The Burning Lands expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Laronk, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Bigstomp Augur

I'd much rather have the product I purchase be a completed product when it launches.
    Dobbs likes this.
  2. kizant Augur

Nobody forces you to buy it.
  3. Raltar Augur

Wait for a few patches, then.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

QFT

Also, what makes an expansion complete? 100% zero bugs? All promised content there and working properly? My guess is that no expansion will ever be completely bug free. As for me, I am glad there will be another expansion in such a "long in the tooth" game. A bit pollyanaistic I suppose, but I am glad for new things to do and to divert me from a stressful life. I hope for perfection and am satisfied with excellence. At least that's what I tell my students.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  5. Allayna Augur

Title: the Legendary Snail Trail
  6. Qbert Gallifreyan

WTB a pet snail that wanders the zone in increments of X minutes while you adventure. Upon its return, you can grab a bundle of some foraged bits that stuck to its slime.
  7. smash Augur

Now we know there will at least come some new baking recipes.

But can we find some tools big enough for 1 snail with a tiny bit of garlic
    Nennius, Risiko and IblisTheMage like this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You don't remember the raid/mission giver in OT going on vacation then? Had this happened at a normal time it would have been fixed as a hot fix in a few days, due to the devs being on vacation we waiting over a month.

There were lots of other things broken as well, had it been a November release these would have all been ironed out before the devs went on their Christmas vacation..
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I like the idea of releasing the raids a month after the expansion goes live, gives time for flagging and exping for AA etc, more time for raid testing in beta and the devs will be back to fix anything that isn't working correctly. :)
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

The problem inherent with software is that this is very often not possible, either because there are not enough resources, but even more so because the only way to reliable test a super complex macine with tens of thousands of users that can use it in a lot of different ways is to launch it. It is a case of repairing the airplane after takeoff. EQ is arguably much more complicated than WoW or Skyrim, and DBG only have a fraction on the big games’ budgets. What I am getting to is that your expectation to EQ expansions is fair and reasonable, but I do not believe it to be possible in our context.
  11. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

It's a big snail. Could you imagine the indignity of being slain by a huge snail?
  12. chronicler Augur

Now please correct me, if I am wrong.

1: Devs are humans, just like me and you, so they cannot Work 24/7.
    2: Devs also celibrate Christmas/New Year, and wanna spend their time with their Family.
    3: They cannot be more than 1 spot at a time, and like you & me, they have to prioritize what they gotta Work on, and production (live servers), will have first attention. And well, if it is at my place, I would fire those that did not follow the orders.
    4: When that is solved, we know the devs will have vacation around Christmas/new year. they cannot be at more than 1 item at time, prioritize live servers.

So how effective do you think they will be during Christmas/New Year on a beta server ?

How many players will be at beta server, when live has got the newest content, I guess it will be rather unpopulated. there always never been a lot of people, and as you say people will spend time flagging, xp for aa.

I guess the devs will get as much out of it as 1/2 day during beta, so a lot of wasted resources. And you seem to have forgotten the feedback from RoF, which dev got that delayed content was a mistake and would not happen Again.
  13. Fian Augur

Businesses all have to plan for less workforce during Christmas. The normal solution is to extend beta test window so that enough testing is done if it falls during Christmas.

Also, I am a fan of a staggered release, as it would probably result in more subs for DBC. Their current solution for more subs is extreme flagging requirements, which isn't an issue for elite guilds, but effectively locks weaker raid guilds from ever seeing flagged raids. On Tunare, only one guild on the server ever saw RoS T2, due to EOK T4 flag requirement.

Anyway, the best compromise for staggered release:
    1 month of group only content
    3 months of only T1 raids
    T2-T3 raids released at same time so that there can still be a "first" guild for completing an expansion.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

How long you lookingat for Christmas/New Year? 2 weeks max I would say, in that time guilds are quite capable of testing things on their own, all it needs is which ever dev is scheduled to work over Chrismas/New Year to make sure that the beta server is up and running.That then gives the devs 2 weeks to fix any new found problems.

ROF was a huge dispointment especially as that final portal still goes no where!

I really hate a mid/late December release.
  15. Natal Augur

The problem is that there are not too many devs left, so things which require fixing can take much longer. They can only do so much with limited resources, and yes, if a bug becomes apparent over the holidays probably not much will be done to fix it. It is not a big deal, just wait those few weeks until they get back and they have the team to deal with it.
  16. Natal Augur

It does go somewhere, just somewhere you don't like ;)
  17. segap Augur

Which is why a post holiday release makes much more sense. Us customers should not have to deal with a broken product and no support. The developers deserve their holiday time.
  18. baider Elder

I think many many players have wanted a return of PoP, I came back when VoA came out and I am almost positive I will once again return to EQ because I have always had the most fun/best raids/grouping in PoP type expansions.
  19. IblisTheMage Augur

Plenty of EQ devs, relatively speaking, amount being done in monthly patches appears to me to have been steady or growing over the last 3 years. Maybe also a function of increased productivity and improved code base, where tech debt is being paid off.
    Tucoh likes this.
  20. Bigstomp Augur

Agreed, but there are big bonus's to buying early/pre-order.

I just want the content to work so I get what i paid for instead of broken stuff.

Ship to ship battles.