Should we be worried?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Brunlin, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Tucoh Augur

Does DBG's fiscal year end 12/31?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_year

edit: also as someone who has been checking the EQ site every few hours this week, some of y'all are way too worked up over the upcoming announcement!
  2. Cleaver Augur

Ya just go read the eq2 one you got almost no info about it anyway.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

As I think about it, a release in the last week of December after Christmas would be almost ideal. Those of us without a life would have something compelling to do New Year's Eve as we slog through progression.
    Tierwyn likes this.
  4. svann Augur

5. Lonestar Elder

Oh man how do you have half off RoS with no announcement letter! Oh the suspense.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. Risiko Augur

I miss the good ole days when we flew to Las Vegas, got drunk, and then drug ourselves to a conference room the next day with a hangover to see the new expansion announcement given live.

There is nothing better than watching a dev destroy the dreams of a whiner in person at one of the Q&A panels. Good times.

Bring Back Fanfaire! We need more frozen drinks and geeky chicks in dark elf costumes! And... the bearded dwarf. Bring back Brasse!
  7. Endless Augur

Never been to a fanfair, now live in Vegas, @10 miles out from the strip, would love to go.

What are the chances this is the last expansion for EQ and EQ2? And they have been secretly working on EQ3 (Next, rebuild) like the ex DBG employee said? I was thinking if that was true, we'd know more about it, but late September and we have no idea on what the new (last?) expansion is.
  8. WorriedinNorrath Elder

50% off the previous expansion was historically announced with the new expansion. What's going on o_O
  9. Risiko Augur

While I wish they were working on EQ3, there is no reason to believe they are or would.

Personally, I want to know what happened to all of the work Smedley said they were putting in to creating EQ3 the two or more years before they scrapped it to start over and renamed it EQ Next.

There were artist renderings of the pre-EQ Next (aka EQ3) that we got shown at Fan Faire (SoE Live) before the announcement by Smedley that they had scrapped that work and started over on EQ Next. I liked the artist renderings they had shown. Did all of that work get thrown out? Surely they didn't just delete a couple years of work to start over on EQ Next.

I know that Smedley said that they scrapped it because it wasn't fun, and they were looking for something more exciting (or something along those lines) which lead to the Minecraft-like EQ Next we were presented with the following year at the conference. Well, I don't want "new and exciting". I want EQ1 on an up to date game client and server built on a modern code base that can be extended more easily for future expansions.

Everybody in the industry always wants to make something "new and different". I'm old. I don't want new. I wan the same, but just more of it. Yes. I did want Starwars Galaxies to be EverQuest in space. I didn't want something "completely different". sigh...
  10. CrazyLarth Augur

Did not some new Euro laws go into effect this year about games once announced must have a go live date hard coded I am sure that effected any announcement for all games.
  11. svann Augur

Did not hear that and it sounds unlikely.
    Tierwyn likes this.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It is odd that EQ2 gets their expansion name, theme, and boss mob featured. Perhaps, the devs want to make this expansion release extra special for the 20th Anniversary or pre-release event needs more testing. Maybe, Roxxlyy could write brief lore piece(s) which lead up to the actual expac announcement.
  13. Monkman Augur

14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Meanwhile Ashes of Creation is moving right along in development and has beautiful graphics. A little PVP heavy but they are making adjustments based on player input - what a concept ya? Expect this game long before Panteon or what ever that ever incubating game is. EQ gonna have some competition especially since both those games can be donated too by players to help development.
  15. Ruven_BB Augur

If this is the path they are taking, I would highly advise against it. EQ 2 just fragmented their playerbase, and other projects just failed (EQ Next, etc). You have a strong player base, just don't alienate your customer base and continue to maintain a winning formula that has allowed this game to continue for 20 years.

Ruven
  16. eqgamer Augur

This bearded dwarf? She was funny. :)

[IMG]
  17. Risiko Augur

She was great.
    Prathun and eqgamer like this.
  18. Endless Augur

Well, if evolving weapons is a big part in the next expansion....
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

EQ3 could be what they are planning for mobiles in whatever form that takes on.
  20. Defjam1 Journeyman

I don't understand anyone that plays Eq wanting a Eq 3 development. Imagine if Smedley's big lie of EQ 3 and Next hadn't ever happened. The money that was siphoned off to pay him and for every bit of development was wasted. Scrapping it after a couple years and announcing Eq next because the game they had been working on was "no fun" Then landmark , which I never could figure out. So we're building content for a game that you might use in the real game or we're building content just for the heck of it and this is supposed to be fun? Sadly that money's long gone so my next paragraph will never happen but hey its the internet i'm typing it anyway.

The only real Eq upgrade that makes any sense would be a new graphics and engine version which uses the entire current Eq 1 zones, , Npc's and our characters. Is compatible with all the new bells and whistles and 4 k monitors. With a announced new expansion where everyone's characters are moved to the new game exactly as they are at no charge except for the new expansion content. This would put the game on a level foothold against all the "I hate the graphics" crowd. Sadly i'm sure a large portion of the eq world would rebel against such an upgrade since its "new" LOL even if they get the new game version at no charge.