Time’s Antithesis ? Agnarr Progression Server

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Drexzer, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Drexzer New Member

11 clears no TA :-( really losing confidence with this item and these raids
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Did you do the prequest?
    Boze likes this.
  3. Khaliss Augur

oh that sucks... got mine on the first run last weekend, but on a live server (FV)
  4. Raltar Augur

It is an incredibly rare item. We only had 2 drop in 6 months of farming on Ragefire.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Took me 29 weeks in era to obtain mine as a shaman main at the time. Think I got our 2nd or 3rd one overall. They don’t call Saryrn the lady of agony without good cause. RNG will RNG. Good luck to you sir.
  6. Drexzer New Member

but they claim my luck has just been bad? I mean this literally seems like one of the rarest time items and it seems every single person ive talked to has had this same bad luck.... Addictions has got two in 5 months, before they broke up trucidation went months without one...
  7. Raltar Augur

That's just how some things are. Really, single class use items should be pretty rare because there can only be so many on a raid.
  8. Ngreth Thergn Developer

It's not that rare. (IMO) it looks like some persistent bad luck.
    There is a 100% chance that NPC will drop one of the following 5 items. The chance of each is evenly split, so 20% chance for each on death:

Shroud of Provocation
    Runewarded Belt
    Time's Antithesis
    Gloves of the Unseen
    Veil of Lost Hopes
    Selerra and Metanis like this.
  9. mackal Augur

Does that table drop twice even? Or is there just a 3rd table with some of those items again? (creeping youtube so far I've found only videos were she drops 1 from the other 5 and 2 from these)

EDIT: looks like different table? Of course I finally find a video where it's 2 from the other 5 now :p
  10. Skeetari Lorekeeper

@Ngreth

What’s the tables look like for Darkblade of the Warlord? We have only gotten one in the entire time PoP has been active... Took 5 clears to get one, back on July 1st. Haven’t seen one since. So, roughly 20 clears for 1 blade.

TA was rare on Phinny, but not this bad. Can you verify the drop rates by chance? It makes me sad.
  11. Ryak Augur

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=20% chance 11 times

After 11 chances, you roughly had a

9% chance of getting 0 TAs
    23% chance of getting 1
    30% chance of getting 2
    22% chance of getting 3
    12% chance of getting 4
    3% chance of getting 5
    2% chance of getting 6 or more

The 'expected' number of drops was 2.2

9% isn't astronomically unlikely by any means. Although you didn't know the drop rate at the time you posted this, obviously.
  12. Ngreth Thergn Developer

also 20%

ITEM_LIST_DESCRIPTION ITEM_PERCENT NAME
    TIMBRallos1 16 Shield of Strife
    TIMBRallos1 16 Sandals of Empowerment
    TIMBRallos1 16 Pauldrons of Devastation
    TIMBRallos1 16 Pants of Furious Might
    TIMBRallos1 16 Band of Primordial Energy
    TIMBRallos1 20 Darkblade of the Warlord

TREASURE_CLASS_DESCRIPTION ITEM% ITEM_# ITEM_LIST_ID
    TIMBRallos1 100 1 TIMBRallos1

(so 100% chance to do table TIMBRallos1 which has 5 items at 16% and 1 (the blade) at 20%)
  13. Zanados Lorekeeper

So I was a bit bored, I decided to comb through our DKP system for the total amount of each item listed from RZtW above.

Phinigel was in PoP/LDoN for about 6 months. We did not raid Time officially after GoD went live, so this was all "in era".

Shield of Strife- 6
    Sandals of Empowerment- 3
    Pauldrons of Devastation- 8
    Pants of Furious Might- 7
    Band of Primordial Energy- 4
    Darkblade of the Warlord- 3

Total items looted- 31. If you assume 31 total instances, percentages observed were:

Shield of Strife- 19.35%
    Sandals of Empowerment- 9.67%
    Pauldrons of Devastation- 25.8%
    Pants of Furious Might- 22.58%
    Band of Primordial Energy- 12.9%
    Darkblade of the Warlord- 9.67%

General conclusion: RNG gonna RNG
  14. doah Augur

Ngreth, Wouldn't it be 20% per item roll? I think Prathun said at one point each item had its own roll for what may drop. Or is loot slot 1 specific to that loot table then the other 2 slots are a larger or different loot table?
  15. Prathun Developer

In cases where the treasure class association has multiple rolls, each roll is made independently.
    In cases where the treasure table has more than 1d1 rolls, each roll is made independently.
    But those don't apply in the cases above.

The examples that Ngreth has posted about are treasure tables with a single roll, that have a 100% chance to be called, and roll 1d1 for the number of items to drop.
  16. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Sorry, but as a Dungeons and Dragons player, a 1d1 means that there is no reason to roll as the result is always 1.

Saying something is a 1d1 is a waste of time and confusing, unless it means something else to you. If it does mean something else to you, you may wish to use another way to express it.

To break it down, xdy means, roll x number of dice, with the number of sides of the die being y.

So, 1d6 means roll one six-sided die, with a possible result of 1,2,3,4,5 or 6, with an equal chance of each of those numbers.

2d20 would mean roll two twenty-sided dice. With the possible result being from 2 to 40, inclusive.
  17. jeskola pheerie

18. Prathun Developer

The treasure table data has fields for ITEM_NUM_DICE and ITEM_DIE_SIZE because it rolls xdy. When the data specifies 1d1, the code rolls 1d1, even if that's a waste of time to think about.
    Many treasure tables have values greater than one for x or y. The examples Ngreth provided to answer the questions about Time's Antithesis and Darkblade of the Warlord do not. I was trying to distinguish one from the other. Sorry if it was confusing. :)

Fun factoid: Encounter table data rolls xdy as well when determining how many NPCs to spawn at a spawn location, even though the vast majority of the time, it's 1d1.
    Ryak likes this.
  19. Skeetari Lorekeeper

Thanks for the info. I guess we are just exceedingly unlucky. I was partially curious if any patches had effected the loot tables or the MoTM, which I thought was unlikely. Just sucks when you beat the odds in a bad way. Quite frustrating.
  20. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I wonder how much server resources are wasted rolling random numbers when they are not needed. I would think an option to have a developer just put in 1 in a different field rather than have to pick dice and wind up rolling a random number would make more sense. Or better, just have the code treat 1d1 as 1, avoiding the random number generation.

I know the base EQ code is from 1998 / 1999 but this really seems like a candidate for fixing.

That brings up in my mind to wonder how EQ does random numbers. Are they created on the fly or is a list of random numbers just kept and drawn upon as needed? Note that I don't expect any answer to these questions/suggestions. As an dabbler in programming (I really don't know it), I just wonder how these things are done.

All in all, it seems like poor coding in an application that is so time dependent (meaning that everything must be fast or the players will notice the game is slow).