Quality of Life wishes and dreams. What would you want?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Risiko, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Mintalie Augur

I swear they've made it even worse. It was bad before, but now my bot runs off on her own and gets killed when I'm just traveling in a straight line. The struggle is real.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Mizen Baenre Lorekeeper

A merc never gets stuck, so why not make the /follow mechanism the same mechanism that a merc uses to follow it's master?
    Gyurika Godofwar and Risiko like this.
  3. segap Augur

I don't think the problem is that /follow is broken. Yes, it's quirky and you need to learn to work with it, but it's always worked that way and has been functional for nearly 20 years. The problem is the client getting bogged down. Something is seriously wrong when a game designed for hardware over a decade old brings today's hardware to its knees. I can be in a nearly empty zone and have my fps go from 200 to 15 (only one client running on the computer). It's when the fps drops that /follow breaks. If you have Selos and the distance between position updates gets further apart, it gets worse.

Each new expansion seems to be getting worse for client performance. In TBM, it was really only a problem near the center of Life and Decay. In EoK, Lceanium and the mountain area in FM were the trouble spots. In RoS, Gorowyn is the worst. Even in the sparsely populated mission instance, there is a lot of lag.

It looks like they're trying to optimize the client by reducing location updates which is probably making /follow worse as well. If I zone in after an alt, I won't see them until they move. It's like there's no position update being sent. Likewise, I've seen an alt camping in the middle of a zone when they're in fact camping halfway across the zone away. It's this not knowing the correct position that seems to throw /follow in the the running in circles problem.

Mercs are completely controlled by the server. Autofollow is a client side ability. One that allows the one following to still interact with that character to do things like cast, attack, open inventory, chat, etc. Mercs also do get lost. They can get stuck on the wrong side of a zone in a wall. They often take odd paths as they follow npc rules, not player rules. Have you ever noticed as you move through a dungeon that your merc/pets suddenly come running from in front of you to you? They took some oddball path which went through a whole bunch of mobs that likely don't like you (and likely ignored some z-axis rules, doors and/or walls). Imagine if /follow pathed the same way. People would be training themselves (if the follower survived to get to you).

Now you could argue that putting someone on /follow should turn them in to an npc. That then breaks the ability to dungeon crawl with boxes on follow. Or to react if you get aggro while moving through a zone. I don't think the tradeoff for moving boxes to where you want to be is worth the cost.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  4. Zamiam Augur

simple but old solution that does not req /follow
    mage ....:p
  5. Daedly Augur

I thought it has actually been made better since back in like 2014. In particular the ability for autofollow to navigate corners without the need the line of sight adjustments. They will actuall round corners and even obsticles as long as i make small movements at a time.

Best i can tell, there seems to be some kind of thing that when you are with a certain distance, they will turn to face your direction before the follower begins moving. If you get too far away before they get a chance to face you, they will just start running before turning towards you. Then at times not turning until they are close enough to make that adjustment. Causing the circular running or just running completely away from you all together.

So i have had to block bard speed on my characters as they move to fast to make the turning adjustments. I also make them all look straight at the ground to reduce lag issues. Price to pay for boxing i guess.

I have to wonder though, I have read that some of those programs that can play characters for you have autofollow logic that works better than what is in game. If that is indeed the case, maybe if they took a look at how they are accomplishing it and apply some of that work to the in game version, it could be improved with little effort.
  6. Felicite Augur

I would use this so often.

I would buy a new expansion based solely on it having this feature.
  7. Angahran Augur

Option to set hotbutton text color for autogenerated hotbuttons.
    E.g. from the AA window 'mske hotkey'.
    Gyurika Godofwar and moogs like this.
  8. Brohg Augur

Option exists - right click & hold on the hotkey to Assign Label nvm, that doesn't do color
  9. Evurkvest Augur

Food and drink slots in inventory, if those slots are empty no other food/drink in inventory would be consumed.
    Gyurika Godofwar and moogs like this.
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

Saved raid group “sets”, like spell sets, so that raid leaders can cut wasteful time in raids. Will not be perfect, because of varying attendance, but even 80% hit rate will cut a lot of time.
  11. Brohg Augur

I think PoK/Lobby/Hall should strip mounts. Those are not travel zones, there's no call for giantass horses & lizards & bugs & things
    GoneFission likes this.
  12. Zamiam Augur

or a checkbox to hide mounts :p
    ForumBoss likes this.
  13. MiataDriver Augur

Raids actually giving you the currency they are supposed to when you complete them... Barring that, actual customer support to correct the problem.
  14. Password1234 Augur

This seems to be completely arbitrary as well. I've had times when my characters were standing right next to the other, typed /follow, then they proceeded to run in the direction they were facing until they were too far away, never even attempting to turn around. I tried it again with them facing away, and half of the time they would turn immediately and half of the time they would just run straight forward regardless of how far away they were to begin with.

/follow is really bad. My bard goes into orbit sometimes for minutes on end during a fight if I so much as inch forward while /follow ing
  15. Bigstomp Augur

Settings, set background framerate to unlimited. It makes a huge difference.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Harthoon like this.
  16. Evurkvest Augur

Remove the "Close this window" X on UI windows when they are on "Lock". So annoying to have to redo all filers if you accidently close a chat window.
    Harthoon and Brohg like this.
  17. So Happy Augur

Would be nice if they changed up Hot zones again. Maybe pick some that are easier to get to and add higher level ones.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  18. Daedly Augur

A way to manually reset instances after a wipe by talking to the NPC giver? Would need to be vetted for possible exploits, but i hate having to zone in to find out if the mission is reset or not.
  19. svann Augur

or a text in the raid window saying active or reset.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Daedly like this.
  20. Brohg Augur

I would like better indicators in the raid window for those roles that can be assigned to multiple characters. A1 A2 A3 for the Raid Assists, in particular
    Daedly likes this.