Update on server downtime?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Any update on the server downtime?

Banner on the forums still says down for maintainence which was due to end over 2 hours ago.
    Ronove likes this.
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

Well, they edited the original downtime post (a reply would have been more visible, but I digress . . .). That said, the edit says they will keep us updated, but I won't hold my breath.
    Ronove likes this.
  3. Zamiam Augur

on their twitter feed all they say is they are having some issues.. no ETA
    Ronove likes this.
  4. Warpeace Augur

lol
    Ronove likes this.
  5. That One Guy Augur

Yeah how weird is this... They don't even make a reply so it still shows the last reply was the original post yesterday at 2pm... Why wouldn't they just make a reply so it shows there is a new post so people would see it...
    Ronove likes this.
  6. Monkman Augur

If I'm at a restaurant and my server tells me that my steak is going to take 45 minutes to cook, when it comes out in 20 minutes I'm thrilled and amazed! When they tell me it's going to take 20 minutes and it comes out in 45, I am pissed.
    Ronove, Tierwyn and Metanis like this.
  7. That One Guy Augur

I have many memories of playing early 2000s and 8 hour patches were typically half of the time. They always overshot the times. I'm not sure when this changed...
    Ronove likes this.
  8. Verily Tjark Augur

Comparing the resources of 2018 to the resources of early 2000's is unfair to the current EQ team. I hate patches as much as the next person, but this is the norm now... I'm sure they still overshoot patch times, but I would guess that they flat out don't have the resources to fix unforseen issues in a timely manner.

That being said....

WTF DUDE~!!!! I got off work early today and wanted to level up my alt some more! This is ridiculous!! :mad:
    Ronove and Dragon Jockey like this.
  9. Elenderil Lorekeeper

Yinla loooong time no see. What server are you on nowadays?
    Ronove likes this.
  10. bigpapa Augur

we used to be able to get the log in by-pass ( " patchme" ) to work , but it seem to don't work anymore,
    when we had some log in issues,, the patchme bypass was working most of the time...not anymore...............
    Ronove likes this.
  11. Allayna Augur

We quipped that it would be 4 hours and not 2 in guild last night before logging...

Really expected better than 6.5 hours and counting for a "2 hour expected downtime".

Guessing that DBG uses the same math drunks use when pulled over...."only 2 beers, officer".

Let's be clear, this isn't about lost time in game or RL or whatever, it's about communicating clear expectations to your customer base.
  12. Eriadoc Elder

I'm not even sure it's about that anymore. Let's be real - most of us that have watched this movie for 19 years know how it ends. The only people who don't seem to understand are the devs. If they were cognizant of reality and honest about it, they'd just say, "incoming patch and we have no idea what will happen" LOL. Because, you know ... advance testing and stuff.
    Ronove, Chanteren, Sarn and 1 other person like this.
  13. Wuddane Elder

I would say they clearly expected the servers to be down for two hours, had a problem, thought they fixed it, had another problem, trying to fix it...There has been communication, maybe not the most timely as it could have been, but they are trying and I am sure they are busy. The hate that these people receive on patch days is just staggering.

Devs I am sorry you have to read some of these posts...but take it as we love your product and don't know what to do with ourselves when the servers are down. Well, some of us don't know what to do with ourselves...
  14. Bamboompow Augur

Two hour downtime becomes all day. Situation Normal....
    Monthly patch next week too!
    Ronove likes this.
  15. Hailstone New Member

Don't worry, they'll give us a bonus on the weekend.....even though the people who can play on the weekend aren't the ones being inconvenienced.
    Ronove likes this.
  16. Roxxlyy Augur

This was not a regular patch, but a backend maintenance that caused some unexpected server issues. Operations is working to resolve these issues now, but unfortunately I do not have an update as to how long this might take. We'll do our best to provide updates as they become available.
    Brohg, andross77, Sarn and 1 other person like this.
  17. Pleasantvalley Journeyman

How is this even remotely acceptable service from a company that charges us to use it's product...
    Ronove likes this.
  18. Pleasantvalley Journeyman

Remove subscriptions and make it a cash shop based game if you guys can't properly do patches and keep the servers up. With how many subscriptions we pay for you should be able to hire enough employees so this kind of stuff never happens. Also run your maintenance and patches on a Test Server first before you break things on the main servers. This is almost a monthly occurrence for you guys offering outrageously unprofessional and unstable services.
    Ronove likes this.
  19. Abbydog Journeyman

Relax, guys. Its an old system. Something buggered up the login server after the server maintainence . AS Roxxlyy said, they are working on it but not knowing what exactly is wrong its hard to give an ETA. They aren't intentionally keeping us out of the game. We have to trust they are doing their best to fix the issue and will get us back up and running ASAP
    Ronove and Sendai like this.
  20. lancelove Augur

Time to order a pizza and sip on a cold beer! You guys are like drowning people~
    Ronove and Sendai like this.