EQ vs FQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Cicelee Augur

Back in June, I made a decision to end my EQ playing days primarily because the job I had was making it hard for me to make raid attendance. I did come back for a very brief period of time in early July, then logged on once in late August. I now have a new job, a normal Monday through Friday office job, which allows me to raid and play... yet I have not had that urge. Which surprises me, because I always had that urge (to varying degrees) for close to 18 years. Maybe that urge will return in expansion Beta, but for now (as odd as it sounds to me), I am EQ free.

However, I visit these boards at least once a day. Sometimes 2-3. Which makes me wonder, is FQ more addicting than EQ? Is it more fun and enjoyable to read and laugh and shake your head at dumb posts and threads (which this one probably qualifies as both) than it is killing monsters in a game?

Am I in the minority? Is FQ really better than EQ?
    Tarvas, Sheex, Quatr and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dreadmore Augur

I play EQ to get away from people. FQ forces interaction with you people. And you people suck :p
    But FQ is a lot less cost, commitment, and risk.
  3. Tankks New Member

It's still your connection to the game. You'll come back, we all do.
  4. Coffee Journeyman

I feel similarly. I think about EQ more than I play it probably. I want to play 40 hours a week but RL gets in the way so 10-12 is all I can muster which just doesn't get you very far.
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

The EQ-urge for.me has its own yearly cycle, with my decline is normally in late spring/early summer, and then comes back 4-6 weeks before expansion.

FQ urge... Not sure, it is better than stupid Facebook... I would probably just play more instead of FQ if that was an option,
  6. Metanis Bad Company

You remember that big sucking whirlpool in The Buried Sea? That's EQ. It'll keep sucking you back in!
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Everquest Player New Member

8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Forum Quest.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Kolani Augur

You can compensate for lack of gear with skill in ForumQuest, and you compensate for lack of skill with gear in EverQuest.
    Gyurika Godofwar and code-zero like this.
  10. Kolani Augur

Does kumquat get filtered by board settings? Just posting cause I wonder.

Edit: hilariously ridiculous.
  11. Issk Journeyman

I recently called it quits after 17 years myself - same reason, just don't have the urge. FQ is non-committal, the game is.
    Quatr likes this.
  12. Lily Augur

I haven't played EQ in 5 months or so, and I don't miss it at all. But I read the forums once or twice a week.
  13. Rickate Augur

It's a rare enough letter combination that it's simplest just to put it in the bad word filter while words like glass and crass mean you can't simply convert every posterior into ***
    Yes, progression server and/or trader count per server which requires someone paying at least $10 per month in almost all cases vastly exceeds the number of active posters if you so much as set the bar at 1 post per month. Even the count of people making any posts is pretty low and it's silly to count someone as "playing the forums" if they post about one or two changes to the game per year.

If you want to participate in forums, reddit or facebook are the obvious ones, medium is an interesting relatively recent site. Online games do tend to lead some people to the niche behavior of posting "hey guys, I don't play anymore, feel free to discuss", do you stop by the gym on the way home from work and hang out in the lobby saying "hey guys, I'm not a member anymore", then over to the grocery store to say "I haven't shopped here since Walmart added produce" then over to the high school to say "I used to go here but don't anymore"?
    Gyurika Godofwar and Metanis like this.
  14. Beimeith Lord of the Game

That's not how you play FQ. I'd tell you how to play, but talking about it would be breaking the rules of FQ.

And let's be real: FQ was much better 8 years ago. Current FQ is nothing like it used to be.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Sancus like this.
  15. IblisTheMage Augur

First rule of FQ?
  16. Beimeith Lord of the Game

No, it is just that talking about it can earn you a vacation and one of the goals of FQ is to avoid vacations while you play.
  17. Thraine Augur

FQ has more content than EQ lol
  18. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Counterpoint: I like not getting suspended for 3 days every time I drop a Simpsons meme or tell a FQ hypocrite to look in the mirror. The reduced moderation thanks to budget cuts has improved FQ in a way!
  19. Beimeith Lord of the Game

8 years ago was the old EQLive forums. They had virtually no moderation at all, especially on the weekends.

You're bad at this.
  20. ForumBoss Augur

I thought of Fester's Quest, the classic Nintendo game when I saw this post.