/tgb removal is going to hurt :(

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Angahran, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Brohg Augur

I've played a shm main in raids, for over a decade from PoP through Underfoot, and been a cle main in raids, for several accumulated years from VoA through the present. I've not turned /tgb off since the functionality was introduced 15 years ago, nor wished to. It's great. On the flipside, some dozens of times I've had to reveal this game command to folks who went through their whole EverQuesting career without knowing they could do nice things for other groups. Straight to the level cap, whatever the cap has been at the time, and this capability of their character wasn't known to them. The only place it's talked about is the loading screen that ~everyone ignores or straight up disables. Making this benefit/function the default behavior of group spells is a real move to streamline EverQuest's labyrinthine game play.

This suggestion by a couple people that they can no longer use their HoT spell, or can no longer support folks they're not grouped with, is, frankly, bewildering on several fronts. First, replacing one button (a /tgb social - which can't be used while spells are casting, among other faults) with another button (the toggle target/self function gotwar highlighted) doesn't change game play. Second - if some target is depending on your constant vigilance to survive, then taking 4 seconds out to cast a group HoT is going to kill them anyhow. Especially if you're not even casting it on them! The group heal effects aren't changed by this, btw - just so we're all recognizing that? Syllable/Word/DArb/DBal/Beacon for cle, Recourse/Intervention/InterventionAA/breastplate for shm - all of them hit your group regardless of what you're targeting. Shm have a little bit of a special case with Roar of the Lion? But if you "accidentally" cast that while targeting a tank instead of targeting the enemy, or targeting one of your own group? Then you've hit the tank group with it. They get the extra HoT, they deal a bit more damage. Exactly as would have happened in your own group.
  2. Tour Augur

3. Millianna Augur

1) Get over it, not everyone same preference as you,
    2) Take s look at several heal parses and you will see that spam heals have little impact on MT’s ability to survive,
    3) The devs are NOT going to change the way HoTs work unless people are using the spell in ways not ad intended.
  4. Brohg Augur

what?
    Warpeace likes this.
  5. Aurmoon Augur

Can you please provide a little bit more insight into this comment? As a MT, I’d say spam heals tend to be quite helpful to my staying alive...
  6. Millianna Augur

Watching a MT isn’t all that different then spam heals. You would think that 3.5 mil parse on single mt would make some sort of difference, but the mt didn’t die even when pulled most my support (1 mil parse) the following week.

There’s a fair amount AoE heals on raids that is as effective as spam geals. A shaman’s time is better spent knowing the classes he is healing, Then micro managing some tanks health that is not even in their group.

I bet you would eventually come to the same conclusion through data analysis of your own parses.
  7. Brohg Augur

So because some tank somewhere lives sometimes without you in particular casting direct heals on them - your conclusion is that spam healing doesn't matter? This conversation gets wilder and wilder.
    Azonic and Bigstomp like this.
  8. Axel Furry Hats OP

If you are judging your healing based on heal parses, you are looking at data wrong. Heal parses are very inaccurate.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

As someone who plays both a spam-ee (warrior) and spam-er (cleric) with different raid teams, I can tell you those absolutely are the MT's ability to survive (obviously they need to be pushing their buttons as well - keeping the tank up is a team game).
  10. Bigstomp Augur

They're accurate, but are very easy to interpret poorly. Healers are hard to evaluate. There is no one number that says one is good or bad.

You can inflate a heal parse on a tank by ignoring your group. That doesn't make you a good healer.
    You can inflate your cast count (another metric) many different ways. That doesn't make you a good healer.
    You can look at who dies or not but sometimes stuff happens. That doesn't evaluate a healer.

Add all 3 together and you start to get a reasonable picture over time.

Over time is important because there is way too much random to judge a healer (or probably anyone) from one event.
    Azonic and Beimeith like this.
  11. Bigstomp Augur

As a raid leader, this is when I would find a new shaman or perform an addition by subtraction in my raid force.
    Sheex and Act of Valor like this.
  12. Millianna Augur

Heal parses are perfectly acceptable if know how to read the parse correctly. In both cases the raid setup, time, and dps is nearly identical. The difference between parses in mt ended up being in my group.

Since in both cases no one died, the data indicates that both my group and MT do need as much support as I initially thought. My time is better spent elsewhere (dps).

My conclusion is 100% accurate - a shaman placed in a dps group should focus healing efforts on group (not mt outside of group). Knowing how each class operates and timing heals is better than quantity.

So go back to stat 101 and learn how to analyze data prior to making dumb comments.
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Perhaps you should follow your own advice, friend.
  14. Verily Tjark Augur

Can we lock this thread already?
    gotwar likes this.
  15. Millianna Augur

Preferences are preferences. Just because my preferences are different than yours does NOT make it wrong. I’m just an average shaman with still a bit to learn, but at least I have the willingness to learn and know how to analyze data.

This thread should have locked ages ago.
  16. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You are? You've stated you outright refuse to try something different.
    Brohg and Cicelee like this.
  17. Millianna Augur

I refused to change preference of using tgb toggle, or simply being able to target 1 person. I do need to change that preference. I stated my reasons why. I never said I not willing to learn no things based on data. “Tab” isn’t anything new and will cause me to make more mistakes.
  18. Monkman Augur

Any news on the new expansion?
  19. Nenake Elder

20. Dobbs New Member

While this has been entertaining and all, please reroll as something else. If you are really trying to learn to raid a shaman then stop with the "preferences", listen and learn. With ETW & our rejuv, spot healing on off/MT tanks is about as easy as it gets with out distraction from your group responsibilities. If this is a complaint about how /tgb off is such a detriment to your play style, adapt or do something different.
    Bigstomp likes this.