I don't see a reason that people should not be able to choose whichever one they wish to do.
    snailish and Nennius like this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

Agreed. It has been OK for this to be true of HA's and I see no practical difference between those and LDON's.
  15. Rickate Augur

The randomizing isn't tedious, it would be much more tedious for people to figure out the max/min Miragul LDoN in era and do the same map. Alternatively with "normal" named with unique loot tables but nothing being camped because of instancing doing the Flurry of Insanity Miragul over and over because it drops a haste belt.

Hunter of LDoN is really tedious but that's by design, the whole point is for a handful of players to having something to do.
  16. Elyssanda Bardbrain

LDoNs dont allow task adds.. have to be in group when requested. they don't run like the HAs of recent years.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

getting the rares that only spawn in the arena blows chunks.

Andarriel
  18. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You're not paying attention. You don't need to be in the zone at all or the expedition at all. Just get the mission, then invite those other people to your RAID before doing so.

Just being in group doesn't do anything, need to be in raid format afaik. Hunter kills work for these old achievements across zones. Either a bizarre bug or something they allowed to let people work together (guessing that, since across zone never worked for any hunters before they did these old expansions).

And complaining about this is absurd. Get over it.
  19. snailish Augur

I'm listening, but not convinced...

-if the concern of letting people pick is that they would pull a "fairy mission" and only do 1 mission over and over you just put a request lockout on the specific mission, even once per every 3 hours would be kinder than what the OP is talking about.

-tedious design is not good design. The sheer quantity of LDoN named is enough of an accomplishment, and enough of a barrier to the masses all doing it.
    svann likes this.
  20. Rickate Augur

Group and raid are the same thing for Hunter.

Game Update Notes: July 19, 2017

- There are now Hunter and Raid achievements for Lost Dungeons of Norrath.
    Orbital101/Goodurden, July 27, 2017
    No, I got the last one I was missing after the patch that i was trying to get the past 2 days

On the 7th day He rested and on the 8th day He finished LDoN Hunter. You have 17 months to complete two Hunters (LDoN and RoS) and it takes at most 120 hours for LDoN, as motivated and resourceful as Goodurden can be He does need some sleep and cannot alter the flow of time. If you don't want to spend 120 hours don't get 1520 ach points with no other benefit.

3 hour lockout is utterly meaningless since you don't have to be in zone, alts and/or fellow ach enthusiasts constantly requesting Arena of Chance would trivialize the achievement. Altering the named mechanics appeals to a subset (people who want it to be easy) within a subset (people who have any interest in completing LDoN Hunter). If it's not worth 7 hours or even 30 minutes of effort per month and going AFK in a raid with a dozen other ach enthusiasts then don't get the achievement.

Tedious is not good design but ask Dzarn about Flipping Tables. At least that is part of improving the Banestrike ability and unlocking a prefix and suffix. LDoN Hunter doesn't even have a prefix or suffix because that would apparently be too much work. EQ Devs deliberately provide opportunities for tedium to the player base unless you think they are so utterly incompetent they are unable to comprehend what they are doing.

If you or I or anyone else wouldn't include tedium in game design is something else entirely but the Devs either have the autonomy or a directive to create tedium in EverQuest. The vast majority of players deal with it by not doing LDoN Hunter. In theory at some point they will pay one or more people to create more tedium in the GoD through SoF and UF expansions. There are occasional posts asking when those Hunters will be implemented so some people do actually desire that "content".